Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis, Exercise, and this WOE (question)

inhisgrip is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Arthritis, Exercise, and this WOE (question)

Hey everyone,

I heard a new forum was started for Arthritis so I thought I'd come check it out and get some input. I recently broke my ankle (about 5 weeks ago), had surgery on it (about 3 weeks ago), and am still not able to put weight on it. Anyway, at my last ortho. appt. the doctor warned me that it's likely I will get post traumatic arthritis in my ankle due to cartlidge damage. I was totally bummed! I'm 27 years old and am on my feet all day as a teacher. I'm trying to stay positive but I can't deny the fear I feel.

My biggest fear really right now is that I won't be able to continue with the excercising that I love to do, mainly Kick, Step, and Power classes. I've been researching online and everything I read says you should stick with lower impact exercises (swimming, cycling, and such). I really don't enjoy those. I love group aerobic classes and hate to give it up!

I guess my question for you is what type of arthritis do you have and how does it affect you with exercise and just with daily activities. Are you still able to do the things you love? And has the Atkins WOE provided any benefits in this area of your life? Thanks for your input.
    LIZ
    27/5'3''
    Highest: 365
    Restart: 352 on 10/1/07
    *Mini goal 3: 299*
    Goal: 150 (going skydiving!)

The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!

My First 5K! (that's me in the middle)

Keetje is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Arthritis, Exercise, and this WOE (question)

Hi Liz,

I came over to have a look at this board too - as I suffer from arthritis in my right knee and ankle - all a result of a motorcycle accident in my 20's.

It's a real shame about your ankle, but don't assume that arthritis is inevitable after the break - if you rehabilitate your ankle carefully it may avoid osteo-arthritis. Also there are lots of supports you can wear on your ankle when exercising to strengthen it - not high fashion, but they are a terrific help. I can imagine you are feeling very fed up at the moment, especially as you have been off your feet for a while - but try to be patient and work with your doctor towards healing and then strengthening that ankle. I expect you will get lots of exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around that ankle, which in turn will support it as it heals.

My knee causes me a lot of problems (because I got straight back up on my feet before my knee was ready - be warned!) so I tend to stick to lower impact exercises, I love to cycle, swim and do weights..and a bit of tai chi.

The best thing that you and I can do to improve our lifestyle is to get the weight down as quickly and as healthily as we can. The less strain there is on our damaged joints, the more easy it is for us to do the activities we both love - and as we both know, there is no better way to lose weight effectively and healthily than the Atkins WOE. I have lost 21 pounds and my knee is already thanking me!

What are you doing for exercise while you are off your feet?

Try not to be too worried at the moment, we are all different and your ankle may heal well and not give you too much trouble.

I hope this helps. *hugs for the poor patient*

Keetje
    SW128KG/CW128KG/GW99KG (for now)

Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Arthritis, Exercise, and this WOE (question)

Hi Liz,
    I too have arthritis but happy to say that I don't suffer with it near as much as I did when I was heavier. I also take supplements that help immensly. I take Glucosamine and also Omega 3 fish oils. They have been a huge help and i'm able to exercise and move alot better without the discomfort that I once had.
    There are some wonderful Omega 3 fish oils out on the market. They are not all created equal as far as quality. So make sure you do your homework on which one would be best for you.
    It would be a good thing to get started on these supplements now. To help along with your healing.
    Sincerely, Sherri
    MOTHEREARTH AKA SHERRI "HOW THE WORLD TURNS AS I SEE IT"
    HT: 5'10.5-Highest weight-374 lbs.
    Began 100% ATKINS 07-07-04 @ 334 lbs.
    Maintained 59 lbs Weightloss of a total of 155 lost
    My original start weight of 374

New start 01-01-12@ 315 lb
    GOAL :245 /surgery weight (full hip replacement)
    315/305.5/245 {60} pounds to go
    Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

losetocruise is offline ADBB Adventurer

Hey Liz,

I am so sorry for your injury, but at least you don't have arthritis yet and maybe nevr will! I will tell you I have very bad arthritis in both knees and have been doing jazzercise 5 days a week for two months now. They will help you modify to your level and will teach you to do as low or high impact as you want or are able. It is great fun and definitely falls into the aerobic style that you like.

My arthritis is osteoarthritis. It is one of the things that has really driven me to lose as I understand that every pound you lose takes 4 pounds of pressure of the weight bearing joints.

Good Luck!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130
    Eat to Live; Don't Live to Eat!

