Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothyroid

• Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hypothyroid

I take .137 synthroid. I always have trouble losing weight and keeping it off. Does anybody have this problem?

Default Re: Hypothyroid

Anyone with thyroid issues will have difficulty losing weight. The thyroid hormones have so much to do with metabolism and this is why.

Have you have a full thyroid panel and testing done? Are they testing your T4 and T3 and for antibiodies as well? Many doctors only go by T4 or TSH and unfortunately, this isn't always enough for many people. Your TSH can be in range and you can still be undermedicated if you don't also address if you are not getting enough T3 converted b your thyroid from the T4.

Here's a good link to which tests you may want your doctor to do for you:
    Recommended Labwork | Stop The Thyroid Madness

It is possible to still lose weight with thyroid issues, even if you're not medicated right. I sure did. But it does help to make sure you're on the right medication for your thyroid issues too so work with a doctor to make sure this is correct and take the time to read up on these things too, especially the T4, T3 and Hashimotos and why they need to be treated properly. My endocrinologist was NOT treating my T3 at all and I have gotten this addressed finally and am feeling much better. The weight loss is still slow but it's better than being overweight and miserable forever.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Hmm my endochronoligist tested for free T3 and & T4..is that right?
    Laura
    S:178.2/C:172.2/G:145
    Started Induction: April 1st 2013
    Hypothyroid (synthroid .137)/ Anemic

It's good to test those yes. Were they in range? Was the T3 or T4 high or low in the range? These things can matter to make sure you're getting the proper medication.

Did he or she also test for thyroid antibodies? This can help determine if you have Hashimotos or not and may alter your treatment. This is the autoimmune version of thyroid issues.

If you are on T4 only (aka Synthroid) it's good to know what your thyroid issues are and get your T4 and T3 optimized. This will help with weight loss and symptoms (fatigue, dry skin, hair loss, etc.).

Eating right will be very important too. You can still lose weight regardless, it will be slow either if you're on the right medication or not, so don't let this deter you. A lower carb diet can help alot here.

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!

I will call my doctor monday about that then post the numbers...
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by skinnybysummer View Post
    I will call my doctor monday about that then post the numbers...
    OK sooo
    T3 -> 4.8
    T4 -> 16
    TSH -> 1.06

Apparently these are all in a healthy range. Thoughts?
    Laura

Do you have a copy of these results (or having them sent to you?)

It's helps to have the ranges and what they actually tested. I.e. is T3 Total T3 or Free T3, same for T4 and what was the range? Did they test TPO or suspect you could have autoimmune issues with the thyroid?

It's hard to tell without the range, and which they tested. Sorry for not being clearer. Ask them the send you a copy of these results so you can see and have it for your records.

Your TSH is okay but that alone isn't the best indicator of thyroid health.

Overall, I'd guess your thyroid medication is doing "okay" but it's hard to tell without the above information. Regardless, I wouldn't get hung up on this as a major issue in your weight loss. It will be slow, whether you're 100% properly medicated for thyroid or not. But eating healthy long term, and following Atkins correctly, will be your best plan for long term and permanent weight loss.

I just found out about 2 months ago that I am hypothyroid. I start induction tomorrow, this will be my first try while on medications. I was gaining fast and feeling horrible before I started on Levothyroxine. I feel much better, but not sure how my weight loss will be affected. Crossing my fingers!

Induction Date: 7/17/13 -BEING FAT IS HARD, LOSING WEIGHT IS HARD - PICK YOUR HARD! Fit by Fourty!
    192/185/130

Blog Entries
    Images

I also use levothyroxine. It was really an eye opener for me to get on it. As I had become quite sluggish and did not know well.
    I think the medication helps once it has been stabilised so your weightloss journey should be just fine.

Images

I, like others mentioned, take levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed in 2008, and the medication has helped me tremendously. Sluggishness and inability to lose weight were part of my problem; I also had other classic symptoms: hair loss, carpal tunnel in both wrists.

Once diagnosed, I was treated with the generic version of the medication, but a side effect for me was severe nausea every morning. I would almost need to pull over on the way to work, I needed to wretch so badly. I went to an endocrinologist, who switched me to brand name Synthroid and bam! Nausea gone.

Long story short, being on Synthroid definitely helped with both the sluggishness and inability to lose weight. I was recommended to also take Vitamin D3 supplements - you can have a look at the article linked below and our thread in the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to learn more about why Vitamin D is essential to thyroid function, especially if you don't get enough sun.

Why is Vitamin D So Important to Thyroid Patients?

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...nts/114045.htm
    Pat aka Lakeside Trish F/48/5'2"
    S/C/G - 168/155/140
    Journal / Stats / Fat Secret

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Pledging Flights - Virtual Buildings I:
    Clifton Suspension Bridge
    Route 66 - Illinois
    President's Challenge - week 2 PALA
    6WEC Challenge (start 7/21)

Are you taking your vitamins? Visit the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to discuss supplementation on Atkins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast