Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By rscott29
  • 2 Post By RKOPrincess
  • 1 Post By SecondChancer
  • 1 Post By rscott29
  • 1 Post By Timlin
  • 1 Post By rscott29
  • 1 Post By rscott29

Thread: Restarting after a few years off.

rscott29 is offline ADBB Admirer

Default Restarting after a few years off.

I finally had a really big wake up call to kick me out of my denial regarding my type 2 diabetes. I have been horrible for going on several years with trying to change eating habits (major carb addict) and then falling off the wagon. However, over a week ago I woke up to horrible leg pain (could not touch it or put weight on it) and the leg was bright red from knee down. I had to have my mother come get me and take me to the ER. Because of my diabetes they admitted me and had me on iv antibotics, insulin (to control my blood sugar) and diabetes meds. The way that the ER nurses and dr looked at it I was afraid that I was going to lose my leg. Luckily I caught it in time and the infection was controlled; however, this was my moment to realize how stupid I have been with my health. I started making low carb choices while in the hospital (not hard as I have no appetite and only ate so that I could take the medicine given). I continued those choices now that I am home, though still no appetite so biggest issue is reminding myself to eat. In the last seven days I have lost a total of 10.4 pounds, but the best part is I have not had to have insulin because my blood sugar is remaining between 115-125 (still a little high for a fasting rate; however, antibotics and the remaining part of the infection can cause a rise in blood sugar. My blood sugar has not been this low in years!!! I am very happy and more surer than ever that I will remain on this way of eating so I stay healthy.

Starting weight (12/02/2013) was 289.4
    Current weight (12/08/2013) is 279.0
    Lori-UK likes this.
    F/height 5' 7"/restarting clean induction sw 289.4/cw 275.2

1st mini goal 275 (Reached!!!)
    2nd mini goal 250
    3rd mini goal 225
    4th mini goal 200
    5th mini goal 175
    6th mini goal 150
    7th & major goal 130

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

RKOPrincess is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Re: Restarting after a few years off.

Oh my gosh, what a scary experience! No wonder you were so motivated.

Congrats on the strides you've made, the weight, the blood sugar, and the recommitment!

I'm so pleased to see you here! I hope you'll find this group of people as motivational and amazing as I have.

Take care!
    SecondChancer and Timlin like this.

Hi, I'm Jen!
    HW 285 CW 239.1 GW 150

Female 5'7
    Start date October 1, 2013

Goals:
    ​230
    220 (New low!)

If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as **** don't deserve me at my best.
    ― Marilyn Monroe

100th 6 WEC Challenger

Welcome! What better reason to restart than for your health! You are worth it. I second, RKO. Best decision I've made coming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Timlin likes this.
    F/34yo/5'10"
    SW:201 CW:174.5 GW:
    "I never knew my own strength."

x7 x4

Thank you guys so much. I have loved the support through this group in the past so when one of the nurses at the hospital said a support group would be a good thing I immediately thought of all of you.
    Timlin likes this.

2nd mini goal 250
    3rd mini goal 225
    4th mini goal 200
    5th mini goal 175
    6th mini goal 150
    7th & major goal 130

Timlin is offline ADBB Advocate

Well may not one of us every let you down. My mother died because they could not control her diabetes and that's heartbreaking because she was a complete gem. Our family has never been the same since. I'm so pleased that you have decided not to allow that dreadful disease take you health from you.

I know the program we have all accepted into our daily lives is restrictive at times and we have to battle cravings now and then but think "alcoholic" and realize how many times they face temptations and we all expect them to step away and continue not to drink........so we should expect the same of ourselves with carb addictions. It's just the way it is and we will have to deal with it.....forever! It gets easier.

