Thread: Spinning (and I don't mean the kind with a bicycle)

• Display

Default Spinning (and I don't mean the kind with a bicycle)

Anyone do this?

I thumbed through a book about spindle spinning in the library over the weekend. It looked interesting.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Default Re: Spinning (and I don't mean the kind with a bicycle)

I have had a go at spindle spinning, Megs, as well as using a wheel a long time ago, and once I got the feel of it I found it not too difficult to get a reasonably even yarn.

My husband even had a woodworking friend make me a spinning wheel, but then life got complicated and I never took it up.

If you can find a group of spinners to join up with you will learn much quicker than just using a book or internet instructions.
    I had planned to join a local group of spinners and weavers, who were very welcoming when I contacted them. Maybe one day I will.

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Default Re: Spinning (and I don't mean the kind with a bicycle)

I've watched people at craft fairs spindle spin (a very hypnotic experience, imo, lol)

I'll have to look around and see if there are any classes. I get bored in the winter months.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham