Thread: Cholesterol test has scared me

• Display

Angry Cholesterol test has scared me

Morning,

My story is this.....started Atkins about 7 months ago and found this way of eating really works for me, the only time I struggle is when I travel.

I have lost 14kgs and prob 3kgs away from where I want to be at the moment.

I am 40 years old, active @ the gym 4 times a week, don't smoke and in pretty good shape but I do have a history of heart disease in my family

We had a wellness day @ work yesterday and had my blood pressure, glucose levels and cholesterol checked.

Blood pressure was 122/77, glucose was 5.0 but my cholesterol was 6.29 as an overall pinprick test!!

Now my head in a tizz with questions of should I maintain the way I am eating but now just switch to more of a low fat / less animal fats version of eating?

Should I stop Atkins for 6 months and do a low fat / healthily carb combo (really dont want to do this)

I must admit I have started to cheat more lately not in a high refined carb way but having that odd large packet of crisps, would stopping all of my cheating drop my levels down?

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

Thanks
    Russ

Blog Entries

That's within the normal range, so there's nothing to worry about. There is a great deal of hysteria around cholesterol, check out a book called 'the great cholesterol con' by Dr Malcolm Kendrick.

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Cholesterol test has scared me

Cholesterol is not what people used to think it was. I would also recommend you take a test to see where the different markers are like hdl, ldl and tri glyc so you have the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Cholesterol is not what people used to think it was. I would also recommend you take a test to see where the different markers are like hdl, ldl and tri glyc so you have the full picture.
    Morning,

Did the fasting blood test and my results were the following:

Total cholesterol 5.3
    LDL 3.3
    HDL 1.6
    TRI 0.82

With those numbers and what I have read my HDL & TRI numbers are really good and if I can get my LDL down to 2.5 or so I have ideal numbers.

I am going to take the approach of reducing my number of times I cheat with Carbs and change small things like not having double cream with my coffee in the morning and only full cream milk

Blog Entries
    Images

Double cream rocks - do not change it
    Eat lots of meat
    Eat veggies
    Do some exercise instead - it will improve your numbers.

From the studies I've done here in the US the LDL figure is a math formula that is not accurate when the tryg are so low. I agree with Liz, don't change the cream, but do cut out the crisps. You have great numbers.
    x32X4x8x25x3