Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arthritis is a real NUISANCE!

Keetje is offline ADBB Adventurer

Angry Arthritis is a real NUISANCE!

Hello Everybody,

Today I decided to take a bit of a walk - big mistake!! I now have one completely seized up knee and both ankles are causing me a lot of difficulty.

I usually get my exercise by using my bike - perhaps I should just stick to that in future. It is a nuisance not being able to walk very well, I am fine around the house and short distances, but if I walk for any longer than about 15 minutes the pain sets in. It can be quite embarrassing too, saying that walking is a problem. I get the feeling that people look at me as though its because of my weight. I once asked a friend who is bigger than me if she had the same problem - she said that walking was not an issue for her. Do I really have to weight until I am light as a feather before I can actually walk?

One of the other things that really gets me is that I cannot wear fashionable shoes - anything other than my flat boots or trainers just leave me crippled for several days afterwards.

All in all, feel like this --->

Keetje
    SW128KG/CW128KG/GW99KG (for now)

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

khesan is offline ADBB Adventurer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Arthritis is a real NUISANCE!

I hear you Keetje....I am ok just round house but even going round the supermarket..by the time I get to the checkout I am breaking out in a sweat from the pain. Although I am just glad I can at least walk round supermarket now has been 5 yrs of basically being chair bound for me so I except what I can do and every day work to strengthen my muscelss in the hope I can eventually do more. I have bad knees and I really pay for any outings but The joy it gives me far outweighs the pain. I think as the weight comes off the arthritis will improve as well. Just keep trying ....better then not moving at all. I can't use an exercise bike at all my knees are shot and the bending kills me.
    Hugs

Female 54 5'2"

5kg.
    10kg
    15kg.
    20kg
    25kg.

We can't go back & make a brand new start but we can start from now and make a brand new end.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for posting, nice to feel I am not alone in this! I know the arthritis gives you a lot of problems and it was kind of you to think of me.

I am probably being a bit impatient, I am fortunate in that I am able to use my bike and swim - but oh! wouldn't it be lovely to wear some nice shoes?

I got weighed in at the doctor's surgery the other day and I have now lost 10.5 kilos. I went to the shops today to get my water and was carrying a few bottles out to the bike - I thought wow! this is heavy! - but then realised that I had actually lost more than those bottles weighed.

I agree that getting out and about is far better than staying at home moping - I was just so disappointed today that the knees and ankles haven't got much better. This will not deter me though - I have been rummaging through the wardrobe for my slightly smaller clothes and am now getting into some of them. WONDERFUL!!

Thanks again,

Keetje

Blog Entries

Yep would be lovely to wear heels again lol. I have my god daughters wedding in 6 weeks and they are getting married on beach on magnetic island just off where I live so no shoes thank god! but for the reception I am at a loss to know what to do I used to wear heels and dance all night now I can't wear even the smallest heel as it puts too much pressure on my knees and ankles so I am scratching my head lol maybe some of them ballet type shoes with my long pants dont know but sure I will work something out. My favourite shoes are no shoes lol last thing I put on and first thing I take off. Isn't it great getting into all your smaller clothes. I have so many and every few weeks I drag them all out and get so excited when I find something else I can wear. Even when scales say nothing I find my clothes tell a different story so I happy.

Female 54 5'2"

5kg.
    10kg
    15kg.
    20kg
    25kg.

We can't go back & make a brand new start but we can start from now and make a brand new end.

cookiecate is offline ADBB Admiral

Keetje, You are certainly not alone. I have been on this WOE since April and have lost about 20lbs about the same as you. Walking has deffinitely got easier plus I try and walk just a little each day. I walk on the beach with my dog or just wander around my garden.

I know what you mean about shoes. Don't it just make you feel "Old" I would love some heels or even pretty girlie shoes but no I have flat sandals, trainers and some really ugly things I wear when it rains. I have developed very thick ankles and calves so I rarely wear skirts unless they are long then the sandals don't really show.

I would say keep on walking, riding your bike is great but keep your ankles flex by walking otherwise I think you just sieze up.

Hi Cate,

Trainers!! - flat sandals? oh LUXURY!! I have to wear walking boots the whole time.

Suitable in the Lake District maybe....but in London? less so. I look like a tourist.

Fortunately for all those close to me, the knees and ankles are much better today (after application of cold gel and Diclofenac cream). Does anyone use this stuff? it might have a different name in the US or Oz - I find it really helpful.

Interestingly my ankles and calves range between 'moderately shapely' and 'tree trunk' - but like you, its usually trousers and occasionally a long skirt with flattish boots to hide all the strapping on my knees and ankles.

My super doctor is holding fire until I am 12 stone - he says if things are as bad then, he will refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon.

Does your husband sell the glucosamine/chrondratin(sp) mixture?

Keetje

Hi Wendy,

The perennial problem of what to wear - been there, got the XXXXL t-shirt!

How about some trousers and a wonderful chiffony, floaty top? perhaps a few sparkles?

I have some great indoor sandals with built in insoles - drop me a pm if you want the URL - they sort of correct how your feet hit the ground and lessen the strain on your knees.

Do you wear patellar supports? I find those are quite good for me, as a preventative rather than a cure.

Keetje

cookiecate is offline ADBB Admiral

We have all of the gloop mainly for me. I take a little bit of everything. Kelp, Brewers yeast, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, glucosamine, chondratine, green lipped mussel, Ginseng, Primrose oil. I am a good specimen to try everything.

I am sure losing weight has been the greatest cure for my walking. My legs are like tree trunks all of the time. I think God was having a bad day when he made me. I feel he used bits that were left over and kind of cobbled me together.

losetocruise is offline ADBB Adventurer

cookiekate, Keesan and Keetje,

Is your arthritis osteoarthritis? or Rhumatoid?

I was interessted in the post about the Diclofenac cream. It is not available in the states but apparently can be obtained through internet source. Since it is a cream, can you still use ibuprofen orally when taking it? I can't find much on the interntet about it? Are you under doctor's care with it?
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130
    Eat to Live; Don't Live to Eat!

Blog Entries

Hi Ginny...I have osteo. Take fenec to help with pain seems to be best one I have tried so far. I take fish oil as well and use a dencorub gel which seems to help when they are really sore. Other then that I try to keep warm as I noticed that the cooler weather really starts it up. It is a awful thing to have and when it is in your joints as in knees and back it makes live miserable. I would give just about anything to be free from it but as I lose more weight I am feeling a huge difference so that is all the motivation I need to keep going. I will be very interested to see what everyone else takes or uses as here in Australia we don't seem to have as much choice as in the states.
    Hugs

Female 54 5'2"

5kg.
    10kg
    15kg.
    20kg
    25kg.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information