Thread: Graves' disease update

• Display

Default Graves' disease update

Diagnosed with Graves' 2 years ago, although I suspect I'd had it for at least 12 years. Did 18 months on carbimazole. Came off it in November and Graves' came right back after a couple of months, with a vengeance. Had radioactive iodine I-131 ablation yesterday in the hope that it will either make my thyroid normal or slightly underactive, in which case I'll go on replacement thyroxine. Had a moderately generous dose of the I-131, so it may kill off my thyroid completely - I'd rather be underactive than overactive because apparently it's easier to manage, and the flare-ups really knock me for six. Currently on steroids to manage the thyroid eye disease flare-up while my dying thyroid pumps out all its stored excess hormone, so expecting it to get worse before it gets better - could take 3-6 months before it's all done. Back on carbimazole next week. Fortnightly bloodtests to come to monitor the demise of my thyroid
    231/221/140
    Exercise in the morning before your brain figures out what you're doing!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Graves' disease update

Wow, you have a lot on your mind with all this. Thanks for taking the time to update us. I hope things improve quickly for you. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing with everything.

5'6", 45/F, Mom of 3 boys Army wife Highest weight:198lbs/Lowest:125lbs/Current:144lbs

Hanging in there - my eyes haven't been affected, thankfully. The past 2 weeks have not been pleasant, but I suspect most of that was the side-effects of the steroids; I'm weaning myself off them now and should be done in a week. I get the results of my first post-treatment bloodtest tomorrow to see what's happening.
    231/221/140

Blog Entries

Hope you see improvement as you wean off the steriods. How did the blood tests turn out? I have learned to get my own copies of blood tests, ultrasounds, etc. Its not enough just to hear the dr say "it's ok". Take care.

5'6", 45/F, Mom of 3 boys Army wife Highest weight:198lbs/Lowest:125lbs/Current:144lbs

My thyroid levels have started to return to normal; FT3 and FT4 have started to come down, and TSH has shown a tiny increase (0.003 instead of <0.001). Turns out the steroids were too high a dose for too long (prescribed by another consultant), so I'm stopping them as of today on the usual consultant's instruction; I'd done most of the weaning-off by now anyway so I don't think I'll get withdrawal symptoms. Coming off the anti-thyroid meds completely at the end of June so we get a clear picture of what my thyroid's really doing. Bloodtests monthly until I hopefully go underactive, then onto thyroxine for life, but I should get free prescriptions for that. Feeling pretty good The Graves' flare-up caused by the radio-iodine is calming right down.
    231/221/140

Sending positive thoughts your way, Kil
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

I was diagnosed with it 20 years ago. Did radio active iodine uptake and am now hypothyroid. Doing ok except for dry mouth, dry skin, etc.....