Thread: Pepper Planks stuffed with Jicama, Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms

• Display

Default Pepper Planks stuffed with Jicama, Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms

Induction Friendly recipe from the Washington Post:

Pepper Planks Stuffed With Shrimp, Jicama and Shiitakes Recipe Details | Recipe database | washingtonpost.com

This is an appetizer, but it can be made into a main entree by changing the serving size. Likewise, if you cut the planks in half width-wise, this becomes finger-food for parties.

Also you can change the ingredients.

Don't have shiitake mushrooms? Use whatever mushroom you have.

Don't have jicama? Use water chestnuts (which are also on the Induction Acceptable Foods List) or use finely chopped cauliflower or leave it out completely.

Don't like shrimp? Use tuna or salmon or crab.

Don't like any seafood of shellfish? Use chicken or turkey or any other kind of meat.

Don't like peppers? Make the filling bake it in a dish and eat as you would any other hot dip.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Pepper Planks stuffed with Jicama, Shrimp and Shiitake Mushrooms

Is there something missing from the recipe
    I did not get what they did with the jicama

the 2 1/2 ounces of chopped jicama and 6 ounces of chopped shrimp go into a bowl and just hang around waiting until you finish cooking the scallion-mushroom mixture.

Combine the cooled scallion-mushroom mixture with the jicama and chopped shrimp in a medium bowl until evenly incorporated.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries
    Images

Ahh - yeah OK - that would leave it fairly crunchy I am guessing. I somehow thought they may have wanted to pre-prepare it.
    OK - I though that was a cool recipe. I like to cook with shrimp so I am going to try this.

I have all the ingredients at home, liv. Well....I don't have shiitakes but I do have about 2 pounds of button mushrooms.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

Images

Love mushrooms, and Shiitakes are my faves- this is enough to make me swoon!!! What a nice, versatile recipe. Can't wait to make this!
    F, 44, 5'6"
    SW 148.8/CW 129/GW 118
    Restart: 143/127/118
    OWL 8