Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 1/1/04 - QUIT SMOKING CHALLENGE

• Display

Well I know ya didnt lose over 50 pounds due to lack of willpower.... Throwing more reasons and excuses aint helping either way. All I can say is, you know ya need this, I know ya need this, now its time to do it!!! Pick a quit date, plain to be frigin miserable for a few days and get it over with.
    Goal reached 2-14-2011
    Body Fat: 7.8%
    Lost 78 lbs, 19 inches from waist

Its been awhile since I checked in but just wanted to say still going strong and smoke free since Dec.24 I feel GREAT. I really feel a difference in my body and no cravings I have sat in the car with others that were smoking and was fine. I have yet to test out the bar scene with out a smoke........ Now all I have to do is get my butt in check with induction I keep cheating
    Did Atkins last year lost alot of weight in under 3 months had an accident gained it all back.

Bren
    don't be to hard on yourself, it has taken me sooo many tries to get to this point. When you are 100% ready you will do it!!!! In all my attempts to quit before I always used some typre of patch or gum, but this time I said **** NO!!!! I just had my last Newport and that was the end of it. Thats how I knew I was ready I didn't think twice I just put out the cig and I only had taken 4 drags. ( I had been smoking a pack a day for over 6 years plus more on weekends) Anyway I have not had really bad cravings, others in my house smoke yet I have never got to the point of even asking for a cig and I hope I don't. My point is when you are ready you can/will do it :smileangel
    Did Atkins last year lost alot of weight in under 3 months had an accident gained it all back.

Congrats on your success jerzeegrl! I smoked and used the patch together when I was trying to quit (not a good idea). I finally gave up the smoking, and after one week with the patch only, just went cold turkey. It was the same kind of revelation - I was just ready to quit. I haven't had a puff since.
    ~ Elleth

40/f 5'5" Start 10/18/2003 - 180/133.0/125

Hi Bren,

Everyone has to decide to quit for the right reasons. If you do it for a New Years resolution or something like that, it's not likely to stick. I know, I've done those before. You have to be properly motivated and really reach the point where you have decided that it's time for you not to smoke any more.

Personally, I decided that with my 45th Bday coming up it was time to stop being the poster child for a heart attack and actually do something about it. For me, being 100 pounds overweight and smoking a pack a day was a way of life for a long time. Now I just don't enjoy being that person any more and I'm making a change.

I think it takes that kind of motivation to successfully quit. Not that I have successfully quit yet, but I am highly motivated :P

I wish you the best on reaching your own "fed up" point with being a smoker!!
    started induction 01/04/2004
    295/278/185
    height - 6'

I posted this under another area but thought it would be helpful here:

All of you quitting should check out www.quitnet.com. Here are my quit stats from that site:

Your Quit Date is: 4/7/2003 1:00:00 PM

Time Smoke-Free: 287 days, 14 hours, 49 minutes and 35 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 11505

Lifetime Saved: 2 months, 27 days, 21 hours

Money Saved: $2,448.00

Yes, I quit after 22 years. Since quitting I have gained 30+ pounds which is piled on top of the 30+ pounds I have gained since I stopped low carbing and weight lifting back in 2000. I was/am an atkins dieter going way, way back..........started in 1993. Adding to my misery I have been diagnosed a hypothyroid in October 2003. My symptoms go back to 1999 but smoking hid the major symptoms for many years. I have gained 15 pds since starting the meds for the thyroid and I am trying to get back into induction but it seems nearly impossible to lose weight right now. I am in ketosis for weeks on end and do no lose a pound. My metabolism is shot. I did lose 65 pds on this diet back in 1993, smoking two packs a day and I am certain I will lose again, without the cigarettes once again, as soon as I get my thyroid meds regulated!!

Would I go back to cig's to lose weight? Absolutely not! I can breathe when I move now, I can actually exercise and talk to my exercise buddy at the same time! I can push myself physically without feeling like I will not catch my breathe. I don't smell like an ashtray and none of my clothes are smelly any more. I don't have to roll down the window of my car when it's raining to have a smoke only to have the cherry blow off and back into the car to burn my upholstery. I don't make midnight runs to the corner store to by cigs and honestly, after the first month of quiting I rarely thought about them. My reason for quitting? check out www.caseygoodwin.org Her mother is my best friend going back 25 yrs. You will see from the site that this family suffered two tradegies in 9 months, their latest loss happened while I was visiting their home and having to watch a mother's agony at being informed of the death of her second child was nerve racking but, I did not smoke.

My weight gain is not healthy to be sure but smoking is WAY worse than being over weight. I hope those of you that want to quit are successful! To be honest, having kicked both things at one time in my life, (weight and smoking) I have to say that quitting smoking was really the best!.

Good Luck!!

Kim

I think the patches are stalling my weight loss. I lost 10 pounds the 1st week and haven't lost an ounce since. Have tried cutting out the cheese and olives. No good. But in doing some reading it occurred to me that the patches may be screwing up my metabolism.

So today I'm patchless and mean as a gut shot grizzley.

But if I lose a pound, tomorrow I won't care :smileangel
    295/278/185
    height - 6'

Quote Originally Posted by cmf
    I think the patches are stalling my weight loss. I lost 10 pounds the 1st week and haven't lost an ounce since. Have tried cutting out the cheese and olives. No good. But in doing some reading it occurred to me that the patches may be screwing up my metabolism.

So today I'm patchless and mean as a gut shot grizzley.

But if I lose a pound, tomorrow I won't care :smileangel
    I could be wrong here but I thought nicotine increased a persons metabolism and when someone quits smoking there metabolism slows, explaining the weight people usually gain.
    Goal reached 2-14-2011
    Body Fat: 7.8%
    Lost 78 lbs, 19 inches from waist

What I read was that the patches, like smoking, release the nicotine irregularly, which causes up and downs. I don't see any downside to trying it to see if it makes a difference. It's really the only thing left that might be holding me up on my weight loss.

As long as nobody gets hurt, it's worth a shot.
    295/278/185
    height - 6'

Blog Entries

Thanks you all that replied to me.

FEBRUARY 24, 2004

that is it!!!!! No ifs ands or BUTTS!
    I have set that date as I am going out of town on that date. Leave predawn, business meetings and will have no opportunity to smoke.....I will book a non-smoking room. I will do this.
    One good thing as I will be away from the smokers here.
    Did someone say the third day is the hardest? If so I will extend my trip for one day.
    Bren
    female

218/150 calling it goal!
    3/30/03

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast