Thread: Cheat Days :)

• Display

Default Cheat Days :)

If I am on maintenance and can eat 90 carbs a day, but I decide to cheat every Sat or every other Sat (and eat whatever I want which will most likely be cheesecake and pizza, but all my beverages will be diet) how do I go about the following day? Do I do induction for two days after a cheat day and then bump up to my normal carb intake (say 90 carbs a day) or do I just resume to normal the following day and consume my 90 carbs and exercise hardcore?

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Cheat Days :)

This is one of the things one would test out in pre maintenance.
    In premaintance you would try out how you do with high carb days and if you can do them and handle them and how your scale would do.

One issue with eating something really high in carb is that you fall off and start eating high carb and then before you know it weight is back on. Not all people can handle going off and you have to decide where you are

Should be no need to go on induction but Atkins does suggest that you may be able to pool some carbs sometimes and spend them - if that is what you end up doing you may have to go down in carbs for a bit to make your off day possible.

My advice would be to be careful about this.
    Neither pizza nor cheesecake is worth piling on weight again

Cheesecake is very easy to make legal

And you can make all kinds of legal pizzas if you like

Imo, you are flirting with diaster everytime you cheat. That is exactly how most of us started regaining weight after working so hard to lose it. We start to think that it's a breeze and we can stop anytime we want to; we have it licked! But then we step on the scale and are horrified to see that we've gained 20 pounds! When you cheat, you are cheating yourself of the ability to stay in control. Just one bite 'does' matter!
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Blog Entries

I agree with all above. My lapse in diet cost me 4 lbs. up! Sounds like a small amount but it isn't just the number on the scale it is the way i felt following days of cheats. Really bloaty and swollen. Not a good feeling at all! On pre-maintainance and still working through this WOE.
    Goal 1 135
    Goal 2 130
    Goal 3 125
    Goal 4 120

Blog Entries

This is an old thread, but I'd like to chime in. For people who have struggled for years with food addiction and yo-yo dieting and poor eating habits, I would truly caution against this. I went down this path many years ago. I used the weekends to treat myself and then I'd get back to my diet during the week. Constantly reintroducing processed foods into your system doesn't really ever make you break your addiction. I eventually just lapsed into eating high-carb all the time, and I never learned my lesson, plus the weight just piled back on.

In 2005, I weighed 130 pounds. (It took me FOUR years to lose 60 pounds to get down to this weight, due to "my" version of Atkins.)

In 2008, I weighed 217 pounds.

In 2010, I weighed 233 pounds.

Not worth it.
    Start Weight: 233
    Goal Weight: 130
    Height: 5'5"

MG 1: 210 - Met 10/22/10
    MG 2: 190 - Met 12/27/10
    MG 3: 170 - Met 4/28/11
    MG 4: 150
    MG 5: 130

80 pounds down since 8-31-10!

Blog Entries

This is an old post I know! Just wanted to chime in! I have been on Atkins 9 years and maintaining 125 to 130. I have been having a cheat day once a week for the last four years. Before that my cheat day was more like once a month or every two to three months..
    Just wanted to chime in that my cheat day has not made me gain anything back. I do feel like crap up to 2 days after buy then I am fine. I have found that its not good to weigh myself either because I will gain up to five lbs in water weight. It is always off by two days though! I have been thinner when I did fewer cheat days, but I was too thin 115 at 5'6"). I have found that if i am wanting to go below 125 to 130 I have fewer cheat days. Although, I am happy where I am! The cheat days are what makes this way of eating for life okay for me.

Female--

Quote Originally Posted by tpampel View Post
    This is an old post I know! Just wanted to chime in! I have been on Atkins 9 years and maintaining 125 to 130. I have been having a cheat day once a week for the last four years. Before that my cheat day was more like once a month or every two to three months..
    Just wanted to chime in that my cheat day has not made me gain anything back. I do feel like crap up to 2 days after buy then I am fine. I have found that its not good to weigh myself either because I will gain up to five lbs in water weight. It is always off by two days though! I have been thinner when I did fewer cheat days, but I was too thin 115 at 5'6"). I have found that if i am wanting to go below 125 to 130 I have fewer cheat days. Although, I am happy where I am! The cheat days are what makes this way of eating for life okay for me.
    Is this really a "cheat day" or is it your Maintenance version of what Dr. Atkins described in Pre-Maintenance Phase?
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Images

I was wondering that too. What do you eat on those "cheat days?" For example, on New Year's Eve, I ate just the toppings and sauce off of 3 pieces of pizza (still no crust) and I considered that to be cheating because it's something I wouldn't normally eat. My body must have agreed because I gained 4.6 lbs!!! Thankfully, 4 of them are gone as of this morning.

Blog Entries

Oh def my version of maintenance... I consider it a cheat day because I load up on carbs. I'm talking about fries, blizzard,chips,cookies. Anything and everything I restrict from usually. I have maintained for 9 years though so it works for me. Will it work like this for anyone, maybe not. That is why you have to find what works for you personally and play around with it.

Female--