View RSS Feed

Thin man inside a fat man.

Occasional random ramblings about my Atkins journey.

1. Blood Sugar vs Carbohydrate (Round Eight - One High Carb Meal)

by , September 24th, 2013 at 06:26 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    On one of Jimmy Moores' recent podcasts, it was suggested that eating one high carb meal a week would help to reset insulin levels and the thyroid in long term Atkins followers.
    As I'm now in maintenence, I though it might be a way of increasing my average weekly carb intake without causing daily cravings. The intention is to keep all other days at under 25 grams of carbs.

So last night (Monday 23rd), around 6.00pm I ate: A baked potato with butter and a patty made from 20% fat ...
  2. Two years and 161 lbs gone.

by , January 21st, 2013 at 03:27 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    After the huge 128 lb loss of the first year, I'm happy with the further 33 lb loss in the last year.

Once again all the good people on this board have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I had a planned few days off piste over Xmas, eating a full Xmas dinner and a few mince pies, this resulted in a 10 lb weight gain that week.
    It's taken to today to get rid of that weight gain so I'm back to my lowest ever adult weight of 12 st 7 lbs.

Idealy ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Blood Sugar vs Carbohydrate (Round Seven - Stevia)

by , July 29th, 2012 at 04:16 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    Canderel Stevia Powder - Maltodextrin, steviol glycosides, natural flavourings.
    Per teaspoon - 1.88 kcal, Carbs 0.47

I weighed out 5 grams of the powder and ate it dry, it had a slight caramely taste. I drank some water to wash it down.

Before: 5.9 - 35 minutes: 5.7 - 70 minutes: 5.1 - 105 minutes: 5.1

Interesting result give the raise I had in blood sugar when I took two Tesco Aspartame-based sweeteners (in tablet form).
    Looks like I can tolerate ...
  4. Love this xkcd cartoon: Cadbury Eggs

5. Blood Sugar vs Carbohydrate (Round Six)

by , March 15th, 2012 at 04:50 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    I haven't eaten any fruit since I started Atkins on the 24th January 2011, so I thought it was about time to enter the berry zone (AKA OWL 4).

So I bought some strawberries and double cream, once again my friend Paul was the control (he seems to have better tolerance to carbs than I do).

Strawberries: 185 grams (washed and quartered).
    Double Cream: 60 grams

Me: Before: 5.5 - 30 minutes: 5.1 - 60 minutes: 6.0 - 90 minutes: 5.0
    Paul: Before: 5.2 ...
  6. Raising the amount of fat.

by , March 5th, 2012 at 11:55 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    I think my body has been sulking since the winter holidays, not much of a weight loss to report in the last few weeks. So I thought I'd increase the amount of total fat I was eating to see if it would kick start some downward movement, based on the Atkins Fat Fast which allows for 1000 calories a day of which 75%-90% should be fat. As I wasn't in a stall I didn't think I'd need to go down to 1000 calories so I stuck with my BMR of 2000 calories.

Last week my daily average was: 2024 ...
    Tags: fat, fat fast
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. One Year and 128 lbs gone.

by , January 23rd, 2012 at 03:09 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    Attachment 4604

I filled out this pair of trouser one year ago today. Unbelievable change.
    Tags: 128 lbs, one year
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. The start of week 52 on Atkins

by , January 15th, 2012 at 04:09 PM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    Tomorrow will be the start of my 52nd week on Atkins, it's difficult to believe how far I've come over the last year. If it hadn't been for a tech journalist called Paul Thurott talking about the Gary Taubes book 'Why we get fat' I'd never have started low carbing and found this website. It's no lie to say that without the help and support of all the good folks here, I doubt I'd have been so successful.

Thank you, one and all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Body Image

by , January 12th, 2012 at 01:12 PM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    I've been wondering the last few weeks why I've been feeling that I'm fatter now than I was when I started on Atkins nearly a year ago. After much puzzling over this apparent disconnect I think I've found the reason. It's to do with the clothes I'm now wearing, unlike the loose, formless garments of a year ago I'm wearing tailored shirts and tapered trousers. Clothing which actually touches the skin rather than billows out around it.

Weird how your mind works isn't it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Blood Sugar vs Carbohydrate (Round Five)

by , October 22nd, 2011 at 11:45 AM (Thin man inside a fat man.)
    For some strange reason, the local 'Poundland' sells Weight Watchers products (for a
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast