Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Diabetic Board

• Display

Default Welcome to the Diabetic Board

I was approached recently by the Mod's here to help moderate this Forum because through my posts on the ADBB most of them know I came to Atkins primarily because of my Type II Diabetes.

OK I'll give you a little of my background. About 2&1/2 years ago I was diagnosed w/Type II Diabetes. Here in Singapore the doctor put me on a med from France called Diamicron & active ingredients were Diazide & Gliclazide. At that time I bought & read The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program : Break Your Carbo-Insulin Connection to Heart Disease by Rachael Heller (Author), Frederic Vagnini (Author), Richard Heller (Author) which has a lot of similar things to say about the relationship between Carb's & Diabetes that Atkins says. I recommend their book to all Diabetics as it contains lot of useful information.

I watched my diet somewhat, took the med's & things got a bit better. Then I let things slide & my weight continued upward & I started to get some classic Diabetes degenerative symptoms (cracking feet,etc) also the Blood Cholesterol, Blood Pressure (all the X factor syndrome items) were also not good, so much so, that in late May of this year my doctor wanted to put me on insulin. He also told me if I didn't get this under control I would probably be dead within a decade. He was trying to scare some sense into me & he did.

I told him to give me 2 monthes I had something I wanted to try 1st. He agreed. At that time I had a friend who had great results w/Atkins so I was interested. That weekend I went out & bought the book(DANDR) & read it cover to cover.

On June 1 of this year I started Induction. 2 monthes later I went in to see my doctor, I had lost around 20lbs & my Blood Glucose, HBA1C, Blood Lipid levels, Blood Pressure had all improved significantly. I told the doctor my daily BG readings were getting so low I wanted to dump the med's. He agreed w/the caveat that I monitor them closely & if they went back up to resume the med/s

They did go back up slightly for a time but then started coming back down as I increased my exercise & started taking some Vita-Nutrients known to help Diabetics (more about that later)

Now this week I did my 6 month bloodwork. It appears for all practical purposes the Diabetes is gone. My Blood Glucose levels are normal & the HBA1C (3 month average) is in the 'Nondiabetic' range. My blood pressure & cholesterol readings were all greatly improved once again.

I have a glucometer & test my BG levels sometimes several times a day. They are pretty steady within the 90-110 band now amost 100% of the time. Very few highs & lows either. At 1st glance is would appear my Diabetes is 'cured' however don't be fooled. Somone once posted a very good point although obesity & Type II Diabetes are closely linked, not all fat people are diabetic & not all diabetics are fat, some of us just have a genetic predispositon to the disease, that will not go away. However, if you follow the Atkins plan your Diabetes will go into complete remission, just don't fool yourself, if you go back to the old high carbohydrate way of eating it will come right back.

For people that want to lose weight Atkins is a great workable WOE, for us Diabetics it is a neccessity & a truly a lifesaver. My grandmother died a ugly death on diabetes losing limbs to amputation etc, if she had the info available to her that we all have now she would have had the option, like we do, of curing herself & staying alive much longer.

Another great reference is Dr Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution" please buy a copy if you are diabetic. Amazon has it. He is a practicing doctor who has Type 1 Diabetes & also advocates a low carb diet, there are chapters on glucometers & other diabetic only issues that make this book a 'must have' for us Diabetics.

Finally I have played a lot w/Vita-Nutrients. The ones that I find really help stabilize my BG levels are Chromium Picolinate, Grape Seed Extract & Lipoic Acid. Lipoic Acid is not cheap but once I added it to my daily intake my BG levels smoothed right out.

As far as this forum I am a reluctant leader in some ways because some of the diabetic issues are very technical & deal w/life & death issues to some extent & I am no doctor. Also the med's that are prescribed in the US do not seem to have same active ingredients as what they prescribe in Asia so I dont' know much medwise. Also like the rest of us I am not independently wealthy so spend a lot of time earning $$ to support myself & my family, so there are constraints on my time too.

One final note: If you are Diabetic, practicing Atkins or not, & reading this please post your experiences here so that we may share info. We want to build this forum into a library that can help anyone who comes here to learn. Bottom line; the more info there is the more people can get helped by visiting us.
    I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once

Started June 1, 2003
    Start 229/ Now at 188/ Goal 175

Straight White Male, Married, 56 Years Old looking for........

Bump

Started June 1, 2003

bump

Started June 1, 2003

Thanks for sharing . My grandmother suffured terribly too. Thank God we have found this program,it truely is a life saver!

Phil
    being here is half the battle won,
    where are you?

Male,50
    293 on11/9/04
    Goal is 210

Quote Originally Posted by pgreen6840
    Thanks for sharing . My grandmother suffured terribly too. Thank God we have found this program,it truely is a life saver!

Phil
    Yes, Phil, I know what you mean. My grandfather, who passed away in 1973, suffered from diabetes (double amputee). And although it wasn't diagnosed as that at the time, he had Alzheimer's. Although, as with many people with Alzheimer's, it's not detected from the very beginning, it was first very obvious with him in 1967 (I was 13 at the time).

I've also heard that diabetics MAY be more prone to Alzheimer's than most. Don't know if you know who James Doohan is (he played the part of Scotty in the original Star Trek TV series). Well, apparently he's a diabetic and, over the summer, it was revealed that he is in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

The following is an article from WebMD

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/...?printing=true

[quote]Diabetes Linked With Alzheimer's Disease

Diabetes Damages Brain Cells, but Other Factors Contribute

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
    on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Feb. 19, 2004 -- Abnormalities in insulin's action can also increase risk of Alzheimer's disease. In a study involving mice, researchers have found that insulin resistance can cause some of the brain cell damage typically seen in Alzheimer's disease.

The study is the first to demonstrate a biochemical link between insulin resistance and Alzheimer's disease, write the researchers.

Lead researcher Markus Schubert, PhD, with Germany's Klinik II und Poliklinik f

Dear Shawnee: I just read your story and I thank you for the words of wisdom...

I was just diagnosed type 2 diabetes 2 weeks ago. At first I felt terrified...then tearful...and now I am just confused...I have so many people telling me what I should be doing and what I should not be doing...what I should eat, and what I should not eat...according to the Amerian Diabetes Association the right way to eat is to incorporate whole grains, and fruits with the veggies; and low amounts of meats and fats. But my mind is still fixed on Low Carbs. I cannot go back to Atkins totally, because the fatty meats made me sick (I have a bad gull bladdar). I fell off the Atkins wagon because of craving for fruit and whole grain foods. While I don't think Atkins woe will be the best for me, I am still a low carber at heart....I will probably look for a plan that will be low carb, but without so much fat.

In the meantime I will be searching for menu ideas for simple, low budget meals with a diabetic, low carb benefit.

F/ 61+ /5'1"/ Start Wt:260 Goal Wt:200
    Start Date: 1-1-05

Default Re: Welcome to the Diabetic Board

Hi all. I'm new to this board and just found the diabetic board. My story. I'm a 51 year young male. I'm about 5' 11" and 6 weeks ago I weighed 278 lbs. That is what I consider my happy weight. I could pretty much eat what I wanted and stayed at this weight. I have been as big as 310 and as low as 256 on a strict low fat diet. I hated it and there was no way I could consider this low fat diet as a way of life. In April of 2005 it was discovered that I had a 90% blockage in one of my heart arteries. Turns out two others were 70% blocked. Fortunately I had no heart damage and have completely recovered from Triple Bypass Surgery. Surgery was a breeze but the recovery was ****. I quickly regained my massive appetite and was back to my happy weight and feeling fine. Back to Adkins. I had been told that diabetics could not do Adkins and stupidly never checked. When someone finally enlighted my I thought I'll try it. I figured that maybe I would have to cut my daily Lantus (time released insulin) in half but boy was I wrong. I totally cut out the Lantus but still took my Glucavance once a day (had been on two). My blood sugar is consistanly below 120 and averages 105 to 110. BINGO! I wanted to lose some weight (26 lbs. in 6 weeks) but the sugar levels have made me estatic. If all I have read in the book is true and I can keep my bad cholesteral good and my good much better, I'm hooked. I have noticed that I feel much better overall and don't get worn out during the day as bad. What choose do I have but eat low carb? No brainer. The charts say I should be at about 190 lbs. but I'm thinking 200 to 205 would be good. Can't wait to see. Most of my 26 that I have lost is in my face and chest area or at least that's the way it looks. My gut hasn't gone down much but IT'S GOING TO. I'm determined. Well I've gone on enough. If anyone has any questions about anything I left out or comments please feel free to reply (publicly or private). On the way down. Darius (AdManPro)

I am new to this board..I have had type 2 diabetes for 1yr now. I was doing really well with the Atkins and had my A1c down to 6.3. I have really messed up for this month and would not even think of going for my A1c test right now. I am getting back on the program and will get this under control again..

I am walking to California with the Route 66 group. Come and join us
    SW=195 Nov30 2011
    CW=171.2 June 20 2012

GW=150

Quote Originally Posted by buddysgirl50 View Post
    I am new to this board..I have had type 2 diabetes for 1yr now. I was doing really well with the Atkins and had my A1c down to 6.3. I have really messed up for this month and would not even think of going for my A1c test right now. I am getting back on the program and will get this under control again..
    Welcome to and specifically, to the Diabetic Forum!!

You'll find a wealth of information and support here.

I'm sure you'll do fine!!

Blog Entries

Any advice for Type 2 diabetics who are fighting diarrhea? (It's apparently a "bug" I picked up from my mother who I was nursing through this the last couple of days, not any life-threatening symptom of anything.)

All the books and advice I have seen over the years advocate things that are not Atkins-friendly other than water! I am drinking sugar-free Sprite and eating sugar-free jello, and tried a cup of organic chicken broth yesterday, but nothing stays in my system very long. Any helpful hints? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast