Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Positive side effect of Atkins?

Neecy is offline ADBB Adventurer

Blog Entries

Default Positive side effect of Atkins?

Or just plain dumb luck...I'm not sure, but I've been dealing with arthritis pain in my baby fingers for a while now, its gone. Not just "less" but totally GONE! I wonder if the high carbs inflamed the joints somehow.
    36/F 5'2
    Started Induction Aug 6/08

An apple a day keeps anyone away if you throw it hard enough!

ssMarilyn is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Positive side effect of Atkins?

I have ankylosing spondylitis, which is a form of arthritis in my spine. The AS gene feeds on starch, so I imagine regular arthritis would have the same problem? When I eat starch, I have pain in different places, but when I eat basically just protein, I have no pain.

DLS
    DLS is offline ADBB Advocate

Blog Entries

I have degenerative disc disease (arthritis) in my lower back and neck. The last time it acted up really bad I actually popped the lower disc out of place where it meets the tailbone! OUCH! Could sit without crying.
    I sure hope this Atkins helps me to take off the weight and take the pressure off my back and slows down the disease.
    I hate getting old!

Donna
    200/191/160
    start date 8-27-08
    10,000+ steps a day
    64+ ounces of water a day

JimboK is offline ADBB Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by DLS View Post
    I have degenerative disc disease (arthritis) in my lower back and neck.
    Same here, in the lower back anyway. Hasn't been bad at all for the last couple of years. But I'm hopeful the shrinking of the gut will help it by reducing the workload.

I hadn't thought about whether the reduced carb load might impact the disease process directly, so I'm interested whether others have experienced Neecy's observation.
    Jim

ssMarilyn is offline ADBB Adventurer

Unfortunately, degenerative disc disease is something we all get with the aging process, but some notice it sooner than others and for sure being overweight is going to aggravate it. Our bodies will THANK us for taking off the excess weight and relieving the strain!

DLS
    DLS is offline ADBB Advocate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssMarilyn View Post
    Unfortunately, degenerative disc disease is something we all get with the aging process, but some notice it sooner than others and for sure being overweight is going to aggravate it. Our bodies will THANK us for taking off the excess weight and relieving the strain!

I think that is so true! My brother in law has it too. now he is very fit. And sometimes it just hurts like a dog and he is down and out for a while with it. But I have notice before I started Atkins that if I skipped a few days of exercising it hurt much worse. Now I don't skip days at all. I want to do all I can to make this Atkins plan work for me. And if less back pain is involved then that's just icing (we can't have) on the cake (we can't have)! LOL

Donna
    200/191/160
    start date 8-27-08
    10,000+ steps a day
    64+ ounces of water a day

Colleen13 is offline ADBB Amateur

I was thinking about posting about this similar experience the other day. I have facet joint syndrome mainly in my lower back and hips. I am actually scheduled for my first round of injections on Monday! I have been suffering for years and I am only 34. Today is my 23rd day on extended induction and I have lost 12lbs. and have noticed that I don't have the same extreme stiffnes that I experienced before my start on 8/21/08.

Is it just a coincidence or is the low car lifestyle helping my back problems? I don't know but I am curious. I still have have least another 30 lbs. I'd like to lose. I don't think it is necessarily about losing 12 lbs because I have been much thinner before and ate a lot of carbs and had tons of back pain.

I haven't even had to take any pain meds since I've started induction!!!!!!

f 5'7"

215/203/170

Razzle39 is offline ADBB Advocate

I remember some where in the book a paragraph about how this lifechange will not only alleviate arthritis pain but could completely dimish it.

Anyone else remember that?
    ----------------

You make the choice to be who you were yesterday, with each new dawn we are given the opportunity to recreate ourselves.
    Started 28 July 2008
    F/39/5'7"
    SW 244/ CW 234/ GW155
    Starting BMI-38.2

Restarted March 23 2009

Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
    Or just plain dumb luck...I'm not sure, but I've been dealing with arthritis pain in my baby fingers for a while now, its gone. Not just "less" but totally GONE! I wonder if the high carbs inflamed the joints somehow.
    Refined & starchy carbohydrates causes a rapid rise in blood-glucose levels, which in turn, causes inflammation. Westerners also tend to eat too much refined foods with has high amounts of Omega 6 in it, which also causes inflammation (not to be confused with Omega 3!!). I can go into much greater detail about the biochemistry of it if you like and also give you journal article citations for you to peruse. I hate giving TOO much information when it's not needed.

Anywho...my DH and I have experienced similar reactions when reducing our carbs with our arthritis and my asthma and psoriasis has also been helped. When we've cheated, not only does our pain come back, but my psoriasis flares up in a major way!

If you don't know what psoriasis is....well, you can google some images, and they're not that pretty. Unfortunately, one of the places I get it is on my face, so believe me, I want it controlled as much as possible!

Razzle, I'm not sure where that is in the book. I'll try to look for it. It's there, I just don't remember which section.

Razzle39 is offline ADBB Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by biogeek View Post
    Razzle, I'm not sure where that is in the book. I'll try to look for it. It's there, I just don't remember which section.
    Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I didnt dream it or make it up ...LOL
    I know I saw it in the book because I have arthritis in my hands and I was hoping this menu plan would ease the pain. I have no arthritis pain at this point. I hope it stays that way!
    ----------------

You make the choice to be who you were yesterday, with each new dawn we are given the opportunity to recreate ourselves.
    Started 28 July 2008
    F/39/5'7"
    SW 244/ CW 234/ GW155
    Starting BMI-38.2

Restarted March 23 2009

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast