Thread: 57 and with severe osteo arthritis

carlosowusu is offline ADBB Amateur

Default 57 and with severe osteo arthritis

Hi,

My mum is 57 years and has severe osteo arthritis of the knees and shoulders. She would like to know what foods she should avoid to lessen the pain in her joints and possibly, a few extra vitamins or foods she CAN eat.

Thanx
    Last edited by carlosowusu; February 20th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Sunny_0ne is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Re: 57 and with severe osteo arthritis

carlosowusa, the WORST thing for my arthritis is eggplant. There's a definite connection between my eating it and hurting badly.

Some doctors think all of the vegetables in that family (nightshade) including potatoes, tomatoes and peppers are bad for arthritis. But I haven't had any effects strong enough to notice from them.

The thing that makes a difference between my living in pain and feeling normal is simply glucosamine-chondroitin, available almost everywhere. It takes about a month for it to cause a noticeable improvement, but what a difference it makes.

Sometimes I get sloppy and quit taking them. Within a few weeks, I am again in pain... which goes away when I resume taking them.

I'm not saying it's the cure for your mom. But I am saying that it will probably make a big difference. It works by building up the cushioning cartilege in the joints.

Pam112 is offline ADBB Amateur

May I just second the glucosamine/chondroitin?

I've developed arthritis in my knees and it has been quite debilitating. I use a gel with glucosamine/chondroitin in it that I get here in the UK. When I first tried it, I didn't think it would do a thing. 15 minutes after applying it to my knees, I had some relief and was astounded. Using the gel seemed to work from the start in my experience but whatever way its ingested, as long as your doctor ok's it, why not give it a go?
    Starting Size =32 UK - 5 Jan 09
    Current Size = 26 UK - 16 Feb 09

Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I am one of those believers who think white flour, diet cokes and anything made with chemicals is the cause for all our medical woos, including arthritis.
    I would suggest a diet of fresh..everything, something like the Mediterranean Diet
    Key components of the Mediterranean diet include:

Eating a generous amount of fruits and vegetables
    Consuming healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
    Eating small portions of nuts
    Drinking red wine, in moderation, for some
    Consuming very little red meat
    Eating fish on a regular basis
    There is an exercise called PACE that really helps arthritics. She might try to find a class in her area.

41 pounds down and counting

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra

julirama723 is offline ADBB Admiral

I also agree with Glucosamine/Chondroiton. Try eliminating nightshades too, as some people have a nightshade intolerance and don't know it. They're also "inflammatory" and can cause rheumatoid symptoms to flare or worsen.

Other trouble foods: gluten, corn, soy, diary.

Like desert said, stick with a fresh foods diet. Unprocessed meats, healthy fats (though you may want to avoid butter and cream due to casein), fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, a glass of wine.

carlosowusu is offline ADBB Amateur

How selfish of me!!! I should have replied to this post days ago!!! Sorry guys!!!

The good news is that the Glucosamine/Chondroitin (Seven Seas Advanced) worked like a charm! She no longer wears the band around her legs and she's feeling better and can sleep at night. I've also made her cancel eggplant from her diet which I think should help if it is a common symptom.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Jules831b is offline ADBB Amateur

Hi,
    Biofreeze gell is also good to use too.
    Glucosamine and chondrotin didn't work for me as my OA was so advanced in both knees, both being grade 3 and 4. I had knee replacements at the age of 40 (4 years ago).
    Best of luck to your mum.
    Jules
    Start 15th Feb 2010 = 15st 2.2lbs (211.6lbs)
    5ft 8in tall & BMI = 32.1
    Target = 10st 7lbs (147lbs) & BMI = 22.1
    Second time at Atkins !

First Goal 196lbs -
    Second Goal 182lbs -
    Third Goal 168lbs -
    Fourth Goal 154lbs -
    Fifth Goal Target Weight 147lbs -

BREATH IN .........

Timlin is offline ADBB Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Desertthorn View Post
    I am one of those believers who think white flour, diet cokes and anything made with chemicals is the cause for all our medical woos, including arthritis.
    I would suggest a diet of fresh..everything, something like the Mediterranean Diet

There is an exercise called PACE that really helps arthritics. She might try to find a class in her area.
    But that doesn't explain how my Grandparents suffered from dreadful arthitis. They ate fresh at all times.......no fast foods like today and no junk foods. It's more than that.....that's just too simple and things are never simple. Cutting carbs can only help though.
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

I agree with you timlin that it is complicated. I can say that with my glucosamine and moving away from all processed foods I have lost all the aches and pains I had before. Processed stuff does seem to aggravate the inflammation in my body. As you said it wouldn't hurt. I also feel cutting dairy back had a big impact. Not sure why but it did. I feel 20 years younger now.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/