Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reach ketosis faster?

LaurenNicole1792 is offline ADBB Amateur

Default How to reach ketosis faster?

Is it true that eating only 5 or so carbs a day will get me into ketosis faster than 20 a day?

Is it possible to eat too LITTLE carbs? (besides side affects such as a headache, which I can deal with)

I'm trying to get there as fast as possible.

So far today I had:

7 in. celery stalk. with a tablespoon of dressing. (1.7 carbs)
    broccoli: 2
    burger with 2 slices bacon: 0
    ounce of extra sharp cheddar cheese: 0.2 ish
    and a cup of black coffee with splenda (1)
    and water obviously.
    Last edited by LaurenNicole1792; November 28th, 2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: splenda actually is only 1 ( I used 2 tsp. powdered)

if you're happy,

and you know it.....

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

SMKelly is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: How to reach ketosis faster?

You shouldn't eat fewer than 20 net carbs a day on induction. And the same goes for each of the rungs (25 net carbs and so on). Follow DANDR and it will work.

It's the same principle as starving yourself. Instead of revving up your metabolism by eating properly (and in this case the recommended number of carbs) your body sees the deprivation as starvation and goes into starvation mode.

This means your metabolism slows down and you will more than likely retain fluid. It's the body's natural way of protecting your vital organs.

Eat the 20 net carbs. You'll be better for it all around. Ketosis takes the time it takes, and this isn't a race. AND, ketosis is not a surefire measure of weight/inches lost.

Good luck.
    HW: 360
    SW: 292
    CW: 258
    GW: 150

Mini goals:
    1: Under 275 lbs by 4/25/13 MET! 4/8/13
    2: Under 240 lbs by 6/25/13

Moderator Emeritus

It does depend on how long someone has been basking in Carbville. A single cheat meal may not keep you out of ketosis for days. However, days off plan may take 3-4 days to get back into ketosis. There's no way around waiting for the body to burn off your stores of glucose. That's just the way it works. It's good motivation not to cheat because you never know how long it will take your body to readjust. Some people find it relatively easy, others, struggle to just get back into ketosis.

Okay, that being said....I have found the Atkins recipe is the only way to get there. Drink lots of water, eat at induction level for however long it takes and LOTS of exercise. The exercise will help you burn those glucose stores faster. But...just like with weight loss, there is no magic pill. The easiest way to get to ketosis is to stay there.

By the way, don't limit your carbs to 5 grams per day. It's not good for your body. If your ultimate goal is health, you'll get back into ketosis while maintaining a healthy eating plan.
    Restarted 12/28/2008
    232.5/162/160
    F/35 yrs old/5'9"

grey74 is offline ADBB Amateur

If you aren't achieving ketosis at 20 grams carbs per day, reduce it to 10 and see how that goes. Atkins says some people are just more metabolically resistant. If that isn't working try zero carbs for a week, use the test strips and once they turn purple you can go back up to 10 carbs.....and then use this as the induction point instead of 20. If you are still struggling try the fat fast for 7 days where you eat 5 meals of 200 calories each per day, and each serving should be 90 percent fat.

atkinsgal08 is offline ADBB Admiral

Blog Entries

>> Is it possible to eat too LITTLE carbs?>>

YES!!!

>>If you aren't achieving ketosis at 20 grams carbs per day, reduce it to 10 and see how that goes. >>

This is bad advice, in my opinion.

>>If you are still struggling try the fat fast for 7 days where you eat 5 meals of 200 calories each per day, and each serving should be 90 percent fat.>>

This is TERRIBLE advice!!! NO ONE should do the Fat Fast without the direct medical supervision of your doctor. Doing it on your own can result in further damage to your metabolism.

Now ... back to your original question ... how do you know you're not in ketosis?

Undereating, both in net carbs and calories (which you appear to be doing) is counter-productive with Atkins.
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

Moderator Emeritus
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Eskiv Champion!
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by grey74
    If that isn't working try zero carbs for a week, use the test strips and once they turn purple
    Once can be in ketosis without turning the sticks purple.
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

Moderator Emeritus
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Eskiv Champion!
    Blog Entries
    Images

And a note here... this thread is from November last year. The OP hasn't been online for quite some time.
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

Quote Originally Posted by atkinsgal08 View Post
    >> Is it possible to eat too LITTLE carbs?>>

YES!!!

>>If you aren't achieving ketosis at 20 grams carbs per day, reduce it to 10 and see how that goes. >>

This is bad advice, in my opinion.

>>If you are still struggling try the fat fast for 7 days where you eat 5 meals of 200 calories each per day, and each serving should be 90 percent fat.>>

This is TERRIBLE advice!!! NO ONE should do the Fat Fast without the direct medical supervision of your doctor. Doing it on your own can result in further damage to your metabolism.

Now ... back to your original question ... how do you know you're not in ketosis?

Undereating, both in net carbs and calories (which you appear to be doing) is counter-productive with Atkins.

Well I didn't make this up. These ideas came directly from Dr. Atkins himself. He suggested them as options to help people who might possibly have some sort of metabolic resistance

Remember 20 grams is just a guide. It never says you have to eat 20, just don't go over it during induction dieting. For many people they need to do no more than 10. This information came from the Dr. himself, not anything I'm pulling out of thin air.

2big4mysize is offline ADBB Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by grey74 View Post
    Well I didn't make this up. These ideas came directly from Dr. Atkins himself. He suggested them as options to help people who might possibly have some sort of metabolic resistance
    he suggested them for folk who couldn't lose after doing 14 days of no cheating induction.

the OP ask about how to get to ketosis faster not what to do cause her 14 day induction hadn't worked.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information