Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Its all in your head

• Display

Default Re: Its all in your head

just read this again. still true. every word
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Daily Checklist: 88 oz water daily - 90% of carbs from veggies - honoring dairy limits - weight work - cardio

been needing to re read this--just didnt realize how much until I read it again tonight.
    Jill
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Daily Checklist: 88 oz water daily - 90% of carbs from veggies - honoring dairy limits - weight work - cardio

I actually came across this the other day...I needed it too.

Scraping off the shame of failure is hard to do for me.

It's a learning curve.
    2/17/2019 SW: 226: CW: 219: First Goal, 4%: 217
    Phase: Rung 1, 20 carbs about.
    Exercise: 45-50, 5 days a week
    Stats: F, 46 yo

I agree. We all need to re-read it often!
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll View Post
    IT'S A MENTAL GAME

I have started and stopped this journey countless times over the past decade. I have gotten lost, found my way back, stumbled more than once. I have probably lost 300 pounds or more all told, but times when I have gained back have made what was probably a two year journey a ten year saga.

This past year has made me realize, more than ever, that this is not about the food or the diet as much as it is about my personal will, determination and plain stubbornness (both good and bad). I was really stuck for a long, long time between 230 and 245. I couldn't push past 228 no matter how hard I tried. This year I was able to break through and am finally making real solid progress again. And I am getting a better and better handle on why.

I have seen quotes in folks' siggie lines that said things like "Every crunch brings you closer to goal" or "every bite off plan leaves you further from where you want to be".

Needless to say I never really bought into it. There were lots of times when I ate a LITTLE off plan (not a binge) and didn't gain. Sometimes I might even get really lucky and lose. And exercise is great, makes me feel good, but did it really hurt to miss one run or one weight session here and there? Probably not from a physical standpoint.

But...

I now realize that the decisions to eat those little off plan bites and those lazy days without exercise did far more damage than I realized. Recently I have recognized more and more that this is all about your mental game. Every time I fail to do what I should I am weakening my conviction to see this through to the end. Every time I blow off the gym I am breaking the promise to myself to do what's best for me. Every time I take "just one bite" it makes it easier to do so the next time because I have already told myself
    it's OK once before so I know I am flawed and can't fight the urge.

This is the real danger of not following through each and every day. We have all seen it---we get close to where we want to be, everything is humming along and then--we fall apart for no apparent reason. Overconfidence. Stubbornness that we can handle it. A refusal to surrender completely to the plan and just follow it as it should be.

I know I can't play around with this and lose. In fact, I can't even lose on Atkins--I have to go the extra step to the Candida diet. But I know that total surrender is the only way I will get to goal. I can no longer kid myself that a pretty good effort is good enough. Not for a 52 year old woman who has been obese most of her life. Pretty good doesn't cut it. And as far as cheating and getting back on? Well we often say don't feel guilty just get back on plan quickly. We say that because guilt often leads to feeling bad about ourselves which often leads to even more binging. The fact is we should feel a little bad. Because we are worth it and we let ourselves down. We broke a promise. But the way to fix that is to promise to do better next time and get busy at doing it, not wallow and eat even more.

So, I am just spouting off to tell all of you who have been fiddling around, seesawing a bit, not really losing but not doing too bad, that it may be time to reevaluate your commitment to yourself. Are you giving it your all? Or are you coasting along? Have you been lax? Has "good enough" been good enough?

Just saying...
    can i just say, THIS is the most informative and interesting and important post on this entire site that i have read so far.
    it IS all in the mind.
    i truly have personal experience of using my mind to hang on and not die.
    even doctors are finally realizing that the mind and the attitude and ones psyche play a MAJOR role in medical matters (and of course in everything)

i cried when i read your post because i felt your shame. shame? obesity is an illness. a condition. should my friend be ashamed she is in a wheel chair cos her legs don't walk? should i be ashamed i was crippled with a condition for 30 years? the fact is. I WAS ashamed. and i remember how it felt. and that is how i understand. but it is not ok. no. not ok. this is antiquated thinking. obesity means you over eat because you have to to feed your ill cells. one is not just greedy! its ben proven again and again. why do low calories diets not work for obese patients? cos they are not weak. most of these peeps are not weak willed. they desperately want to be thin.it is not, n9r ever was, calories in calories out. no. wrong.

i also hate this shame thing when it comes to the 25% of our countries population who suffer with the damned with the terrors of depression. they feel ashamed. so they hide it.

NO SHAME NO SHAME NO SHAME. obesity, they are working out, is a thing that sadly happens to some peeps and THAT is why one over eats, cos one is bigger and needs more and is driven beyond endurance to eat more then eat more of the wrong things. etc etc.. not the other way round. that is your are going to be obese, you will be. genetics (and other scientific things). gary taubes has some fascinating proof of all this. he even suggested it might be genetic. wow.

i am very sensitive and cant bear to read and feel someone really suffering. but you know what, don't be so hard on yourself. even Jesus had a day off. you're beautiful.you re giving. kind. generous. never get down on yourself cos it compounds the issue. this is my specialized area. miss 'down on herself', here , lol.

''"every bite off plan leaves you further from where you want to be".'' i don't believe that at all. it might be exactly what you need.

and finally, i don't believe anyone 'should feel bad' about anything we talk about here. and IMO the reason we nearly get there then fail is not due to over confidence, its due to fear (the reason we do most things) its what will being at goal bring? scary notion.

think about it xx with sincere good wishes
    'whether you think you can, or you think you can't. you're right.'
    henry ford

Hi Roses4ever, I am replying to this wayyyy late, but SHAME is not in this from my end. It is a reality for me, for my body. I am a slow loser and frequently do not see results for my work so for me I need to keep myself in the (head) game and not stray when I don't see the scale moving. Those little strays can accumulate and create a real slowdown so this IS my reality with weight loss. Staying on the straight and very narrow (I have candida issues too) is what got me down 110 pounds. Loosening up caused a regain that I am now taking off again. Each time the trail gets narrower, due to my age. There was shame in the past but staying the course without cheating means an acceptance of this as a lifestyle. Some folks can take a cheat day here and there, but it is not true for all. Others find a single cheat will start a downward spiral. I found that out the hard way. But I appreciate your sensitivity and concern. <3
    Jill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234