Thread: Any light at the end of tunnel

• Display

Default Any light at the end of tunnel

Whats up guys. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid last November (2010). After years of feeling like dirt and being hard headed and not seeing a doc I decided to go. Well long story short, we at first thought I had anxiety so we went on lexapro, only to find out from bloodwork 3 days later that I was hypo. I decided to stay on the Lexapro as my hypo was giving me some anxiety. Now please note that even though I have had my hypo symptoms probably since 2006 I was always capable of losing weight, **** I even lost 60 pounds the summer prior to being diagnosed. I was always big and had a horrible diet, but when I worked out and ate well the pound came off fairly quick. Anywho, after my diagnosis and starting on Lexapro I gained 110 lbs!!!! Christ. No I am on levothyroxine and pretty much almost leveled out and I feel pretty damn good now, I have some occasional fatigue but thats about it. My problem is i'm weighing in at almost 340 an need to lose this weight. I'm thinking it was more the lexapro as I wasn't this big when I found out I was hypo and started my levo, and my sister was on lexapro and went from like 120 to 165 within a couple months.

I am going hardcore low carb this time around and exercising no matter what, I am extrememly disgusted with myself.

Anywho, I am just curious if anyone that is hypo and is on levothyroxine have any success stories as it is going to drive me nuts if i was always able to lose and now can't. I feel good, I just here so many horror stories about levothyroxine that I don't know whats up or down. Also if it ends up being the Lexapro that was the cause does anyone else have any experience with that. I want to get back down to at least 260 but July-August.

Default Re: Any light at the end of tunnel

175 lbs down with a underactive thyroid here. So yes, it can be done.

Make sure your TSH is in range and do Atkins correctly.

Your weight loss MAY be slower, and thus, it's even more important to do Atkins correctly. Avoid common stallers and get good veggies in, move to OWL and learn what foods you can and cannot eat, and plan on following Atkins for life.

I think this Way of Eating works best for those of us with thyroid issues.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Im hypo too and anemic what are common stallers? I just need to know what to avoid
    Laura
    S:178.2/C:172.2/G:145
    Started Induction: April 1st 2013
    Hypothyroid (synthroid .137)/ Anemic

Stallers would be the common things that stall most on Atkins (or many weight loss plans) such as:

Atkins bars and shakes, cheese, nuts, sweeteners (especially aspartame but I'd watch too much Splenda too), processed foods (make your own stuff from scratch but watch sauces and salad dressings), etc.

Also, do not keep your carbs too low when trying to lose weight. Move on to OWL. The thyroid does not like too low of carbs, so be sure to move into OWL after your 2 weeks of Induction and aim for more carbs than you think. If you keep your carbs too low, the thyroid will slow down your metabolism.

Follow Atkins correctly, as in Induction then move into OWL and go up the rungs and adding back carbs and give it extra time to work as your thyroid issues will make it much slower to lose weight so also testing OWL foods and carb levels will likewise take longer. Ex. give it 2-4 weeks to test changes rather than one or two weeks that I often see folks do here.

It may be worth testing some of the goitrogen foods that we're supposed to watch too, such as cabbage, broccoli, etc. Personally, these haven't affected me, but I've heard of others that are very sensitive to these foods.

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!

I have no experience in this at all... but, I am wondering if losing 80 in 3 to 3 1/2 months is realistic. I guess people have lost that much in that short of time...but, not sure how good it is on the body to do that.

Good luck with Atkins. I love it!

Angel
    Atkins makes me

I want to be a BIG LOSER!

It really depends on how much weight you need to lose and how well your body loses weight. If you weigh over 300, then 80 may be possible. Less then that with thyroid issues? Not that likely.

But do NOT let that deter you from following Atkins correctly, doing OWL correctly, etc. I can NOT say that strong enough.

I typically lost about 40 lbs a year from about 280 or so (second time around) on, with thyroid issues, perhaps not treated correctly, and eating as cleanly (cheat free) as I could, exercising etc. I probably sat at too low of carbs and calories for some of that too. Not sure how much impact that had honestly but I'm not sure I would have lost all that much faster otherwise.

Was it frustrating? Yes, but in the end, it's worked out marvelous for me as I am NOT going to regain as I know how to and love how I eat and have no intentions of ever having to lose that much weight again. I'd much rather have the slow weight loss and keep it off for good, then lose it fast and keep yo-yo dieting.

Do not be in such a hurry to lose the weight as fast as possible. I know we all want to, me included, but when you have thyroid or other metabolic issues (like PCOS, diabetes), it's just not realistic that it's going to happen. It's best to follow Atkins correctly and let the weight loss happens as it does.

A big part of that too is accepting this is not just a diet. This is a Way of Life, a way of eating forever. You're not going to "stop dieting" and go back to how you ate before. This was hard for me to accept at first, but the more I came to understand and believe this, the more I accepted that I was eating this way for Life. And honestly? I LOVE it now, I love that I can eat healthy foods and feel satisfied and lose weight and feel so amazing.

I agree! I think that losing slower is better. It gives you more time to learn this WOE and your body adjusts to it instead of the weight quickly going off and your body and mind doesn't even have the time to figure it all out.
    Atkins makes me

I want to be a BIG LOSER!