Thread: Dilemma: Medication lowers blood sugar, which means I *have* to consume more carbs.

• Display

Default Dilemma: Medication lowers blood sugar, which means I *have* to consume more carbs.

I am finally ready to get myself back on track for good. Unfortunately, I have Type 2 Diabetes and my PCP put me on two meds to combat my high blood glucose levels (they were HIGH). The meds work fine as long as I consume a "normal" amount of carbs. The problem is consuming a regular amount of carbs causes me to GAIN weight (I won't even maintain).

WWYD in this situation? Go off the meds? I wholeheartedly believe in Atkins and Know it is the right WOE for me, so a different approach isn't something I am willing to consider.

Restart: 4/3/2012

Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels

Mini Goal 1: Lose 10lbs.

Default Re: Dilemma: Medication lowers blood sugar, which means I *have* to consume more carb

Hi..I too am a diabetic..I was on Atkins for 2 years..got off meds ..lost the weight.. then My husband was killed by a drunk driver..and I got completely off track..for a long time! I am now ready to take control again..I have been back on Atkins for about a month and I am once again off the insulin completely! If my doctor was not on board with Atkins..I would find a new doctor.. it is that important to me! But I agree with you..you cannot do Atkins and stay on your meds..because you will have low blood sugar! High blood sugar causes long term damage to your cells..low blood sugar can KILL you in one instance!

Default Re: Dilemma: Medication lowers blood sugar, which means I *have* to consume more carb

I too have type 2 Diabetes. I was just diagnosed in January. And at 1st I thought let me just see if the meds work, but then my vision became blurry, and I was just a mess. February 15th I started Atkins and my vision is back. I just got retested for my A1C levels in January is was 10.9 as of yesterday it was 6.9 and I am down about 17 pounds. My doctor was not in total agreement the the Atkins WOL...but yesterday when he gave me my results he said keep doing what you are doing. I am hoping in July (my next blood work) I will be able to come off the medicines. That being said you should not go off of any medications - maybe a 2nd opinion....from a different physician.
    Best of luck.
    Patty

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

S/C/G: 186/154/134

Sorry to be late, I just found this place.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR!

Diabetes meds are not all the same.

Some force more insulin production, no matter what. On these, if you don't eat enough carbs, your BG will go low and you will be hungry. Sulfonylurea drugs are in this class (Glyburide aka Glibenclamide is an example).

Some drugs "encourage" insulin production and self-limit. Lows are probably less likely with these, but anything involving more insulin makes weight loss more difficult. Januvia is one of these. When I wasn't able to get going on Metformin due to stomach issues, I was using that, but not long enough to really know how it affected weight loss - my program keeps evolving. It did work great on the BGs w/o making me hungry.

IMO, the best drugs for our use are those that improve the way our bodies use the insulin we make by fighting insulin resistance. Metformin is the oldest, and probably the best of these for weight loss. It is hard on many people's digestive tracts, it took me several weeks - starting by cutting the smallest pills in half - to work my way up. (Actos and Avandia also apparently decrease insulin resistance, but have had side effects that make some doctors wary of prescribing them.)

The ER or XR (extended release) form is easier on most people's stomachs. Oddly, this wasn't the case for me.

YMMV - good luck.

Exercise is also seriously good for lowering insulin resistance. Low/controlled carb should be mandatory treatment for Type 2 diabetes IMO. Once again, I AM NOT A DOCTOR. I am type 2 diabetic and overweight, on metformin, exercise and fairly low carb. I'm sort of in the OWL phase - induction worked great when I was younger, but seems to cause issues now - and I also do lots of low intensity aerobics. (Actually, I'm not sure what phase I'm in.)
    Last edited by bobn; July 15th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Images

Bobn, i like that post and especially your last line...........lol
    (Actually, I'm not sure what phase I'm in.)

The late, great, Dr. Atkins says in his book that if you are a diabetic, when you eat the Atkins WOE you will have to adjust your meds with your Doctor's knowledge and consent. Check with your doctor and he/she may adjust your meds.
    Starting Weight - 208
    Goal Weight - 160