Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirataki Miracle Noodle

• Display

Thumbs up Shirataki Miracle Noodle

Tonight's dinner, Shirataki Miracle Noodle.

Shirataki has zero net carbs and calories. It is made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan. This has been used in Asian cooking for thousands of years.

The noodles have no flavor of their own, I tried a bite after rinsing and blanching, no flavor at all. The noodles absorb the flavors of the sauce they are cooked in and they can be used with many sauces, often used in Asian cooking, and can even be stir fried. I made mine with no-sugar added spaghetti sauce. I used about a cup of the sauce with meatballs and the Shirataki noodles, it came to about 8 grams of carbs and was quite filling.

The texture is a little chewy, not quite what most people are use to, but I like it! I do wish the strands were shorter, they are hard to cut with the fork as you are eating, next time, I think I'll snip them as I drain them.

I'll buy them again... Soon. I bought mine on line, but I will check local Asian markets and health food stores to see if I can find a local supply.

Next time, I want to make a chicken soup with these noodles, it should be much like Rahman Noodles.
    Food Log: http://www.fatsecret.com/member/WebNuts

46 year old, 5' 9" male from Wisconsin.

1/11/12: 284
    2/11/12: 268
    3/11/12: 261
    4/11/12: 263
    5/11/12: 257
    6/11/12: 260

--

12/31/12: 237

Goal: 200lbs... Then keep on going!

Default Re: Shirataki Miracle Noodle

Hi webnuts, I believe they are not allowed until rung 6 on OWL. I could be wrong, have never used them myself.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Images

I find they hit the spot now and again as a pasta substitute, though they are not really much like pasta at all. I too snip them when rinsing... and rinsing....and rinsing...and rinsing...so as to avoid the "phew!".
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Why wouldn't they be allowed until rung six? The yam bean (Konjac) is neither a legume, nor related in any way to a yam or potato. The part used to make the noodles is it's non-starchy corm (tuber) that sort of looks like a jicama. We're allowed to eat some other very low-carb tubers (turnips, jicama, radishes, fennel, daikon, etc).

Personally I think once you get off induction there needs to be an element of "WWAD?" (What Would (Dr.) Atkins Do?). He's gone now, so he can no longer update his list of legal foods, but I think these would have definitely been on the menu if he had known of them.
    Back in the game, back with my ADBB family Let's get to work!

Blog Entries
    Images

I think we usually say rung 1
    It is not on the induction list but it is as you say just a veggie and non starchy veggies we usually try out on rung 1

I use it with my foods quite often.

That makes sense to me, Liv.
    Thanks for the fast reply, I was curious.
    Back in the game, back with my ADBB family Let's get to work!

Blog Entries
    Images

there are some that are mixed with Tofu and they will have more carbs. Tofu is soy and soy is a legume so with those kinds it would be better to rung 6. the ones I usually get are mixed with sea weeds.
    so there are many versions out there.

Blog Entries

Chicken soup is a good idea. I usually make some sort of stir-fry. I add shredded cabbage to it to make the noodles go further.

And to get rid of the stinkyness--I rinse, microwave, repeat.
    Start Weight: 233
    Goal Weight: 130
    Height: 5'5"

MG 1: 210 - Met 10/22/10
    MG 2: 190 - Met 12/27/10
    MG 3: 170 - Met 4/28/11
    MG 4: 150
    MG 5: 130

80 pounds down since 8-31-10!

on a Japanese cooking show, the chef rinsed the noodles, then put them into boiling water for a minute or two, then drained them and rinsed them in cold water, then it was simmered with the other sukiyaki ingredients.

I tried it and it not only got rid of the odor, it also decreased the rubberband-like chewiness.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

These sound interesting but two things would/do bother me - they are from Japan... (radiation effects?) & the fact that they smell funny until *dealt with*?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast