Thread: Bursitis, cortisteroid shots and whooshie?

Default Bursitis, cortisteroid shots and whooshie?

I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) that is mostly in remission from childhood JRA though I do have swelling and aches and pains. As I've grown older, it has moved into my shoulders and hips. For the second time, I've aggravated my shoulder into a bursitis flareup. (The first time, I used it as an excuse to go off Atkins but I'm not going to let it happen this time). It flared up last weekend but may have been inflamed longer that that and I just didn't notice it from the usual aches and pains.

So my rheumatologist gave me shots of cortisteroids to help with the pain and inflammation and they have.

But something odd happened. I've lost 6 lbs since the shot on Tuesday of this past week. I typically only lose 1-2 lbs a week. My weight loss had been slow the past couple of weeks despite sticking to program so I was surprised when I lost 3 lbs the day after the shot and 2-3 lbs since then.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Nothing like this is in the typical side effects. I'm probably gonna run it past my doctor to see what she thinks.

My only guess is that it reduced alot of the inflammation that had been causing my body to hold on to water. The only medication I take for the arthritis is an NSAID.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

PolarBearKing is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Bursitis, cortisteroid shots and whooshie?

Did your doctor ever give you an answer?

I have advanced degenerative disc disease of my C-5/6. My doctor wanted to start me on Prednisone, but I couldn't afford the weight gain (he agreed) so we didn't go that route. I have been doing physical therapy for the last three months and it's better but not resolved (still have a little bit of a stiff neck but the tingling has gone out of my arm). Now they want to do the cortisone injection. I'm not real thrilled with the idea of getting a needle shoved into my neck and have been putting it off.

I wouldn't mind losing an extra few pounds though.

Anyways, inquiring minds want to know how you're doing and what you've learned.
    PBK - M/45/6'3"
    You're not a failure until you quit trying.

Restarted Dr Atkins Diet January 2 2010.
    Next mini goal is to get under 300 lbs. Done! 3/8/10
    Next mini goal is to make it three months without alcohol. Started 1/1/10 Done!
    Next mini weight goal is 289. Done! 4/4/10
    Next mini goal is 278 -50 Lbs Done! 6/1/10
    Next mini goal is 268
    Eventually, I'd like to join the century club.