Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pizza and cake on Atkins

spinky is offline ADBB Admirer

Default Pizza and cake on Atkins

i think that its a sad statement to think that a piece of wedding cake will never end up in your stomach...in 10 years i have gained 15 pounds back and ive eaten pretty much the way i wanted..which was fairly normal, but of course at parties i had whatever everyone else was eating...i knew when to eat stuff like that and when not too..its when you find yourself saying its ok if i eat this over and over until your ONLY making bad choices.

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

Default Re: What excuse do you have......

i will say eating healthy sure makes you feel good. but i would not want to live on a world where you couldnt get a slice of pizza or go to a party and have cake.

it may mean my little butt is up at 6am jogging though

lol

Moderator Emeritus
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Eskiv Champion!
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spinky View Post
    but i would not want to live on a world where you couldnt get a slice of pizza or go to a party and have cake.
    i think that its a sad statement to think that a piece of wedding cake will never end up in your stomach..
    spinky, this is an Atkins board. Most people here want to make Atkins their way of life, so we support them, not encourage them to eat cake and pizza. If you have a high CCLL, you can eat pizza once you reach Maintenance.
    Last edited by Georgiana; March 24th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    mission to lose likes this.
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiana View Post
    spinky, this is an Atkins board. Most people here want to make Atkins their way of life, so we support them, not encourage them to eat cake and pizza. If you have a high CCLL, you can eat pizza once you reach Maintenance.
    no no. please dont get me wrong, we are here to eat healthy and lose and or maintain a healthy weight..

what i meant was that any diet that tells you your never ever going to eat some of the things you love is a horrible diet. and the word diet isnt even a good word..

its about being healthy...and part of being healthy is eating pleasure foods from time to time...ive read the atkins book, he knows and supports those times when you go out for your favorite meal...its about being sensible...its not healthy at all to say i will never eat a pizza or taco or whatever....

im just saying its about balance thats all....making good choices..

i consider someone that is working out 5 times a week, and being eating fruit and veggies and good whole grains for weeks and weeks then going out for a slice (i am saying slice not slices) of pizza is making good choices...

we all know what works for us..if it doesnt then dont if it does then do....some people may be able to have a carby meal once a month..some maybe every other week, some weekly..everyone is different..
    Last edited by Georgiana; March 24th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I split my post between the two threads, hence modified the quote

Rhondascissorhands is offline ADBB Amateur

I understand! My brother did atkins 4 years ago. He has kept all of his weight off. He did induction, then after that, he had one carb item once a day. If he had fruit that day, then he would eat no more full on carb. Then, if he had a piece of whole wheat bread for lunch, then he ate no more carb that day. He did this until he lost his 45 pounds. He also ran on the treadmill at his work during lunch, monday thru friday. Once he lost the weight, he would eat in moderation until he saw what made his weight go up etc... then back to induction for 3 days to correct. Then he knew what he could have, and how often. He has kept up the running, and looks and feels great. He knows he can't eat whatever he wants as a general rule. He just makes the choice of when, how much, and how often. I am proud of him. I got him started on the running, and he has kept it up. He is 39 years old.

you nailed it. one must find out what works for himself or herself. glad to hear he is exercising..without that, all this is a joke....anyone can get skinny really...but to be healthy..those are two different subjects all together...

i went out for pizza once a month...that was my treat...keeping in mind, i swim, work out with weights, ride a bike , walk an hour a day etc etc...

i suppose if you just sit at your desk and go home to your couch you better really really be careful what you eat..in my case, i need a certain amount of carbs or i will lose muscle..

losing muscle is the BIGGEST diet mistake one can make. your muscles will keep the fat off the rest of your life...

its about being healthy...and part of being healthy is eating pleasure foods from time to time...ive read the atkins book, he knows and supports those times when you go out for your favorite meal...its about being sensible...its not healthy at all to say i will never eat a pizza or taco or whatever....
    He writes that in the Maintenance Chapter. In the Weight Loss Phases particularly Induction Phase, he writes you don't eat anything that's not on the list, not even "one bite". Encouraging a person to "treat" themselves with pizza or some other non-legal food is sabotaging their weight loss efforts----we don't do that on a support board.

Also what you wrote here says it all:
    in 10 years i have gained 15 pounds back and ive eaten pretty much the way i wanted
    Eating "pretty much the way i wanted" caused you to pack on 15 pounds over 10 years. So eating your way didn't do you any favors inspite of your exercise regimen and your caution with food choices, did it?

It is true some of us have metabolisms that enable us to lose weight while eating pizza and fries. But those foods are added at the appropriate phase of the Diet.

I encourage you to re-read the book, because you give the impression of someone who thinks the entire Atkins Diet is the Induction Phase and that the other weight loss phases are to be done after goal weight is attained or may be skipped completely. You see, only someone who thinks Induction is the entire Atkins diet would lament in not being able to eat fruit, vegetables, whole grains, etc. during Atkins. So do yourself a favor and really read the book if not for yourself but for your fellow dieters on this board.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by not2late View Post
    He writes that in the Maintenance Chapter. In the Weight Loss Phases particularly Induction Phase, he writes you don't eat anything that's not on the list, not even "one bite". Encouraging a person to "treat" themselves with pizza or some other non-legal food is sabotaging their weight loss efforts----we don't do that on a support board.

Also what you wrote here says it all:

Eating "pretty much the way i wanted" caused you to pack on 15 pounds over 10 years. So eating your way didn't do you any favors inspite of your exercise regimen and your caution with food choices, did it?

It is true some of us have metabolisms that enable us to lose weight while eating pizza and fries. But those foods are added at the appropriate phase of the Diet.

I encourage you to re-read the book, because you give the impression of someone who thinks the entire Atkins Diet is the Induction Phase and that the other weight loss phases are to be done after goal weight is attained or may be skipped completely. You see, only someone who thinks Induction is the entire Atkins diet would lament in not being able to eat fruit, vegetables, whole grains, etc. during Atkins. So do yourself a favor and really read the book if not for yourself but for your fellow dieters on this board.

i think you missed alot of what i said, or something else may be the problem...

the book i read was outdated..by 15-20 years..its atkins but not what you go by.

i am now incorporating more exercise, the food wasnt the biggest aspect.

15 pounds in actually 12.5 years is around a pound a year...thats not much weight gain at all....

ive also gained muscle..something you may have overlooked as muscle weighs alot more than fat.

food in most venues is getting more and more healthy, id be inclined to order a whole grain pizza which is readily available in the pizza shops that i know of...

atkins is not god nor does one follow someone off a cliff..he sets up some awesome guidelines to live by....i must say...

you contridict yourself when you said the 1st statement that atkins would never tell anyone its ok to treat yourself..

then you say:

So , i agree with you...pizza and fries and such are acceptable to a degree at the appropriate times.

The problem with alot of us i can imagine is that we didnt stop at one slice...or two...or three....

its not the one slice of pizza...its the slices..then the craving for more carbs (perhaps) and then the sense that maybe next week i can eat mexican food..etc etc..if your a weak person and not able to control yourself then i say never ever stray 1% from the book. read it like your bible. take it as the word of the universe.

if you have some control of yourself, and every once in a while (once a month or maybe just once a year i dunno) have a slice of pizza and a diet coke, sit on a park bench and let the sun hit your face and enjoy life.

15 pounds in actually 12.5 years is around a pound a year...thats not much weight gain at all....
    Actually, it's is alot. As you get older, you shouldn't be gaining weight if you want to remain healthy. You should be maintaining it.

ive also gained muscle..something you may have overlooked as muscle weighs alot more than fat.
    1 pound of anything is 1 pound. For example 1 pound of feathers weighs as much as 1 pound of gold.

food in most venues is getting more and more healthy, id be inclined to order a whole grain pizza which is readily available in the pizza shops that i know of...
    Pizza is allowed during Induction----Dr. Atkins advised you may eat the toppings and toss the crust. He called the crust a disposable plate.

atkins is not god nor does one follow someone off a cliff..he sets up some awesome guidelines to live by....i must say...
    Never said Atkins was a god, but he was a physician who had more than 30 years experience with his diet. I would have a tendency to trust in him more than someone who hasn't bothered to read his books.

you contridict yourself when you said the 1st statement that atkins would never tell anyone its ok to treat yourself..
    No contradiction at all. If you've read the book (any of his books), you will know that the weight loss portion of his diet is different than the weight maintenance portion. So what you can eat and not eat during Maintenance Phase is different from what you may and may not eat during Induction and the other Weight Loss Phases.

then you say:
    Again, read the book, and you will see that Atkins isn't all meat, eggs, cheese and little salad.

So , i agree with you...pizza and fries and such are acceptable to a degree at the appropriate times.

The problem with alot of us i can imagine is that we didnt stop at one slice...or two...or three....
    That's why if we are truly being supportive we don't tell people how "sad" it is to never eat a piece of wedding cake.

As I said, read the book and try to understand the Atkins Diet. It would be to your benefit if you do that.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

kibskix is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Re: Pizza and cake on Atkins

I've never craved pizza, and I hate cake (and wont be having it at my wedding anyway even if i weren't on Atkins), so I guess I have it easy.
    French fries were always my weakness, specially from mcdonalds, but I stopped eating fast food years ago and I don't miss it. Being healthy is infinitely more important to me than 3 minutes of tasting comfort food. I don't miss it. what I MISS is being in better shape!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information