Thread: Low Carb Gardening 2013

• Display

Wink Low Carb Gardening 2013

It's that time of year, gardeners!

what are you planting?

What are you planning on planting?

Here's the link to last year's thread: http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ng-2012-a.html
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Default Re: Low Carb Gardening 2013

I was able to do garden work this weekend!

I sowed some lettuce. Next week, I'll put in the snow peas and probably the Swiss chard.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

So far it's just tomatoes...been snowing here still. LOL
    Atkins makes me

I want to be a BIG LOSER!

I planted sugar snap peas, direct sowed some spinach and started the heirloom tomato, Cherokee purple, in peat pots (I'm hoping to plant them in late May-early June)
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

This year is my first year (attempting) vegetable gardening.

I'm in Zone 6B, so I missed my early-spring window due to all the hustle and bustle of the honeymoon. So I got a lot of starters from our nursery and put in cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, squash, bibb and romaine lettuce, and spinach. In the next weekend or so, I will get tomatoes and peppers to put in the ground. I'm a little anxious still because we can get a late freeze. If by Sunday, the 10 day forecast doesn't dip below 40 at night, I will pull the trigger.

Next year, I really want to do it by seedlings, but we just moved to this house and I was not able to prepare everything in time.
    Visit my Journal Chat for daily banter, thoughts, accomplishments, and struggles.

Re-re-re-restarted 4/29/2013 at 317 lbs and Size 28/3X.
    Current stage: Non-Atkins "Keto" and "Intermittent Fasting (IF)"
    Female - Age 30 - Size 26/3X - Height: 5'4".
    H/C/G: 345/299.8/Health

Quote Originally Posted by Telorida View Post
    This year is my first year (attempting) vegetable gardening.

I'm in Zone 6B, so I missed my early-spring window due to all the hustle and bustle of the honeymoon. So I got a lot of starters from our nursery and put in cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, squash, bibb and romaine lettuce, and spinach. In the next weekend or so, I will get tomatoes and peppers to put in the ground. I'm a little anxious still because we can get a late freeze. If by Sunday, the 10 day forecast doesn't dip below 40 at night, I will pull the trigger.

Next year, I really want to do it by seedlings, but we just moved to this house and I was not able to prepare everything in time.
    You can still direct sow leaf lettuce or spinach, but you'll need to harvest them as "baby" greens because they'll most likely bolt if you let them fully grow.

Also, you can direct sow a "fall" crop of lettuce and spinach in early August. I typically wait for all the seeds to go on sale (usually towards the end of June) and buy the discounted lettuce and spinach seeds. I'm in Zone 7 so I can do my fall planting as early as late August, but September is the best.

This year, I'm going to try Brussels sprouts as a fall crop and a winter-hardy kale.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

Right now we have tomato, strawberry, pumpkin and watermelon growing. We had radishes, but have already harvested and eaten them. About to plant squash, broccoli, and cabbage. I love growing my own vegetables! It's my first year doing it.
    Extended Induction
    Began 6-10-13
    232.2/217.2/165
    F/5'5"

CHALLENGES:
    20/24 Challenge
    July ABS Challenge
    July W A T E R Challenge
    July 2013 Push Up Challenge
    July 2013 Exercise DVD/Video Challenge
    The Simple and Self Motivating Pedometer/FitBit Challenge... Join Any Time
    July Resistance Band Challenge ... S T R E T C H - S T R E T C H - S T R E T C H

Images

I'm growing herbs and they are all coming along nicely, I've got some tomatoes and chillies and two zucchinis and a few strawberries where I freeze the fruits
    We moved into this house late last winter and I had to wait what was coning out of the beds (all flowers) so I can plan for the next summer. I would love to have a raised bed to have a mixed vegetable bed. I'm not sure we will manage that until next year, but otherwise I'll just have some more veggies.
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)