Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question about seeds

SexySadie is offline ADBB Amateur

Default Question about seeds

I started Induction a few days ago and I'm really psyched. But, I have a question. Flaxseed meal is supposedly "legal" for induction. However, when I was reading about chia seeds, someone said that any seeds are not allowed until OWL. That seems to contradict what everyone here seems to be saying and eating. Am I missing something here?
    "One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak." ~ G. K. Chesterton

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

XiaoXiong is offline ADBB Admiral

Images

Default Re: Question about seeds

Hi Sadie,
    Flax seed meal isn't on the list of induction foods, but in his book Dr. Atkins recommends using is as necessary to alleviate constipation. Sesame seeds also are allowed on induction, so from these two points many of us have taken it that high-fiber seeds such as flax and chia are acceptable induction foods in reasonable quantities. That's why you'll find recipes featuring flax meal in the induction-friendly menu section.

I see nothing wrong with using chia seeds but have no experience with them. I'm sure others will weigh in with opinions on using them, so hopefully you'll be able to come to a well-informed decision.

Jerry
    CarbFreeCandy likes this.
    Starting Weight: 332
    Current Weight: 243
    Goal Weight: 180

charmingphoenix is offline ADBB Adventurer

Blog Entries

Chia seeds used in water to make a gel, have been awesome with helping helping with constipation for the first couple weeks. It's never stopped my weight loss.

"Eating junk food isn't a reward, its a punishment"-Drew Carey
    hang in there!

Thanks for the clarification on this. My sister is also on Atkins and she has a terrible time with constipation. So, I'll tell her about what I found out. I haven't used the chia seeds yet, but will look into them once I feel more secure in my induction foods--I have typically stayed on induction much longer than the 2 weeks. My body is super sensitive when it comes to carbs--and it doesn't matter if they come from whole grains or whole wheat--my body craves carbs and doesn't care where they come from.

So far, I'm doing pretty good. I haven't eaten anything that I should not be eating on induction. I've used several of the recipes on this forum for my main meals and have been satisfied with all of them. Just to be sure, the mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower are ok for induction, right? Thanks for your help!!!
    "One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak." ~ G. K. Chesterton

Images

Hi Sadie,
    The mock mashed potatoes I have seen are induction friendly. Those are very popular with long-time Atkinsers!

Speaking of popular, there is a website many of the people here are familiar with and it has tons of low-carb recipes on it. The recipes all give carb counts, and those that are induction friendly are all highlighted. Here's the link: Linda's Low Carb

Jerry

Images

Cauliflower is fine in induction. I have has chia in induction, because I thought they were legal there, it didn'd affect my weight loss, but I only took about a tablespoon when I made a protein shake, which was not very often. Most times, when work got crazy and I wasn't able to have a meal. For that occasion I have three of these shakers in my desk. They are filled each with 2 scoops of protein powder, 1 tb of milled chia, cinnamon and nutmeg. In case I'm not able to go home to eat I'm just filling them with water, shake, wait a minute, shake again and have a replacement.
    CarbFreeCandy likes this.
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)

Jerry: Thanks for the website! Looks really cool! I think the key (for me, anyway) to staying faithful on this woe is variety. When I first started Atkins back in the early 2000's, I remember getting so bored from eating meat and salads that I eventually started eating the carbs again...and...well, you know what happens then. So, if I can have a variety of foods and ways to prepare foods, it will help me to stay on the straight and narrow.

Lori: Thanks for the suggestion! I bought some chocolate and vanilla soy protein isolate (and whey protein isolate) to make various things including shakes. I haven't tried any yet, but you have given me a good idea!

My sister and I are both on Atkins and we're really getting into it. She's already lost about 10 pounds. I think I've lost, too, but I don't get on the scale. I have a bad relationship with scales...
    XiaoXiong likes this.

Images

Sadie, I'm the same way: I need variety to make it interesting. And I think, if I just eat the same handful of things every day, how long can I sustain this? It would be like an interlude just to lose weight instead of a way of life necessary to keep my weight off once it's gone. So I need to keep it workable.

Quote Originally Posted by SexySadie View Post
    I started Induction a few days ago and I'm really psyched. But, I have a question. Flaxseed meal is supposedly "legal" for induction. However, when I was reading about chia seeds, someone said that any seeds are not allowed until OWL. That seems to contradict what everyone here seems to be saying and eating. Am I missing something here?
    The Rules of Induction clearly state "Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks."

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...-faqs/6782.htm (What are the Rules of Induction?)

Flax, along with psyllium husk and wheat bran, is okay to use as a fiber supplement during Induction phase. Again from the Rules of Induction:

" If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables. "

this thread has the information about using flax as a fiber supplement or a constipation reliever during Induction

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...faqs/60828.htm (FLAX and FIBER use during Induction)
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Thanks for the info, Not2Late. Interesting blog, btw!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information