Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you plan to cheat/ take a meal off.

21jellybeans is offline ADBB Admirer

Default When you plan to cheat/ take a meal off.

I have heard of many that do this once in a while. I talked to one person that her and her husband took one day off a month. Anyways. Do you have 0 carbs in the morning? We had a family BBQ and I decided to just take one night off. I had only some mayonnaise with some turkey for brunch and again for lunch. I had one plate of regular BBQ food. I was worried I would have a serious reaction since I went so long but atkins had done wonders for me. I had no insulin spike at all. Even with the ice cream. Huray. And while the food was good I did not have the my goodness I missed this so much reaction. I guess that means I am not depriving myself at all on atkins since I was like EH I wish I had enough warning to bring my own food. I am back on atkins today with no cravings or ill effects. I have however severely limited carbs again today. Do you normally do that after having a regular carb meal or just go on?

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

Default Re: When you plan to cheat/ take a meal off.

One day off - or meal off - for me can lead to a week off, month off.... It's so easy for me to say "hey! I ate _____ and it didn't cause me problems!" Been there, done that, outgrew the tshirt. Just be careful - just because there were no immediate ill effects it is easy - real easy - to start down that slippery slope and having cheat meals more often.

Oh yes. I am back on it today with no problems. Sadly I lost a lot of weight when I got very very sick and was in the hospital with a tube in my stomach. I was careless and before I knew it my weight was back. I learned my lesson. I have now worked too hard to give up now. My suppressed apatite was still going strong today thankfully. I just had to force myself to eat some dinner after a plain burger with some mayo on it for lunch.

When you go back to your regular atkins way of eating do you restrict carbs moreso the next few days?

It depends on how far off the wagon I fell. In the early days of my journey I took a couple of good detours, so I went back in induction. Now when I have an occasional slip, I just go back to my regular diet. My slips a few and far between now and usually involve fruit. Lots of tropical fruit.

liv

Blog Entries
    Images

You're in dangerous territory there. The Atkins diet works a bit different than other diets. We try to learn to eat in a whole new life style. We are making choices that trigger different hormones in our bodies and put us on a different course. This may for some of us take a long time to get a feel for but is pretty important to ensure long time success. Taking days off can be very detrimental. You break the bodies new set of of burning ketones and not relying on glucose any more. Getting back to that kind of body response again may take many days maybe for some a week. You also break your own resolve. This is about learning a new way and if for every small possible "challenge" that comes your way you take "a day off" you are not really doing the diet or you will not after a few weeks.
    Try and follow the forum and see how difficult it is for members to get back once they "took a day off" It is heartbreakingly hard.

Anyways those are things for you to think about as you make your decisions.

I did not take days off on my weightloss journey but I had some episodes where I could not control the foods and I was not really following the plan. I always put on weight in those episodes. When things got back to normal I usually went back to induction but I did not punish myself by not eating normal. I don't think that is healthy attitude for me.
    Startdate: November 18, 2007. Female 5'2" "accidental overeater" sw/cw/gw 75/57/57 GOAL
    4 years on Atkins. "Nothing but the rain, Sir" again

Boot Camp Announced. Sign up HERE
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...amp/115951.htm

LeDreamer is offline ADBB Advocate

One question: why did you decide to go off-plan for a barbeque? When I think of BBQs, I think of Atkins-legal foods. BBQs are actually the one event I don't mind going to because I'm pretty positive they'll be plenty of stuff there for me to eat. If I were to decide to go off-plan it would have to be something amazing, like I won a shopping spree to a hybrid bakery-Italian-candy shop. Lol.

As for your question, after my unintentional off-plan moment, I went back to Induction-style eating for a few days. Not 0 carbs, but at or less than 20.
    5 ft 7 in/small frame/skittle body type

Start Date: 02/01/12

Start: 169 lbs - size 12, Current: 125 lbs - size 2-4

Mini-Goal #1: 140 lbs <~ Met 05/01/12
    Mini-Goal #2: 130 lbs <~ Met 07/01/12

Restart: 09/10/12

Goal: 120
    lbs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 21jellybeans View Post
    I have heard of many that do this once in a while. I talked to one person that her and her husband took one day off a month.

I am curious, how does that work out for your friend.

How long have they been on the plan, and are they at goal?

kajlaw98 is offline ADBB Advocate

IMHO, the entire concept of "taking a day off" or planned cheating undermines the fundamental premise of this Nutritional Plan-that is, that this is a way of eating for life; not a quick fix to lifelong unhealthy eating patterns that cause weight gain. There is just no reason to cheat once you progress though the plan. If you want to "cheat" on Induction, then you are saying that you cannot go 14 days without eating carbage. You can do this without cheating, you can do anything for 2 weeks.
    5'6, 46 F

Thank you so much for your replies.. My family never has hardly any legal food at family BBQs. They are full of casseroles and pasta salads. It worked out ok. I had no cravings or anything. I hear some people talk about their addiction to sugar and I cringe thankful I never had that.

My friend says taking one day off a month works well for them both. They find they make healthy choices and eat fruits and whole grains instead of junk sugar like they used to.

Kat.L is offline ADBB Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by imeanitthistime View Post
    Just be careful - just because there were no immediate ill effects it is easy - real easy - to start down that slippery slope and having cheat meals more often.
    That's my problem when I allow myself to cheat at all, I don't think I'm ready to control planned cheat meals yet sigh...
    I never thought about the effects of a big insulin spike upon cheating, glad I read this!

Family bbq's are a very hard thing to go to when on this diet I feel for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information