Thread: No Carb Dip

• Display

Default No Carb Dip

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in this or not but today, after scouring the Internet for "zero carb dips" and not finding any that were truly zero carb (although I'm sure they're out there and I just need to keep looking) I came home from the grocery store and toyed with this. Since I'm doing induction, I try to keep carbs from "sneaking in" if I can avoid it. If I can trust the food labels, then I believe this to be zero carb.

I mixed crumbled goat cheese and enough Duke's mayonnaise to get the desired consistency I wanted, but I would guess that the goat cheese was about a quarter cup and maybe 4 or 5 tbsps. of the mayonnaise. I wanted it creamy. I used a bit, not a lot, of Mrs. Dash (original blend) just to give it a little something extra. (The label claims no carbs.) It takes a moment or so for the Mrs. Dash spices to soften into the dip, but they do. This seems to be good with celery sticks, and I would imagine carrots, although I'm not eating carrots during induction. I suppose other crumbled cheeses, such as feta, bleu, etc., can be used, or even soft cheeses that aren't necessarily crumbled, but I like the "tang" of goat cheese.

This post is just a "for what it's worth". If anyone has other zero carb dips, would you share them? I'm trying to keep things interesting.

Default Re: No Carb Dip

Hi Grammy,
    That dip sounds very yummy, good for you.
    Since your topic is about finding something that is absolutely zero carb, I have to let you know.......your dip isn't completely carb free. I am so sorry.
    Cheese has trace carbs - even mayo can have trace carbs. So depending on the amount that you are eating.........there will be carbs. When a label says zero carbs....what that means is that it has less than 1 carb per serving. If it less than 1 - even 0.9 - companies are allowed to say zero. Those 0.9 can add up though. Hard and semi-soft goat cheese has 1 carb per 1 oz.

Don't get discouraged though - your dip is significantly low. As long as you aren't eating it by the cup full, it won't have a large impact and is definitely worth it. It will get your fat content up and help you eat your veggies. Do keep an eye on the amount of cheese you are eating.....that is limited in Atkins.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Keep it up, we are all interested in what you find.
    Here we go again.................

Thanks, 2ndTime!

I had a sinking feeling it was too good to be true. So, my no-crust quiche I keep in the fridge for breakfast also has a collection of those "zero on the label" trace carbs hiding inside. Wow. I have to start paying attention!

Thanks for letting me know about this. I can see I need to pick up a good carb counter this weekend.
    Last edited by Grammy; April 13th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Grammy, online trackers like fitday count the carbs for you. I generally count anything that says 0 and I know it cannot be as half a carb per given serving.

But you are supposed to eat up to 20 NET carbs daily, with most of them coming from vegetables. Eating 0 carbs is NOT going to make you lose more quickly. In fact, the closer you can get to 20 NET carbs (TOTAL LESS FIBER) using mostly veg, the better of your losses may be, not to mention your nutrition.

Also be careful on using a lot of cheese amd mayo and those add on ingedients. The stars of your meals should be your fat and veggies. Those other things are embellishments - don't let them take over your meals.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Thanks, chinadoll! That's actually encouraging. I like veggies, and, to be honest, I can only eat so much cheese before I begin to feel sluggish. I'm going to do a little reading this weekend about net carbs (back when I read my first Atkins book in the 80s, I don't remember them mentioned). I'll enjoy this a lot better if I'm not so restricted.

This site uses the 2002 DANDR book (last one written by Dr A) and the stuck threads in the Ongoing Weight Loss section of Atkins Phases also has a lot of information. I found it made a big difference for my ability to stay on plan. Even now I get more than 75% of my carbs from veggies every day and the variety keeps me sane.
    Jill
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Wow, I do need to get caught up! The book I have is the original one from way back in the 80s and I can see things have changed. I'm going to pick up the latest one this weekend and curl up with that and a celery stick.

NO, GET the 2002 version. That is the official version for this site and the one most of us veterans view as the best. The newest one was written by someone else and pushes the Atkins products more.
    Jill

Oh, I'm glad I caught this before I took off! 2002, got it. Thanks!