Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!! Does one cheat stop all your progress?

slimbyapril2005 is offline ADBB Amateur

Default Help!!!! Does one cheat stop all your progress?

Better yet..How LONG does one cheat stall you?

I have been doing atkins really consistently for the last two weeks. I have lost 12 pounds. I started on 12-29-07 but I didn't really get serious until two weeks ago. Today I ate two bowls of fruity pebbles, because I was going through an emotional moment. I immediatly went out to exercise and ate correctly afterwards. But I wonder if I am now going to stall for a few days and get out of ketosis all together because of the cereal. I am sooooooooo mad at myself.

My goal is to lose 3 more pounds by the 31st for a total of 15 pounds lost. It would have been possible had I not cheated. DID I MESS THAT UP?
    Last edited by slimbyapril2005; January 21st, 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: edit
    I have to lose this weight, this time, if only to prove to myself that I can!
    Married Mother of 1 Son (3 yrs. Old)
    Start Date: 5/27/09 Highest Weight: 290.4
    START Weight: 283.8 Goal Weight: 128 Current Clothes Size: 26-28 (Fits Tight on Waist and loose on legs and butt)
    Target Weight Loss: 155.8 pounds (approx. -5 pounds per week)
    Target Clothes Size: a Comfy and Roomy Size 8-10
    Goal Date: January 1, 2010

Vitamins: Will buy a prenatel multi-vitamin (plan to get preggers after reaching my goal weight)

Target Water: 1 gallon per day
    Target Calories: 1200 at ATKINS 65-30-5 RATIO

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

DigitalMocking is offline ADBB Adventurer

Default Re: Help!!!! Does one cheat stop all your progress?

Most of the weight you lose during induction is going to be water weight as you get rid of the extra water stores your body holds to help process carbs. When you "cheat" often your body can, and sometimes does, horde a bunch of water again.

This is a long term process, you really should focus on that and not day to day issues.

serendipity is offline ADBB Amateur

I only know from personal experience but when I cheated once, I didn't register for being in ketosis for about 2 days but one cheat is not going to ruin you! Keep eating like it never happened. I cheated on January 8 and had a huge dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with breaded chicken and mashed potatoes topped off with a gigantic piece of some kind of eanut butter chocolate cheesecake. The miserable feeling that accompanied it set me right back into gear the following day. I started on Jan. 2 and as of Sunday, I have lost 16 lbs. Please don't let your cheat discourage you. Just get right back into the swing of things and you'll keep up the great work and the pounds and inches will continue to melt away. Congrats on what you have accomplished so far! You're doing wonderful!

blue996 is offline ADBB Advocate

Just get right back on track. In the long term, however, you will need to find a better way to deal with your emotions rather than eating non-legal food. We are all human and have messed up a time (or two) so just focus on moving forward.
    Start Date 9/17/07 Restart Date 1/3/11
    SW 208, RSW 226, LW 158, GW 150

Back to original start weight: Met 1-27-11
    Under 200: Met 3-09-11

Mirya is offline ADBB Advocate

it can depending on the cheat. I was so close to cheating today when my car broke down that I literally went out and bought a bar of Unsweetened baking chocolate. I melted 1 square and added 2 packs of splenda. It was very dark in flavor at first but afterit went down i could taste the sweet after taste. I only had a tiny bit of this maybe half a teaspoon. That little bit DID the trick, didn't make me crave and was very much what i needed to relax on top of that deep muscle theraputic massage i had today.

(NOTE : True theraputic deep muscle massages HURT afterwards if you were REALLY knotted up.)

Restart: DEC. 16th, 2009 (why wait for Christmas)

Mini Goals:
    240 :

MAIN GOAL :
    180lbs

Journal:

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...s-journal.html

brandywine1241 is online now ADBB Admiral

Today I ate two bowls of fruity pebbles, because I was going through an emotional moment. I immediatly went out to exercise and ate correctly afterwards. But I wonder if I am now going to stall for a few days and get out of ketosis all together because of the cereal. I am sooooooooo mad at myself.

My goal is to lose 3 more pounds by the 31st for a total of 15 pounds lost. It would have been possible had I not cheated. DID I MESS THAT UP?
    Why don't you learn what you can from this glitch? Record what you ate on what date, that you exercised afterwards, and what happens in the next few days. Later you can look back and see how you react when you "fall off the wagon".

Moderator/Cancer Warrior

Well done for not deciding that once you ate off-plan you 'might as well eat xxx '(insert favourite nonAtkins carby food) and getting back on the Atkins 'wagon'

As well as what brandywine suggested to learn from the experience it might be an idea to plan what to do the next time something happens to upset your emotional balance, so you have a strategy in place to cope while staying on Atkins.

Look at our latest "Eat your Vegetables" challenge to get some ideas on how to get most of your net carbs from vegetables on induction
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ges/115055.htm

Not sure how much a cup of induction veggies weighs?
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...p-measure.html

Quality counts!
    Always aim for unprocessed natural foods and select the freshest produce you can find.
    Chapter 11 [page 130] DANDR

. . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/62yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsing vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

BeautyBox is offline ADBB Adventurer

I personally dont think it will affect you in the long run. You seem really eager to carry on. Like others have mentioned on here before dont beat yourslef up about it, you have gone back on to atkins. Have to agree with elizellen about the emotional eating...........................that happened to me last week! and I felt really rotten (and had stomach ache)but I have stayed "true" for 4 days or so now..
    Teresax

<a href="http://www.weight-loss-center.net">Weight Loss Center</a> <br /><a href="http://www.weight-

Dress size 16/18

cgdat136 is offline ADBB Admiral

it depends what level of exercise you have been getting most likely. i am keeping my finers crossed that that is the answer. because yesterday i did 110 minutes of cardio in a morning and evening workout.....but last night i did cheat too and i cheat in a big way ........i just couldnt help myself, i should have gone straight to bed (thats one way to keep yourself from cheating late at (night) but i didnt. there is no way i am getting on a scale now....for, until at least this weekend.
    Hello, my name is Christopher and
    I am with my son, Nicholas Christopher
    Start Date:10/29/07 @ 276lbs

I am 42 now

SW 276lbs / CW 264lbs / GW 190
    I am 5'10"

I gained some back but I have regained my focus!!

Chris' Journal Chat )

This is my son

Goal is to get into size 34/36 jeans again

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

kate58 is offline ADBB Advocate

There is nothing you can do now to uneat the cereal - you've done the best thing you can by getting right back on board. It may kick you out of ketosis and stop you losing for a couple of day, you may even gain a little weight, which would be mainly water retained - so drink, drink, drink. In the great scheme of things it's a blip, not a disaster, so just get on with it from here and only look back to learn from your experience.

But, and it's a big BUT, this does NOT mean that it's ok, and that you can carry on cheating now and then and it'll be just fine cos you just get on board again afterwards. That's a very slippery slope that, which leads to justifying cheats and that leads to big problems.

because I was going through an emotional moment
    When we put the word 'because' in front of something, its usually an attempt, however subconscious, to justify it. But justifying a bad decision is, well, a bad decision!

Think of what happened another way:

Would you advise someone you care for who was having a problem or an emotional moment to just go ahead and do something harmful to themselves to distract their attention? Something that was unhealthy, damaged them both physically and mentally and would with absolute certainty make them feel awful later?

I really don't think you would.

Your life, my life, everyone's life is full of emotional moments, difficult times, problems. And full of holidays, vacations, special occasions and countless other things that we can put the word 'because' in front of and use to justify bad decisions. It's very, very easy to do.

But that is exactly the kind of thinking that got many of us into the state we are in, and the kind of thing that has to end if we are to get to a better place for our health and our general sense of wellbeing.

I don't mean to be hard on you, or anyone who has a cheat, it happens. But if we attempt to justify it, it's only storing up more problems for the future.
    Kate

F, 50, 5'5 Start: Sept 5th 2007
    Start Weight: 255
    MG1: 238 Sept 23rd
    MG2: 224 Oct 23rd
    MG3: 210 Dec 3rd
    MG4: 196 Jan 26th
    MG5: 182
    My Journal

"Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information