I had the cartilage trimmed in one knee joint and know that osteo arthritis is already starting to rear its ugly head. I take glucosamine and chondroitin and although my orthopedic surgeon isn't convinced it works, I am!! I no longer do mountain hiking without walking sticks, and I speed walk rather than jog now. I will do squats carefully with lower weights but have foregone regular lunges (although I can do step lunges). Jazzercise, weight training, elliptical and swimming are all among my choices as is golf. I haven't yet started, but several arthritic friends do water aerobics and love it. They say the lack of weight makes it very easy for their joints. I actually feel that my knees have gotten better as the muscles have gotten stronger. I don't find stairs as hard on my knees and I feel more flexible.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Thanks for all your responses. It's been 6.5 weeks since breaking my ankle... 4.5 weeks since the surgery to put it all back together. I had an ortho appt this week and they finally ordered Physical Therapy 2x's per week, with weight bearing up to 25 pounds. I'm in an aircast now so I'm able to take it off for bathing and to exercise the ankle, but no standing or walking. I never knew how long broken bones took to heal. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm feeling more positive now about the arthritis, just trying to stay positive and take things one day at a time. I can't change what's happened, I can only move forward and take what comes. I know now, more than ever, that it's SUPER important to lose this weight. The less stress on my joints the better.

Sherri and Jill, my surgeon did tell me to start taking glucosamine and chondroitin so I bought some right away from GNC and have been taking them every morning for about 2 weeks now. It also came with fish oil, so I take one of those every day too. But I didn't do my research Sherri, so I don't know if the fish oil is high quality or not... hmmm, I'll have to look into that.

Exercise has been minimal since breaking my ankle. Although I am getting a good arm workout dragging my big butt around the house with a walker and hopping on one foot! lol

I'll keep you guys posted.
    LIZ
    27/5'3''

Best wishes Liz,
    When they tell you, you are in danger of getting arthritis after an injury, it is not an immediate thing. It is just that arthritis seems to develope more easily in joints that have been injured at some point in time. You may have many arthritis free years ahead, and getting the weight off will definitely help!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Thanks Ginny, that's what I'm hoping. I just can't help but worry. Everytime I feel a pain in my ankle now I worry that it's the arthritis starting. I'm so paranoid. What does arthritis feel like? Is there any way to describe it?

Oh, also, I forgot to mention earlier that I asked the therapist earlier this week about doing kick and step classes at the gym once all this is healed. He said that would be up to the ortho doctor but that he probably wouldn't recommend such high impact exercise. I'm so bummed. Kick and Step classes are what kept me going to the gym. I actually looked forward to going to those. I can't believe how good I was finally doing at the gym and now I feel like I'm back at square one.
    LIZ
    27/5'3''

Liz,
    Arthritis takes quite a long time to build up. It is painful but as I am finding out, controllable to some degree. Weight loss is the single most effective key to pain control. One pound of weightloss takes 4 pounds of strain off the weight bearing joints, ( ankles, hips, knees, etc).

I abused my knees for years. I own a cleaning company doing new home cleaning. I spent years (24) down on my knees cleaning up paint spatters, etc. on a daily basis. Stupidly without knee pads cause "I was young and in good shape and didn't need them".

An interesting thing is that my osteoarthritis in my knee never gave me a twinge. I never even realized it was there till I went into menopause and my TOM stopped completely. Then I ent through about 6 months of agony with my right knee and after getting that under manageable control it began with my left as well.

However about a year after my tOM stopped, out of the blue I had one cycle. About 2 weeeks before, the pain magically disappeared. and stayed away for a couple of weeks after. I am convinced that hormones have a lot of impact on osteoarthritis and that is one of the reasons why it mostly affects older people (and more women then men). One of my doctors agrees completely and the other says its hogwash.

Don't know for sure, but if I'm right the odds are tiupped un youyr favor for many pain free years.

As to the exercise, try jazzercise. With two bad knees I am working out 1 to 2 hours a day now. They modify for your situation and it is one incredible work out and boy do I show the results!

Best wishes on your situation!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Thanks for the reply Ginny, Sorry to hear of your painful knees. I may have that in my future too since I've been overweight my whole life and putting unneeded stress on them. I'm working really hard to lose weight. After the ankle break my doctor told me how important it is now since some of my cartlidge is missing. If there ever was a time for me to lose it, it's NOW!

Where do you take Jazzercise? Is it a gym or a video? Sounds interesting. Thanks.
    LIZ
    27/5'3''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast