Thread: Roasting Ideas

Copperpot is offline ADBB Amateur

Default Roasting Ideas

I usually use the Crockpot to make the roast; toss in some potatoes, and carrots and onion. I know I can't use potatoes anymore, does anyone have any ideas of what I could use as a substitute for them?

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

soon2bslim is offline ADBB Admiral
    100th 6 WEC Challenger

Default Re: Roasting Ideas

Try red/yellow/green peppers coarsley chopped, zucchini, pumpkin chunks, celery, celery root (celeriac), garlic, kohlrabi chunks, some tomato chunks. If you like hot pepper try dding some to give it a kick. Cabbage may work too, never tried it...i prefer raw cabbage in a salad on the side.

I like to sautee the onions, some garlic, peppers and perhaps some (Atkins friendly) sausage an add it to the crockpot.

If you add some carrots or potatoes, give the vegetables to someone else (the kids are the candidates in our home) ... you can still eat the roast. IMHO it is a better idea to use other, lower carb vegetables for the roast.
    Bon Appetite!
    ~Slim~

The Induction Acceptable Foods list includes a few root vegetables: radish, daikon radish, turnip, jicama, waterchestnuts and celeraic/celery root. And a sort-of-root veggie, kolrabi (the "bulb" is actually the stem.

Jicama and water chestnuts don't soften when cooked, so don't use them if you want a cooked root veggie effect. But the other veggies listed above work well. Granted they don't taste like potato, they have similar textures.

Also artichoke hearts and the peeled stems of broccoli and cauliflower can be cooked into stews. However, they cook faster so add them towards the end of cooking time
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

XiaoXiong is offline ADBB Admiral

Images

Megs,
    I realize this reply is about a month late, but are water chestnuts really allowed on induction? In fact, I don't see how they could be allowed on Atkins at all: they're super carby -- almost as bad as a potato -- and don't have much in the way of fiber.

I'd love it if they were allowed because we get them fresh here and they are delicious, but when I looked up the nutritional data it was a huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry in China View Post
    Megs,
    I realize this reply is about a month late, but are water chestnuts really allowed on induction? In fact, I don't see how they could be allowed on Atkins at all: they're super carby -- almost as bad as a potato -- and don't have much in the way of fiber.

I'd love it if they were allowed because we get them fresh here and they are delicious, but when I looked up the nutritional data it was a huge disappointment.
    They are allowed, as they are on the List. But they are limited to 1 cup. There are other "carby" veggies on the "other" list, like celery root and pumpkin.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Thread Information