Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What do you do when you are sick?

IWillDoThis is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default What do you do when you are sick?

Having spent the last 30+ years of my life having just tea and bread when i'm really sick, I was wondering, what do you do when you are sick and have lost your appetite?
    I have been derailed on atkins by sickness more than anything else and getting back has always been tough. I know taking vitamins do help to protect you from being sick however, when you do become sick its really bad. So tips would be much appreciated.

1. Cold & flu
    2. Food poisoning (especially if it was food poisoning from egg/meat or something along those lines?)
    3. Viral fever
    4. Anything else...?
    S/C/G
    134/123/110

Mini goals:
    Oct 31, '13 - 117lbs
    Nov 30, '13 - 110lbs
    Dec 31, '13 - stick to 110lbs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

Images

Default Re: What do you do when you are sick?

Hi,

I've had a cold and had broth and protein shakes. The protein shakes only, so my body wouldn't go into starvation mode. I tend to lose the appetite. I've never ever to my knowledge had food poisoning. I miss taking Strepsils for a sore throat, but the sprays are working too and are carb-free.
    IWillDoThis and blueberrylady like this.
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)

Toto2010 is offline ADBB Advocate

Images

I do exactly the same thing as Lori homemade broth and proteins. My only problem is when I have migraines, if I don't take medication it can go on for a week and during that time I just can't eat.
    IWillDoThis likes this.

Food poisoning is something I have to be always aware of especially during travelling.
    If I get it, it's dreadful especially if it makes me throw up... I have had some real bad experiences with it ending at the hospital ER.
    So that's something I am worried about...

I do get morning migraines, but usually when I'm eating carbs and eat breakfast late or when I go out in the sun too much. Usually I try to sleep it off and if that doesn't work, I take a pain killer.
    S/C/G
    134/123/110

Mini goals:
    Oct 31, '13 - 117lbs
    Nov 30, '13 - 110lbs

100th 6 WEC Challenger

Images

Fortunately food poisoning is something I rarely have problems with (maybe twice in my life)...

My recipes for illness are pretty much the same. As I mentioned I keep a well stocked medicine cabinet for a couple of reasons (1-45 miles to the pharmacy and I don't want to make that drive while sick; #2 - the roads may not be passable during the winter #3- I don't want to make those kind of choices when sick )

So I make sure I have carb free tablets, capsules, powders that cover just about any illness (headaches, cold, flu, upset stomach, diarrhea) and can usually come up with the right combination for relief. Rather than lozenges I gargle with warm salt water and then use a spray if needed. I drink lots of fluids, and if I'm sick that WILL include tea. Toasted flax bread works just about the same as regular toast for me. I handle chicken broth the easiest and make my own and freeze in ice cube trays that I put in ziplocks. Having lots of broth in the freezer makes it easy to heat up and drink plain or throw some shredded chicken, drizzle an egg into it (can you say egg drop soup), even a few veggies when I'm up to it.

If you need it, there are some low carb homemade recipes on the net for electrolyte drinks you can put together too.
    blueberrylady and Mrs_S like this.
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~

daynalyn is online now ADBB Admiral

Images

I have to ask, IWillDoThis, where are you going where food poisoning is so common?? I'm so curious.
    IWillDoThis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kntrylady View Post
    ...If you need it, there are some low carb homemade recipes on the net for electrolyte drinks you can put together too.
    I think I should take a look at them. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by daynalyn View Post
    I have to ask, IWillDoThis, where are you going where food poisoning is so common?? I'm so curious.
    Lol! daynalyn, India. Actually food poisoning is not common if you are there all your life, you sort of build up defences along the way. I have lived most of my life outside india, so when I do go back on vacation, I am very cautious about food consumed outside at restaurants and all. While on the road, especially we can be out & about for a whole day, packing food that sits that long without spoiling I have yet to try. Ofcourse I am more stronger now, recently it was my DS who got sick though we all had the same food, but you get the idea...
    S/C/G
    134/123/110

Mini goals:
    Oct 31, '13 - 117lbs
    Nov 30, '13 - 110lbs

Siccaluvn is offline ADBB Admiral

Images

They do make sugar free cough syrups and decongestion products now. Even sugar free cough drops. Yes they are probably made with chemical sweeteners, but if you're sick it's likely a short amount of time you'll be using them.

Water is your friend in all cases.....keep up with getting 60+ ounces each day, sick or not. Also tea should be fine, just try a more herbal style when sick such as orange or raspberry herbal teas.

I like to make quick soups using bouillon cubes. Sometimes I toss in some veggies or chicken chunks, but when I"m not well sipping on the broth is perfect all by itself.

Good luck!
    blueberrylady likes this.
    Sicca
    5'4"/f/36/Maintenance
    Visit My NEW maintenance Journal: (copy & paste) http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/journal-chats/111647-my-so-called-low-carb-life.html

First journal on losing - http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/journal-chats/54441-gospel-jessica.html

Post Pregnancy RESTART(after baby #2)
    PPW- 170+ Jan 2012
    SW- 160 Feb 2012 (weaning the baby, ready to start losing with Atkins!)
    CW- 135 Dec 2012
    *Goal- 135 YAY I MADE IT!!!!! (reached Sept. 2012)

IslanderNL is offline ADBB Adventurer

I guess I may be the odd one out here, as when I get sick, I want nothing to eat usually and drink only water, sometimes tea. If you have food poisoning, or some other gastrointestinal issue, the last thing you want to do is to put solids in your body and make it work even harder. You want to get those toxins out and water, clear beverages such as bouillion, etc should do the trick. As for colds, if you can't smell, you can't taste usually and food is food. Eat as you usually would, don't use the occasion to indulge yourself in garbage. In the case of fever, that heat is your body's way of showing its going to war for you. And if you have influenza, you'll be flat out in bed, too tired and sick to care about food. Don't mistake a cold for flu. They are COMPLETELY different. Help the flu along the way with lots of water. Don't force food if you don't want it. You won't starve, I promise. You won't go into starvation mode either.

If I'm sick enough to need OTC drugs, I don't care what they contain at that point I refuse to suffer for the sake of consuming a few carbs in drugs. And most cold medicines are available with sugar-free formulas these days and I can't remember the last time I had cough syrup, I usually go for tablets that are meant for multisymptoms.

Advertising and the media as well as our own history/folklore have made us buy into the "treat yourself" mentality when we get sick. Eat this, drink that, have some chocolate, drink a hot toddy. We justify going outside our mainstream of eating by saying we're ill as if that's going to give us the all clear for going off plan and gaining 5 pounds.

Whether sick or well, eat well, eat wisely, listen to your body, it will give you the clues as to what it wants and what it will cope with.

In Maintenance - Goal Reached June 1, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by IWillDoThis View Post
    Having spent the last 30+ years of my life having just tea and bread when i'm really sick, I was wondering, what do you do when you are sick and have lost your appetite?
    I have been derailed on atkins by sickness more than anything else and getting back has always been tough. I know taking vitamins do help to protect you from being sick however, when you do become sick its really bad. So tips would be much appreciated.

1. Cold & flu
    2. Food poisoning (especially if it was food poisoning from egg/meat or something along those lines?)
    3. Viral fever
    4. Anything else...?
    Here's thread dealing with the food aspect of illness.
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...enus/22623.htm (Menu Ideas during Illness and Convalescense)
    IWillDoThis and blueberrylady like this.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information