Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arthritis is a real NUISANCE!

cookiecate is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Re: Arthritis is a real NUISANCE!

I too have osteo Arthur Ritis and take ibuprofen when needed. I have seen the creams advertised on TV but have so far (touch wood) never needed anything else.
    I can't see why you shouldn't use the cream plus take the anti inflammatory as Diclofena Cream is just a topical analgesisc which is supposed to help to relieve muscular pain and stiffness which sounds exactly what we are after.

Keetje is offline ADBB Adventurer

Hi Ladies,

The diclofenac cream was given to me by my doctor and I do use it in conjunction with my diclofenac daily dose - so one can assume that it is ok to use with an anti-inflammatory - always best to check with the doc though.

The thing i find totally wonderful is cold gel, it is in a handy tube and it works a treat on my ankles and knees.

Keetje
    SW128KG/CW128KG/GW99KG (for now)

losetocruise is offline ADBB Adventurer

keetje, what is the brand name of the cold gel? do you know who makes it?
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130
    Eat to Live; Don't Live to Eat!

kheesan, actually the stuff you guys have been mentioning is pretty much not available here as far as I can tell. I found an online source but I am reluctant to order something that is "not yet approved". On the other hand the U.S. tests stuff ad nauseum, which is both good for us and hurtful too because sometimes we are deprived of really safe stuff far longer then we should be
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Hi Ginny,

Here is the link to the site of the manufacturers of Deep Freeze cold gel.

The Deep Freeze Range

I find this stuff very useful for those nights when the joints won't stop twinging and if you rub it in liberally it can have a good anti-inflammatory effect. They also make a spray, which is good if you have a bad back and no willing volunteers to rub in your gel. I am not sure if Deepfreeze is available in the States, but perhaps if you asked at a sports shop they might be able to point you in the direction of something similar.

This product is available in the US

Cryogel - Home

or perhaps you would like to try some arnica cream - you may find that on sale in a drug store or a health shop?

All of these products do not contain pharmaceuticals - so are safe for use with your ibuprofen. I tend to use the cold gel in preference to the diclofenac gel, which I save for real emergencies.

My arthritis is osteoarthritis which is the result of a motor cycle accident some years ago - clues of a misspent youth!

I hope they help.

Keetje

thank you so much Kheesan!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Keetje, keep plugging away with the walking. Just try to go 15 mins a day (where the trouble starts) for a couple of weeks, then try adding 5 more then next couple of weeks. Don't push yourself too hard and try not to focus on what you can't do, just do what you can do comfortably. It will increase in time.

The plus is that every pound loss is four less pounds of pressure on your knees.

I buy a cream called Voltaren in Hong Kong (usually what's here is also available in U.K.). It is a cream anti inflammatory and works great on sore backs and knees. I take it along with oral Ibuprofen and it seems to work fine together.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Jill after looking it up the diclofenac and the Voltaren are the same thing. Do you know if taking it topically on your knee can affect blood pressure. I don't know how much of this stuff is actually absorbed into the blood stream, but I know some is. A few months ago I read about someone who died after using way too much ben gay for a long period and having it absorb into their system. they must have caked it on though!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

Hi Ladies,

I have been away for a few days cycling in the Netherlands, hence why I haven't replied.

Ginny, that person must indeed have been caking on the gel in order for them to die of it! I have to admit I prefer to use just the cooling gel if I can get away with it. If I put the cooling gel on before bed, my knees are usually tons better in the morning.

Jill, yes, I have had voltarol (that is what it is called in the UK) as well - it certainly does the job! Very handy in case of extremely nasty flareups.

I have even tried herbal remedies - anyone got any experience of those?

Keetje

cookiecate is offline ADBB Admiral

I read that glucosamine could cause a stall in weight loss. I stopped taking it for a couple of days and I really noticed a huge diffeence. I usually walk on the beach for about a mile on the days I did not take my supplement I couldn't manage half a mile.

Now, whether this was because the weather has been so wet here, or my imagination but my poor old knees were very stiff and painful.

My doctor was obviously sceptical when I told him that I had lost weight doing low carb meals. He told me that if I lost a further 15lbs in three months he will operate on my knees..

Keetje, how did the holiday go? I hope the weather was better than here where I think it has rained everyday for the month of July.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast