Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in one week?!?

KnightInExile is offline ADBB Amateur

Default Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in one week?!?

I came across the article entitled, "How can I lose 20 pounds in one month", (see link: http://www.funadvice.com/q/how_can_i...one_month_7077) when I noticed someone's comment about losing 20 pounds in one week! WOW! That's impressive! I eat very healthy such as veggies and fruits and zero carbs and dairy. I jog seven days a week for one hour and my stamina is excellent. I need to lose 20 pounds and I'll be set. However, I don't think it's possible to lose 20 pounds in one week, that's sounds unrealistic to me. But if anyone here has had success in doing so, I'd very much would like to hear it!

Has anybody here tried it?

2. # ADS
    Sponsor : Circuit advertisement

kibskix is offline ADBB Admiral

Default Re: Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in one week?!?

i've seen a 62 yr old on biggest loser lose 30lbs in a week or two, but thats when you're working out what, 6-8 hours a -day-? i've seen people on this board lose 20+lbs in their first two weeks, but thats for very overweight people and its almost all water. so its possible, but not probable.

if you only have 20lbs to lose, i seriously doubt you'd drop it in a week unless you did very, very unhealthy things to yourself. there is no magical secret that will make weight drop off overnight, so don't believe any fads that tell you so.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm....let's see! I've got it!! Organ donors...I bet if they get all the organs they MIGHT lose 20 pounds fast! Wouldn't be around to enjoy it though!
    Restarted 12/28/2008
    232.5/162/160
    F/35 yrs old/5'9"

momonmission99* is offline ADBB Adventurer

I lost almost 20 pounds in 2 weeks but definitely not 1. Here I am 3 1/2 weeks in and down around 24 pounds. Almost back in onederland! 2 lbs away

Usually people who lose that much weight are seriously obese and are working extremely hard, like on biggest loser, or doing something extremely dangerous!

Moderator Emeritus
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Eskiv Champion!
    Blog Entries
    Images

Making sure we're on the same page here... are you doing Atkins? What phase of the diet are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightInExile View Post
    I eat very healthy such as veggies and fruits and zero carbs and dairy.
    All veggies, fruits and diary one can find on planet Earth have carbs. So you are not eating zero carbs. Besides, Atkins is not a "zero carbs" way of eating. But then I'm not sure you are doing Atkins anyway... although you landed at the Atkins Diet Bulletin Board.

Has anybody here tried it?
    Try what exactly? To lose 20 lbs in a week? Scheduling your weight loss is usually ineffective. Mr. Body is hardheaded and does it his own way just to piss you off.
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

kibskix is offline ADBB Admiral

I agree with G, your body will lose whenever it feels like losing, and sometimes its a brat about it. All you can really do is chart a vague estimate in the general area of where you think it will end up, and do everything right so as to not slow it down. But even doing everything right, you still might run into trouble, and sometimes it doesn't make any sense and all you can do is keep going.

I lost my first 10 on day 8 or 9, -DURING- TOM. The 2 weeks after that, I gained about 5 back, while thinking I was doing a clean induction, drinking water, getting good fats etc. I decided to cut out all the processed food I'd eaten (bacon, sausage, hot dog weenies etc) and cheese, and started working out a lot, and now i'm about 1 week away from my first month being done and i'm just now getting back to that first 10. I don't know if cutting out the foods was key, or working out, or nothing at all and my body just decided to get its butt in gear. Either way, it was really difficult to see those numbers go up when I wasn't cheating.

Try not to set your sites on a specific date, other than just to keep going in the right direction. And try not to beat yourself up when things don't continue at a constant rate. When you get frustrated is when you're likely to cheat!

KnightInExile is offline ADBB Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by momonmission99* View Post
    I lost almost 20 pounds in 2 weeks but definitely not 1. Here I am 3 1/2 weeks in and down around 24 pounds. Almost back in onederland! 2 lbs away

Usually people who lose that much weight are seriously obese and are working extremely hard, like on biggest loser, or doing something extremely dangerous!
    Really? You lost 20 pounds in two weeks? Even that's amazing! How did you do it?

Moderator/Cancer Warrior

It is often said that a 'normal' amount to lose during the first 2 weeks on induction are between 5% and 10% of the total number of pounds someone needs to lose, and some of our century club members (looking to lose 100 pounds plus in total) have achieved 20 or more pounds in those 2 weeks - some at an even rate of loss and others losing only in the first week or the second week.

If you have about 20 pounds in total to lose, a 'normal amount' to lose in the 2 weeks would be 1-2 pounds.

Look at our latest "Eat your Vegetables" challenge to get some ideas on how to get most of your net carbs from vegetables on induction
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ges/115055.htm

Not sure how much a cup of induction veggies weighs?
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...p-measure.html

Quality counts!
    Always aim for unprocessed natural foods and select the freshest produce you can find.
    Chapter 11 [page 130] DANDR

. . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/62yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsing vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

planetclaire is offline ADBB Adventurer

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in one week?!?

I can honestly say that I have lost 20 pounds in a week, not once, but 3 times! I did have to give birth though
    Laurie

fatmomma is offline ADBB Amateur

Had to laugh at that plenetclaire, same for me though it was 38 pounds in one day!!! Walked out wearing a size 2 jeans!!! AAhhhhh....to do that again with no birth would be great!

But i would think that if someone did loose 20 pounds in a week (birth aside) that there would be excess skin that would be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information