Thread: Remission from RA

diane4996 is offline ADBB Amateur

Smile Remission from RA

I've been doing Atkins for about 2 months and noticed after the first few days that I was pain free. Totally pain free. My first blood test after I started this diet showed my sed rate had fallen to 5. The bloodwork I had done last Friday said my sed rate is 6. I saw my rheumatologist yesterday and I told her I thought I was in remission. She said that in her heart she thinks so, but as a doctor she wants to see a few more sed rates in the single numbers. She said she will learn from me about this way of eating and lessening of RA symptoms and use me as an example to her other patients. The last time I saw her, we discussed beginning Remicade. Now I'm not on any meds at all (but will go back on them immediately if symptoms come back.) I stopped meds on my own 2 months ago after the symptoms disappeared, but now the dr agrees that it's ok to stay off them . I feel like a new person!! I know Atkins can't make any claims about helping RA, but I'm giving this diet all the credit since pain went away so soon after starting it.

atkinsgal08 is offline ADBB Admiral

Blog Entries

Default Re: Remission from RA

What a wonderful thing to have happen!
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

Browneyedmelly is offline ADBB Admiral

Diane, I am so happy for you.....

liv
    Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries
    Images

That is such good news.
    Startdate: November 18, 2007. Female 5'2" "accidental overeater" sw/cw/gw 75/57/57 GOAL
    4 years on Atkins. "Nothing but the rain, Sir" again

Boot Camp Announced. Sign up HERE
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...amp/115951.htm

Elimination of certain foods (a hypoallergenic diet) have been shown to reduce inflammation and other symptoms for RA. Many of those foods include grains (oats, wheat, corn), milk, and more. Wheat is often most problematic.

Here's a good article about this:
    Arthritis Center; Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout, Fibromyalgia, Alpha Nutrition

I've noticed that this Way of Eating has helped reduce my fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis symptoms tremendously. I've been in remission for a long time though I still have some symptoms (inflammation, pain, swelling, fatigue).
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

susabellle is offline ADBB Adventurer

OMG! I just happened to see this post. I have thought the same thing! This is my 2nd time on this WOE and both times it has reduced my RA symptoms to almost nothing. It has also become my "secret weapon" because if I eat too many carbs, my symptoms start to come back. I feel like a tightening in my wrists and fingers, and my legs feel heavy and my ankles start to hurt again. I told my friend who is a nurse and she talked to a Dr at her office and they both agreed the two have nothing to do with one another. I beg to differ because I KNOW when I cheat or eat a few too many carbs that the pain and swelling comes back... overnight. Eat right for 2 days and it's gone again. No meds just diet. amazing huh?
    199.6/188.2/160

Seems like there is more and more in the news about the foods we eat causing inflammation. I don't have RA but since I cut out all processed food I can feel a difference myself. No more aches and pains. Just...GONE! WooHoo!
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Timlin is offline ADBB Admiral

I have this sister........she's about to read your post and the rest of this thread.....it's certainly something I believe because I was on this program for 3 days when all symptoms of my reflux simply disappeared. I've been on the program for just over 4 years now and the only time I have trouble with reflux is if I eat carbs. I wonder how much suffering in the world comes from carbs? yikes!
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

Christina McCaleb is offline ADBB Amateur

I'm brand new to Atkins, and this thread is exactly the motivation I needed! I'm on day 3 of induction, and while I've lost 4.4 lbs in 3 days, I feel like crap- tired, cranky, headache, that sort of thing. I'm 36 years old, and was diagnosed with RA at 24. I haven't suffered permanent joint damage (thankfully) due to my Enbrel injections, and always knew losing weight and getting the strain off my joints couldn't possibly be a bad thing! Hearing these stories of symptoms completely vanishing, and people going off their meds altogether gives me a ton of hope. I know it's been a while, but I hope you're all still symptom-free! Thank you!