Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketone test strips: Question/frustrated

Momma2threegirls is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Ketone test strips: Question/frustrated

Ok, some background. I have been doing atkins for 7 weeks now. I did a clean induction and haven't had ANY cheats what so ever. But i seem to be loosing really SLOW - (like half a pound or nothing some weeks and then *shy* of 2lbs others. I stayed on extended induction till week 4 then I wasn't loosing inches or pounds and went to OWL 1. But I still wasn't dropping (I don't count .6 pounds much of a loss). i decided to stop looking and jsut keep plugging away. Was doing a clean OWL Rung 1 and not seeing much for the effort. This past weeky my diet has been more like extended induction b/c I am eating about 14-18carbs per day and following the veggie list. I lost .8 of a pound. So...we were out and I bought some ketone test strips today and tested for the first time - I am only testing "low" not even moderate! What's the deal? What should I do to ket myself into a higher level of ketosis? I am using fitday. i am hitting the % break down and run about 68% fat 4%carbs and 29% protien. i am eating my veggies. I am drinking my water. I only have one diet rite about twice a week (and I count it). I've given up the extra foods (avocado, olives, cream ect). I've also cut my salad dressing out to once every other day. I know we don't count calories...but since fitday does I am running about 1400-2200 per day.

Any ideas? I can't exercise anymore than I already am I run myself ragged as is with the kids - there is NOTHING left to me. I am tired all the time and I have never hit the energy high other people talk about. Do the test strips vary according to the time of day? I tested at noon - my urine was strong (sorry TMI) b/c I didn't drink enough this morning.

I'm really frustrated. I like this WOE, it's easy for me from a food perspective - but the reward isn't there right now and I feel temped to go back and do more of a traditional diet like weight watchers approach.
    Erika: 32y/oF, 5'8" start Atkins 6/22/08 201.6
    highest wt. 253lbs

190 - 7/16/08
    180 - 8/16/08
    170 - 9/10/08
    164.5 10/8/08 Healthy Weight!!!
    160 - 10/31/08
    150 - 12/12/08
    148 10/2009
    147 1/2010
    146 2/20/2010
    145 - 5/2010
    140 - 6/2010

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

moniegail is offline ADBB Admiral

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ketone test strips: Question/frustrated

the concencus on the keto strips as far as the best time to use them, it's best to use them in the morning the first time you use the restroom. as far as levels of ketosis goes, there really isn't one. you either are in ketosis or you aren't. kinda like taking a pregnancy test, you either are pregnant or aren't. if the strips show even a trace amount of ketones, than you are in ketosis. it's also stated that the darker results on the strips could be a sign of dehydration. so since you showed a low result, that means you are in fact in ketosis.

even though you are losing in small amounts, you are still losing. you should be happy of that. the slower the weight comes off, the more likely you are to keep that weight off long term. instead of dropping back to extended induction, i'd try to move up another rung on OWL. not sure that dropping back down into induction levels is the best thing the try losing larger qty's of weight. this WOE is supposed to help us learn about the foods and going back to induction each time the weight stops moving could be considered yo-yo dieting. it probably wouldn't hurt for a day every so often to do induction carb count, but i wouldn't suggest doing it for weeks at a time between trying to climb the OWL rungs.

you have lost 18 lbs though and that's great in 7 weeks. if you break it down, that's about 2 1/2 lbs a week which is a healthy amount of weight to be losing. i restarted the plan on june 2nd(10 weeks ago) and have lost 25 lbs, thus about 2 1/2 lbs a week for myself. remember also, that you are exercising, and muscle weighs more than fat. have you taken your measurements? have you noticed your clothes fitting you better? i have really never done this WOE successfully along with exercise. this time i exercise almost every day. i'm already fitting into clothes now that i couldn't fit into at my current weight without exercising. i can see all the different ways that my body is transforming from the exercise.

i hope this helps, best wishes to you.
    monie

Pledging Flights Challenge
    Mount Snowdon,Wales 7,120 steps 475 flights
    175/495 flights

GreenEggsAndHam is offline ADBB Advocate

Let's assume for a second that you checked your Ketostix tomorrow morning and it was dark purple. Would that alone raise your spirits regardless of the number you read each time you weigh yourself? My guess is that the color of the stick wouldn't matter a hill of beans if you are still frustrated with the small loss each week.

For the record, I lost 4 pounds with a "light" keto measurement all week. I don't add that to brag on the weight loss (even with this week included, I am averaging 2 pounds a week) but rather to show that the color of the stick does not seem to have an effect on the amount of weight lost. If you're anything other than negative on the stick, you are in lipolysis.

I agree with Monie. You've made great progress overall -- better in fact than what most nutritionists claim is "typical" on a low calorie, low fat diet. I think you should try to focus on the total weight lost as well as how your clothes are fitting and how you feel in general compared to before you started on this journey. If you don't like small changes, don't check the scale as often. If the urge is too great to check (as it was for me in the beginning) get rid of the scale (give it to a friend or have a spouse hide it) to avoid the temptation.

Keep up the great work. You may think it's paltry, but I guarantee there are more than a handful of people on this board alone that would love to see the results you've been having. If they can stick to the plan, so can you! Good luck.
    Eric

Height: 6' 1"
    HW 294 / CW 267.5 / GW 220

zoewmu is offline ADBB Advocate

Blog Entries

You've lost 11.6 lbs in 7 weeks. That's nothing to sneeze at. Do your clothes fit better? Have you taken your measurements? You might be surprised and find that you've lost more inches than pounds.

If by the end of the year you lost about 30 pounds, would it be worth it? Because if you continue at the same rate of 11.6 lbs every 7 weeks, by the end of the year, you'll be 30 lbs. lighter.

Hang in there. You're really doing fine.
    Susan
    OWL: berries

SW/CW/GW
    211.6/178.4/140

Lost 22 pounds on low carb from June to December, 2011. My goal for 2012 is to lose more than that! Sure, I'm a slow loser. But as long as I'm moving in the right direction, I'll still make the finish line eventually!

1/1/2012 189.8
    1/30/2012 186.4
    2/28/2012 183.0
    3/31/2012 178.4

Thanks for your responses.

Eric: Yes if the stick is dark tomorrow i would feel better - I didn't think of it like Monie said (the pregnant analogy - you are or aren't) so that helps for sure. i guess in my mind it was a validation of doing it "right" even if I can't *see* or measure a change right this second...I know that's warped. Aren't we all warped about food, weight and body image some way...afterall it's why we ended up here. Yes, I am happy with the weight loss overall...I know it average to2 (and some change) lbs per week -but i keep thinking how skewed that statistic is by induction and how if I continue with my current path - then the goal I have set to achieve by Christmas is unrealistic. IT probably heps none that my sister caleld and asked me to be in her wedding party. I have never stood up in a wedding before and I love a good reason to wear a fancy dress and be a princess

I am going to take your suggestion Monie and move to the second rung and see if the extra dairy carbs make a change in things. I just wish I FELT like I had some energy and wasn't scraping the bottom of the barrel all the time.

I am not giving up!.......I'm jsut too stubborn for that

Thanks everyone for the pick-me-up...I needed it today
    highest wt. 253lbs

190 - 7/16/08
    180 - 8/16/08
    170 - 9/10/08
    160 - 10/31/08
    150 - 12/12/08
    148 10/2009
    147 1/2010
    146 2/20/2010
    145 - 5/2010
    140 - 6/2010

Moderator Emeritus

Images

First off congrats on your success thus far!!

Are you taking a multivitamin? Were you experiencing this exhaustion prior to starting Atkins? If this continues you may want to discuss this with your doctor. Just a thought.
    "You always had it. You always had the power."~~ Glinda the Good Witch
    Glenda
    F/5'9/51

I am still taking my prenatals as well as a calcium/mineral complex. I also take fish oils daily. I am 19 months post partum from my twin pregnancy and I have been PG or nursing for the last 48 months. I have had my thyroid and basic bloodwork run and everything is functioning normal. I think the consistency of it is more pronounced since doing Atkins. I certainly used food and LOTS of coffee prior to the last 7 week to give me a boost as well as soothe my stress. I have always abused food for comfort until the last 7 weeks. I LOVE that about Atkins. I love not obsessing about food and not experiencing the wild cravings. I just HATE feeling like i drag myself through the mud everyday.
    highest wt. 253lbs

190 - 7/16/08
    180 - 8/16/08
    170 - 9/10/08
    160 - 10/31/08
    150 - 12/12/08
    148 10/2009
    147 1/2010
    146 2/20/2010
    145 - 5/2010
    140 - 6/2010

kelcaybray is offline ADBB Amateur

You might want to look at the yeast section of the board and do the yeast spit test and see if that's a problem for you. It was for me! I lost 5 pounds my first week of induction then nothing the second week then found out I had yeast and started taking some supp. and took out all cheese etc from my diet and I dropped another 3 pounds this week.
    Laura

easttexasdaisy is offline ADBB Advocate

Coming from someone who has been in a wedding or two, talk openly with the bride about helping to chose a dress that will suit your body type. You should look lovely and some dresses aren't as flattering as others. I have a dear friend that I was in both of her weddings and both times she gave me the color and told me to find something flattering. Of course if there is more than one attendant that doesn't work as well, but there were 2 of us in the last wedding, dressed very differently but it really was pretty anyway. Also look into a good body shaper, it really helps to hide some of the smaller flaws. You have a lot of time between now and the wedding. Try to hang in there, even small losses add up over time. I can not imagine having twins on a daily basis, so I can imagine that you are exhausted at the end of the day. Maybe as a gift to yourself a gym membership with free childcare. I don't know if it is in your budget but it would allow you some time to exercise and you could check on your children at any time. I know our local YMCA is very affordable. If you go that route look into weights. Toning really helps you to look good in those pretty dresses.
    Hang in ther the scale is moving in the right direction.
    a work in progress. starting again
    size 18/ size 12-14/ would love to be a 6-8
    my scale drives me batty/sizes are easier

easttexasdaisy is offline ADBB Advocate

Oh and if you do weights you may see a slight increase in the scale at first, as muscle weighs more, so please don't be discouraged.
    a work in progress. starting again
    size 18/ size 12-14/ would love to be a 6-8
    my scale drives me batty/sizes are easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information