Thread: Squats for the arthritic

Keetje is offline ADBB Adventurer

Question Squats for the arthritic

Hello Everyone,

I am not entirely sure what a squat is! (big gap in my education). I want to try and strengthen my leg muscles a bit more - does anyone have a link for how to do these exercises safely? I would like to get a bit of practice in and maybe join a challenge next month.

All sorts of questions like - do I keep my heels on the ground? may I steady myself with a chair..etc etc.

Thanks in advance,

Keetje
    SW128KG/CW128KG/GW99KG (for now)

losetocruise is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Squats for the arthritic

keetje,
    I didn't know what squats were either but I found some good info on the internet.

Squats for the Buns, Hips and Thighs

Squat (exercise) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HOPE THIS HELPS
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130
    Eat to Live; Don't Live to Eat!

Keetje is offline ADBB Adventurer

Ginny,

You are a wonder! I am really grateful.

I have heard squats being referred to as the 'Queen of Exercises', so decided that I better get educated and try some for myself.

Good idea about using the chair, with the lack of strength around my knee joints, I suspect I may end up on my backside on the floor otherwise!

That first link has now been bookmarked.

Keetje
    SW128KG/CW128KG/GW99KG (for now)

Check out the sites and make sure that when you do them you keep your weight on your heels, stick your butt out big time while keeping your back straight not arched, and don't let your knees go past your toes when you squat. That strains the knees. Once you get doing them, add dumbbell weights (even soup cans will do). If you are lucky enough to be at a gym, use the Smith machine or barbell for a better squat, just do it carefully and stick that butt out.

If you want tips or modifications on strength training moves like this, check out the strength training thread in Exercise. There are a number of ladies who lift weights and they are a wealth of information.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Jill,
    do you do squats often. Do they give good results and on what area the most. I exercise a lot but it is not one I have ever tried. Thanks for the advice on saving your knees!
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

I used to. Then I had knee surgery and laid off for awhile. I thought walking lots was enough, but it is not. Squats work the glutes (butt muscles) and the quadriceps (the big muscles in the front and sides of the thigh. These are the powerhouse of your body in many ways. because they are big muscle groups, working on building these muscles are a key area for strength throughout the body. They also are good muscle groups for metabolism boosting. They help your whole body function better in walking, lifting, balancing. Squats and lunges (I am doing modified lunges on a step because of my knees) also help reinforce and strengthen the tissues around the knee joint. This puts less stress on the joint itself since the muscles offer more support and better tracking (less wobbling around).

I am just starting to get back to lower body work. I used to do heavy squats and lunges 2X a week and want to eventually get back there.

Sparkpeople.com is a free site that shows various moves on video so you get to see the movements. There are several good books out there that also give detailed explanations on how to do these things safely. Body for Life is one, The New Rules for Lifting for Women: How to Lift like a Man and Look like a Goddess" is also a highly recommended book. Skip over to the Strength Training for Women thread in Exercise for other recommendations. By the way, you don't get bulky. You do lose jiggle.
    Jill
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Keetje,
    have you been doing the squat exercises? are they helping? do they put strain on your knees?
    GINNY
    F
    264/240/130

I have just started diong them again and so far, so good but boy am I sore! LOL
    Jill

daisyaday is offline ADBB Amateur

Be careful if you have bad knees. I have been advised not to do them by by doctor. They do put a lot of strain on your knees.

Daisy
    Daisy