Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By healthyc

Thread: Atkins and lactic acid?

tasteslikechicken is offline ADBB Admirer

Default Atkins and lactic acid?

Could anyone explain in plain English what lactic acid is, how it relates to Atkins, and if it's dangerous to keep walking when your legs are burning. I'm doing Atkins by the book, still in Induction. I'm walking an average of 5 miles a day. On Sunday I did a fundraising walk (6.2 miles), I rested Monday and yesterday. Today I was walking and I thought I was going to die - took several breaks and when I stood up the back and front of my legs were burning all the way up from my ancles to my behind. It lasted less than 10 seconds each time but it was very painful.
    [B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

michelle23464 is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Atkins and lactic acid?

Lactic acid is a by product of our bodys turning the food we eat, fat stores in our body and other things into fuel. The problem with atkins is said that eating all the meat and protein causes a build up of lactic acid in the body. A lactic acid build up can cause gout to become a problem if you are going to get gout. I think if you flush your body with lots of clean water daily you flush out the extra lactic acid. Not sure how old you are but as you get older the body takes longer to heal after excersice than it did when you were younger.

Here is what I found on Lactic acid:

Lactic acid is mainly produced in muscle cells and red blood cells. It forms when the body breaks down carbohydrates to use for energy during times of low oxygen levels. Your body's oxygen level might drop during intense exercise or if you have an infection or disease.
    A test can be done to measure the amount of lactic acid in the blood.

Here is a link on what you are looking for as it pertains to working out.

Lactic acid does more than cause fatigue
    Michelle / F / 39 / 5'1 * My Journal *
    HW: 191, CW: 144.6 (11-6-10)
    New Goal: 140
    UGW: 125-135

Yeah! only 2.6 lbs to next goal!
    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
    Mini Goals
    180 : 169 : 159 : 149 : 140 : 135 : 129

healthyc is offline ADBB Amateur

Default Re: Atkins and lactic acid?

I am a keen cyclist and 10 days into the induction phase. I have started to notice a build up of lactic acid in my thigh muscles when I cycle, I am drinking 2 ltrs of water per day and stretching after cycling which seems to help.
    The first 3 days on the Atkins diet floored my I just slept had lots of headaches and felt awful, now I cant believe how fantastic I feel, my mood is bright my energy levels are up and my head is clearer than it has been for years!!! I had no idea that sugar and carbs had such a negative impact on my clarity of thought, energy levels and moods. I have also lost 7 lbs
    Ziesha001 likes this.

healthyc is offline ADBB Amateur

Thumbs up Re: Atkins and lactic acid?

Many thanks for your considered response.
    I am still cycling daily and drink an average of 2 litres of water per day which helps to keep my system hydrated. After successfully completing the first 2 weeks on Atkins, which was hard, I have now increased my carb threshold and the lactic acid issues have gone. This diet works for me and I do see it as a new life style.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23464 View Post
    Lactic acid is a by product of our bodys turning the food we eat, fat stores in our body and other things into fuel. The problem with atkins is said that eating all the meat and protein causes a build up of lactic acid in the body. A lactic acid build up can cause gout to become a problem if you are going to get gout. I think if you flush your body with lots of clean water daily you flush out the extra lactic acid. Not sure how old you are but as you get older the body takes longer to heal after excersice than it did when you were younger.

Here is what I found on Lactic acid:

Lactic acid is mainly produced in muscle cells and red blood cells. It forms when the body breaks down carbohydrates to use for energy during times of low oxygen levels. Your body's oxygen level might drop during intense exercise or if you have an infection or disease.
    A test can be done to measure the amount of lactic acid in the blood.

Here is a link on what you are looking for as it pertains to working out.

Lactic acid does more than cause fatigue

Thread Information