Thread: Losing inches but not weight

Longdarkhair is offline ADBB Amateur

Blog Entries

Default Losing inches but not weight

Hello, looking for some tips/info/advice. I am closing in on the end of my third week on Atkins, losing some inches but not weight. I lost 3.6 lbs my very first day on the diet and I was ecstatic, and I have not lost any weight since. Is this normal? I did not measure myself when I started but it seemed my pants were getting looser. About a week ago I finally bought a tape measure and have seen 1.5 inches disappear from my waist since then.

I don't understand how I can be losing inches but not weight when I am just first starting, has this happened to anyone else? I am keeping my carbs under 20 per day, eating my leafy greens, exercising 30 minutes a day, keeping my fat intake high, drinking my water.
    Last edited by Longdarkhair; January 13th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

liv

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Losing inches but not weight

If you like you can share your menu with us and we can have a look to see if anything needs to be tweaked.

But it is very possible to lose inches and not weight. I went quite a few months without losing a pound but I lost several sizes in the same period. Not sure about the how. But someone probably has a logical explanation. I have seen people suggest that cells may hang on to water or that muscle may be forming and replacing fat.

Inches are better than weight I think.

I hope you eat a variety of veggies and not just leafy greens. But leafy greens are good too.
    Startdate: November 18, 2007. Female 5'2" "accidental overeater" sw/cw/gw 75/57/57 GOAL
    4 years on Atkins. "Nothing but the rain, Sir" again

Boot Camp Announced. Sign up HERE
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...amp/115951.htm

poobears1972 is offline ADBB Admiral

It helps if you know the difference in fat and muscle composition. I know there's the old saying muscle weighs more than fat. But that's isn't accurate. A pound of fat weighs exactly the same as a pound of muscle, a pound! The difference is muscle is lean and compact taking up very little space while fat is fluffy and airy and takes up a lot of area. Also many of our organs are layered with fat when we are over weight. This adds a lot of inches to us without adding a huge amount of actual pounds. As you lose that fat you may not notice a big change in the scale but you will notice the inches going away.

I did a photo search for you and here's a couple of photos to explain it easier than I can. Both of these are 5lbs of fat. The second one made me laugh while grossing me out. Maybe I'll print them out and tape them to my fridge as a not so gentle reminder.

Blog Entries

Thanks you two. I am happy I am losing inches but was just perplexed why I'm not losing weight too, especially during induction. I did Atkins very successfully when I was 43 (am 50 now), I was leading a very sedentary lifestyle and followed DANDR and lost 40 pounds in 5 months. My tape measure is very much showing me results however, when I first started measuring my waist was 50.5, now it is 48! I'm gonna hang in there!

Images

Don't stress, it all evens up eventually!
    Losing Inches actually makes you look smaller!

ShiningStarr is offline ADBB Advocate

Just think about how exciting it will be when the scale catches up to the inches!! I see a woosh in your future! Keep on keeping on!!!

Starr's Journal

Mini Goals
    lose 10 pounds - 1/27/2011
    220- 4/5/2011 (it took WAY too long to get here but glad i finally did it! Onward and Downward!!)
    200-
    190-
    180-
    170-
    160-
    150-

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! So nice to see all the encouragement. =) I still have not lost any more weight, but I am not giving up. I am following the Atkins diet like I am supposed to, exercise, water, veggies, high fat, always under 20 carbs. Here is some of my reasons I think I might be having a hard time and what I am doing about it:

1)Eating too many calories (I have a hard time at late night TV time, have just started taking 3 glucomannan capsules at night and trying to restrict myself to 200 calories at late night snack. Am also going to learn to tat to keep my hands busy at night)
    2)Too much salt (putting away the salt shaker)
    3)Am on Citalopram(SSRI) for mild depression after my sister suddenly died 3 years ago. (Have ordered St John's Wort Good Mood from Vitacost and am weaning myself off the Citalopram now)
    4)Candida maybe? (Will look for some good probiotics - any good suggestions?)

Thanks everyone!

Moderator/Cancer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Longdarkhair View Post
    Am also going to learn to tat to keep my hands busy at night
    I love tatting and it is great to 'see' someone else who even knows what it is!!
    My hubby bought me some lovely antique tatting shuttles which feel so nice to use.

Look at our latest "Eat your Vegetables" challenge to get some ideas on how to get most of your net carbs from vegetables on induction
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ges/115055.htm

Not sure how much a cup of induction veggies weighs?
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...p-measure.html

Quality counts!
    Always aim for unprocessed natural foods and select the freshest produce you can find.
    Chapter 11 [page 130] DANDR

. . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/62yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsing vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elizellen View Post
    I love tatting and it is great to 'see' someone else who even knows what it is!!
    My hubby bought me some lovely antique tatting shuttles which feel so nice to use.
    I have never tatted before, I am going to try to learn to needle tat first. The only reason I picked needle over shuttle is because all the beginner books say it is easier. My dream is to tat an elaborate beautiful lace runner for my dining room table with 6 matching lace mats.

Moderator/Cancer Warrior

What a lovely sounding project!!

I have never heard of tatting without the shuttle. I shall google later and see how that works.

Look at our latest "Eat your Vegetables" challenge to get some ideas on how to get most of your net carbs from vegetables on induction
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ges/115055.htm

Not sure how much a cup of induction veggies weighs?
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...p-measure.html

Quality counts!
    Always aim for unprocessed natural foods and select the freshest produce you can find.
    Chapter 11 [page 130] DANDR

. . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/62yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsing vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Thread Information