May all your choices be low carb and may all your decisions make you feel more and more empowered to face the future on a high fat/low carb program without frustrations. (Do remember to keep those fats right up there.....that to me was the hardest part. To realize I was moving away from low fat took some courage at first......but they have lied to us!!!!! LOL!)
    SecondChancer likes this.
    SW 195
    CW 147.2
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 70 years

I am sorry to hear about your mother, I have definitely realized (now out of my denial) that diabetes is something to take very seriously. I agree completely about your comments about addiction. I have heard that carb or food addiction in general is the hardest addiction t quit because while you can never touch alcohol or cigarettes again you will always need to eat food to live. In a way this time I was lucky that the lack of appetite was there for the first few days (usually my hardest days of cravings to get through) because now it is a mix of no appetite from the medications for the infection and the natural appetite suppressant that comes with following Atkins, which makes it easier for me to keep doing the right thing.
    Timlin likes this.

2nd mini goal 250
    3rd mini goal 225
    4th mini goal 200
    5th mini goal 175
    6th mini goal 150
    7th & major goal 130

Your post sounds encouraging and I think you might be right about the difficulties of stopping the carb fest we were all living with being the hardest to do but that doesn't alter the fact that we must do it. It gets easier and easier as we just simply avoid every and all simple carbs. It does require constantly standing guard, I've been doing that for 6 years now and it will never end, but to feel good and to enjoy our lives to the fullest it's totally worth it.

I have so many new clothes and I love dressing to go out now so that alone is worth all the adjustment in the world.........add to that no diabetes, good blood counts and just simply feeling good every day of my life.........and no way anyone would take this away from me or talk me into eating things that would set me back!

Keep up the optomistic outlook and be stern with that voice in your head that wants to lead you back to things that your body cannot tolerate. (Very strange that our brains don't do a better job of protecting us from ourselves isn't it?)
    SW 195
    CW 147.2
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 70 years

I agree completely about having to be on guard against carbs at all times, especially during the holidays where carbs can creep in quickly. I know for my body that even supposed good carbs, such as whole grains, can react blood sugar wise the same as a piece of enriched white bread does. So I know to stay away from “healthy” grains regardless of what some nutritionist state. A year ago I followed the American diabetes associated diet for two months by the book eating only what was considered good. My blood sugar remained elevated and I only lost roughly 2.3lbs during that two months. A week before going to the doctor I switched from what I now view as unhealthy for me diet (the diabetes diet) to the low carb lifestyle (atkins). Within the seven days before my visit my blood sugar evened out (starting at 288-300 fasting on the diabetes diet down to 140 fasting test on the good WOE (Atkins). I also lost 10 pounds in a week versus 2.3 in two months. My doctor said that this experiment was good as now I am aware of how the different foods affect my blood sugar. Sad in a way because it still was a year later, with this current hospitalization for the leg infection, before it finally knocked me out of a deep denial.
    Timlin likes this.

2nd mini goal 250
    3rd mini goal 225
    4th mini goal 200
    5th mini goal 175
    6th mini goal 150
    7th & major goal 130

Wow! BUT you look so good with the reaction to the KNOCK!!

I'm pleased to see how you discovered the 'good grains' also affect you. What we used to call a beer belly, brought on due to the barley in the beer mostly and we didn't realize that, we now see is a 'carb belly' and we see it hanging out of t-shirts all over our streets everywhere these days. I don't do grains of any kind. I know I'm allowed to eat flax meal bread but I just don't. I've learned to enjoy my life with no breads or buns and I just won't go back there. (The 75% of me that is Irish blood-line thought I could never live without bread. I never understood how anyone could possible do that long term. What would I eat????)

Please stay awake all holiday.......these are the tough days and you need to sit or stand as far away from the goodie table or trays as you can. If you can't reach it that's the best. Enjoy your visiting and good friends and don't make it a foodie holiday. (and there before you is a picture of all your future so make it enjoyable! LOL!)
    SW 195
    CW 147.2
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 70 years

cousinben is offline ADBB Amateur

i wish you stay healthy my friend i have a friend like you but he start eat only healthy food and is right now

Thread Information