Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Positive side effect of Atkins?

FLdoodette is offline ADBB Admiral

Images

Default Re: Positive side effect of Atkins?

Refined carbs triggering the inflammation response sounds right to me ... my hands, feet and knees used to ache 24/7; much improved already. Not too much I can do with the back, courtesy of the degenerated discs ... my chiropractor keeps me fairly limber and I'm hoping as I tone my abdominals, there will be less lower back pain. Today, it really aches :P

sandradeee is offline ADBB Amateur

This is an interesting thread.

I also have arthritis in my fingers and knee's, mostly on one side. When I did Atkins previously this improved. immensley and I'm sure this time will be no different. The knee's could be from less weight bearing, but fingers are not weight bearing so I doubt the weight loss had anything to do with it.

Funnily enough, they say gout is made worse by too much protein and seafood. Yet most people say there is a substantial improvement with the diet.

***Interesting, as isn't gout from the arthritis family?

Starting 130.8kg
    • Week1 -

ssMarilyn is offline ADBB Adventurer

I have AnkylosingSpondylitis, it's a progressive disease of the spine. The spinal cord fuses together so that eventually you can't bend your back and if it goes into your neck as well, which it quite often does, you can't turn your head. Ever see an old man out walking, stooped forward and when he turns his head, he turns his whole upper body? That's AS. The AS gene feeds on starch, so arthritis is probably the same since they're quite similar in many ways. I stop all starch and my back pain goes away. I start up eating starch and the pain comes back.

Sunny_0ne is offline ADBB Admiral

My hips and knees hurt so badly before Atkins that I couldn't go without glucosamine chondroitin. If I went off it, the pain was excruciating sometimes.

I haven't taken the glucosamine since I started Atkins (due to concerns about carbs in the additives), and now I get only the mildest twinges of hip pain occasionally.

So yes, I would say that helping osteoarthritis is a definite benefit of Atkins!

I have to apologize for repeating myself in this thread. I get email notices when someone responds to this thread, but all I get in the email is the latest response, so I guess I forgot I had responded some time ago...and I did it again! Lawdy!

ShannonK is offline ADBB Admiral

Blog Entries

My experience is a little different. I am 40 years old and I found that it hurt my left knee to do Pilates. I do it anyway and try to stretch that knee out and basically work through the pain. However, it has always held me back in that "oh, I can't do that. I have a bad knee"

NOW, I started running and following Atkins faithfully and the pain in completely gone. Now I have pain in both knees equally. Ha Ha

Seriously, I am not a doctor, I definitely know that for me this WOL (including Dr. Atkins mandatory exercise policy) has changed my life. I am not in "injured" old woman anymore.

start weight: 181.6
    current weight: 176.6
    goal weight: 128

5 pounds lost

poundstolosepatti is offline ADBB Adventurer

Very true... white flour and sugars is poison to an arthritic system. I had a left hip replacement in 2002, and feel much better even with a recent 5 lb. "indy" weight loss. It is the only woe/wol that truly works for me.
    Start- 167, jan 27
    157 as of Feb 23
    Goal: 125!!!
    5' 3" tall

hopejoy is offline ADBB Admiral

Blog Entries

I too find this thread interesting. My arthritis is what brought me back here to Atkins... I have recently been diagnosed with A.S. as well, though I have had it a long time I am finally diagnosed. So, have been hearing a lot about how the 'anti-inflammatory diet' and 'no starch' diet really helps. I lost 50lbs about 4-5 years ago on Atkins (sadly I went off and gained it back). My main motivation for being back on 'atkins' is the anti inflammatory effect. It is very well documented that it helps a great deal.

For me this past year, I was so stressed out having my son deployed, I stopped exercising and stayed curled up in a ball on the couch on Facebook hoping for a glimpse of my son, and I worked a lot of extra shifts at work. I'm sure it all triggered a flare. I had Iritis in January and that made my doctors want me to see a Rheumatologist. It was very shortly after that I was dx with A.S. Kind of a relief to know what is wrong. I thought I was just super sensitive and allergic to certain foods. Eating the wrong thing would ruin a weekend or vacation because it would cause me to flare. The more I flare, the more pain I'm in and the more I wanted to comfort myself with 'comfort' food... ridiculous!!!!! I have always been very active but that time period of in-activity was the worse thing I could have ever done for myself. I just got worse and worse. A.S. can also attack the eyes, kidneys, intestines and heart... so it is pretty serious... so this is no joke that I NEED to be doing this.

I like telling people now that I'm not dieting, I'm just eating 'non inflammatory' foods and avoiding foods that cause inflammation because of my arthritis. It really takes the fight out of people instead of telling them I'm on Atkins. LOL! Awesome! I can't do the anti inflammatory food pyramid because I can't do soy products... I am tempted to go off dairy to see if I get an even better anti inflammatory effect as that is recommended.

Also I just read that roasted nuts are more inflammatory than raw nuts. So when I get to that, that is good to know.

hopejoy.

TheEbookLady is offline ADBB Amateur

I started Atkins on 5/30/13. At that point I had chronic pain in my lower back and heel - enough that I couldn't walk through a store without a cart or even to the mailbox. I have one flight of stairs in the house (13 steps) and could not ascend except by getting down on all fours to climb. Two days (yes, that's two days) later, I ran up the stairs without even touching the railing. Incidentally - the day I began was my 58th birthday and I was seriously considering buying a Hoveround. Today - 8 days later I walked a half mile. Believe me when I say that going off Atkins means dying...I'm here for life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEbookLady View Post
    I started Atkins on 5/30/13. At that point I had chronic pain in my lower back and heel - enough that I couldn't walk through a store without a cart or even to the mailbox. I have one flight of stairs in the house (13 steps) and could not ascend except by getting down on all fours to climb. Two days (yes, that's two days) later, I ran up the stairs without even touching the railing. Incidentally - the day I began was my 58th birthday and I was seriously considering buying a Hoveround. Today - 8 days later I walked a half mile. Believe me when I say that going off Atkins means dying...I'm here for life.
    Good for you! You now know the secret to better health!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast