Thread: Glucosamine?

losetocruise is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Glucosamine?

On another thread, Wendy asked about glucosomine usage. I am also curious as to other folks' experience. I have always been told that glucosomine has to be combined with chondroiton to be effective.

Do any of you take it? do you take it in combo with chondroiton, alone or in a different combo and how does it affect you?
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130
    Eat to Live; Don't Live to Eat!

Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Glucosamine?

I taken it in combination with chondroitin as well as glucosamine alone. I *can* tell that the glucosamine helps my joints and the pain, but I could *not* tell any difference when the chondroitin was added. My mom, on the other hand, likes the combo, and her pain has gone down as well. We both still take our pain meds, but it's nice knowing we don't need as much.

I'm halfway through writing a new post regarding glucosamine/chondroitin for the Vita-Nutrient forum. When it is done, I'll post it in this forum as well.

Thanks Biogeek!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

ttdriver is offline ADBB Admiral

I take extra strength Osteo Biflex which is a combination of glucosamine/chondroitin and MSM for joints. Amazing stuff.

I've taken generic glucosamine/chondroitin before without nearly the improvements as Osteo Biflex gives me. I run 30+ miles every single week PAIN FREE when I take my OB ... on the rare occasions that I forget .. my hips and knees remind me ...

GOOD STUFF !

Betty
    [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ttdriver View Post
    I take extra strength Osteo Biflex which is a combination of glucosamine/chondroitin and MSM for joints. Amazing stuff.

I've taken generic glucosamine/chondroitin before without nearly the improvements as Osteo Biflex gives me. I run 30+ miles every single week PAIN FREE when I take my OB ... on the rare occasions that I forget .. my hips and knees remind me ...

GOOD STUFF !

Betty
    That is Interesting. I saw a segment from an info-mmercial this morning saying that the Glucosamine Chondroiton Supplements on the market are not regulated and often have varying degrees of product, not always as indicated on the package. Perhaps this is true and that is why the generics did not work for you. I have taken one fromt he vitamin shop and while I do think it helps, I don't think it has given the results some people claim. I think I will give the Oteo Biflex a try!

Gosh to be able to run like that with arthritis in the hips and knees is incredible. Kudos to you Betty!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Wintersnow is offline ADBB Amateur

I have been mega dosing vitamins for years. You need to take a high quality vitamin. I like Schiff Move Free. I combine glucosamine, chondroiton and MSM. It can take up to six months or more for a thereputic advantage. Don't give up on this. Take two or three of them three times a day for the first month or so. Everybody is different so it takes longer for some people.

Dr. Atkins wrote a wonderful book called "Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solutions Nature's Answer to Drugs." It is a wonderful book to start with when you need to put together a vitamin regiment for yourself. In his own words:

"Glucosamine sulfate, backed by more than twenty solidly conducted studies on people is probably the best . . . usual dose is 500mg three times per day. . . . I see no reason not to take 3,000 mg daily or more... safety is not an issue. To enhance its medicinal power, I combine it with chrondroitin sulfate, fish oils, bovine or shark cartilage, sea cucumber, cetyl myristoleate, and the antioxidants..."

Emre Yigit is offline ADBB Admirer

My aunt used to take glucosamine, chondroitin, and shark cartilage. It made a huge difference for her. She was in her 80s. But I have no idea how this affects carbs.
    Born 1967. 6' 1". Male.

Started Atkins 28th April, at 216 pounds. Met goal weight on 9th July, at 176 pounds. New goal is to become trimmer without losing weight.

Chanter7 is offline ADBB Amateur

3 blocks from Long Beach CA -- 8.5 miles from the Pacific Ocean

I'm not sure if they help or not. I've been taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin for almost a year. My knees are definitely better. The left knee gives no trouble at all and the right much less. On the other hand, I've been on Atkins and have lost 45 lbs. So that's 45 lbs less for the knees to cart around. So I'm not sure which to attribute the improvement to. Maybe both?

Cheers,

-John-

Wintersnow is offline ADBB Amateur

I used to think the same thing. But after taking it for many years I have concluded that it helps. If I don't take it one day I am miserable.

Sometimes you have to take a LOT more of it for a therapeutic advantage. And you don't want to be taking the cheapest one you can find. There is a lot to be said for Shiff Move Free. Add MSM and Chondroiten Sulfate. There are others that support too. Are you taking enough Vitamin C? You should be taking 4000 mg/day

Are you taking E and Selenium? Those help too. Plus the multivitamin, B Complex and some others.

Wintersnow

Jules831b is offline ADBB Amateur

My experience is that I took it for just over a year, both glucosamine and chondroitin and they did nothing for me, but mine was in very advanced stages of OA and both knees were grade 3 and 4's. At 40 years old I had knee replacements.
    So generally I tend to think its how advanced your OA is to whether you benefit or not. For me I did not.
    I don't know if it effects the carbs at all though.
    Kindest regards
    Jules
    Start 15th Feb 2010 = 15st 2.2lbs (211.6lbs)
    5ft 8in tall & BMI = 32.1
    Target = 10st 7lbs (147lbs) & BMI = 22.1
    Second time at Atkins !

First Goal 196lbs -
    Second Goal 182lbs -
    Third Goal 168lbs -
    Fourth Goal 154lbs -
    Fifth Goal Target Weight 147lbs -

BREATH IN .........