Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shirataki Miracle Noodle

• Display

Images

Default Re: Shirataki Miracle Noodle

Quote Originally Posted by Possum2 View Post
    These sound interesting but two things would/do bother me - they are from Japan... (radiation effects?) & the fact that they smell funny until *dealt with*?
    I have tried these, they smell strongly of fish until they are rinsed, for a very long time and then they become tasteless but have a very rubbery texture. I won't buy them again, for me they just don't deliver as a pasta substitute. I prefer shaved or julienned zucchini any day. They are worth a try though, very inexpensive and some people really love them. It is a Japanese food, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily made there.
    Channy ~ Wife, Mother, Girl Scout Leader, Business Owner, Wannabe Chef & Domestic Goddess
    +5C Veg +Limited Dairy +Nutty Experimentation

Hi, I like Mircle Noodles there is a smell when first opening the bag, I find rinsing well or boiling for about a minute eliminates the smell. My understanding is that the noodles sold in both the US and Canada are all manufactured in the US. they stopped using materials from Japan and now use Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and China for any materials. Our favorite dishes with the shirataki noodles are soups, lots of veggies, and stir frys Hope this helps.
    Last edited by liv; May 20th, 2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: taking out commercial link

Images

We have been on 'auto ship' from miraclenoodle.com for more than 2 years. We always get the angel hair pasta. I just read the label, and it says "Made in the USA", so that worry about radiation does not apply. My hubby eats these every single day for lunch, as a stir fry with protein and veggies. He is very slim, and has great cholesterol numbers. He rinses them in hot water, drains, then microwaves them for 1 minute. Next he throws them into the pan with olive oil and stir fries, adding the protein and veggies on top. He likes hot so he adds something spicy from the Asian market (he has lots of varieties of sauces for that purpose). I don't notice the 'fishy' odor anymore, but that may be because he has been preparing them for so long.
    "Man cannot live by bread alone" but we sure can get fat eating it!! My weight loss story: http://www.sprgallery.com/low-carb-living/

Blog Entries
    Images

That is how I prepare them as well. At this point I think if someone served me a rice or wheat noodle - I would think it was weird.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12