Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Cheat?

• Display

Images

Default Did I Cheat?

Hello all!

We went to Olive Garden today for lunch and I was just wondering what you guys think. I decided not to get the salmon because last time, it was terrible.
    Anyway, here's what I had:

2 large salads (no croutons, no carrots)
    3 teeny tiny "lightly breaded" shrimp
    chicken Parmesan w/o sauce and I removed as much breading as possible
    substituted squash and zucchini for the side of spaghetti
    water

its weird because I'm usually really confident about my food choices at restaurants, but now I'm uneasy and this just feels like a cheat to me. Could have been better, I suppose, but it could have been a lot worse. (Could have eaten the croutons or gotten soup instead of salad or eaten the spaghetti)

What do you guys think? Do you ever eat a bite of someone else's food like I did with the shrimp my husband ordered?

Default Re: Did I Cheat?

Quote Originally Posted by daynalyn View Post
    Hello all!

We went to Olive Garden today for lunch and I was just wondering what you guys think. I decided not to get the salmon because last time, it was terrible.
    Anyway, here's what I had:

2 large salads (no croutons, no carrots)
    3 teeny tiny "lightly breaded" shrimp
    chicken Parmesan w/o sauce and I removed as much breading as possible
    substituted squash and zucchini for the side of spaghetti
    water

its weird because I'm usually really confident about my food choices at restaurants, but now I'm uneasy and this just feels like a cheat to me. Could have been better, I suppose, but it could have been a lot worse. (Could have eaten the croutons or gotten soup instead of salad or eaten the spaghetti)

What do you guys think? Do you ever eat a bite of someone else's food like I did with the shrimp my husband ordered?
    I think with the phase you are in and eating this little bit of "extra" isn't going to harm you at all. I don't feel like it's a cheat. Now if you were on Induction...then I may have a different answer.
    Atkins makes me

I want to be a BIG LOSER!

As you are in maintenance phase now, eating some breaded shrimps probably would not be a "cheat" unless you had learned in OWL that this is one food that your body reacts badly to, so are "cheating" your body by giving it trigger foods.

You may find you feel increased craving or get stomach problems, increased scales readings or bloating as a result, but if you stay on plan this should only be tenporary

I am in premaintenance and now and then do have a small serving of higher rung foods if I fancy them.

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

I wouldn't consider it a cheat at this point either.. but...like Elizellen said...have to watch for that slippery slope.
    A while back I did similar. And I was fine. Then I did similar again and still was ok.. but... this thing can happen in your thinking that says, that little bit did me no harm, and those "little bits" become more frequent (at least, that's what happened with me) and then the scale moved up a bit and all of that had to come to a screeching halt.
    So, just be careful that it doesn't happen too frequently like it did with me.
    178/135-138/135
    5.6 sz 4
    restarted Oct 25, 2011
    Maintenance now

more info in profile if'n ya need it.

Images

Hi everyone and thank you so much for your responses.

I thought I'd come back with an update. Turns out I am one of those people who cannot veer even slightly off plan without serious consequences.
    Over the weekend, I ate 2 pieces of breaded chicken (picked off most), 3 measly lightly breaded shrimp (seriously, tiny), and drank some low carb beer.

I GAINED SIX POUNDS!!

anyway, I ate at induction levels and pounded down the water today. I'll probably do the same for a couple of days before I weigh myself again. The worst part? It goes straight to my gut. Ugh! This is getting out of control.

What a lousy consequence to eating off plan just a little!!

At least it will be motivation for you not to 'stray' again in the future. Lessons learned the hard way usually stay in our memory so can help us stay on plan in similar circumstances.

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Images

You are right. It is lousy!! I mean, come on, it's not like it was a loaf of bread and a chocolate cake!
    I have to be much more careful from now on because apparently, my CLM is only about 25. It's just a bummer that after maintaining for quite a while, something so minor could have such a big effect.

How has the rest of your health been?

Have you had an accurate body fat % done? If you're having problems sticking to a certain number on the scale, it could be that your body just doesn't like that number on the scale. Most women tend to be healthier at around 21-33% body fat. If you're less than that, it could be hard to try and stick to that number on the scale.

How are you feeling?

You should be able to eat at maintenance levels of calories and carbs and maintain. That is what maintenance is about. I find it odd that just eating what you did caused you to gain like that. I can eat what you did easily and not gain, and even lose from it and I have thyroid problems that make weight loss problematic and was very very overweight for decades.

It sends up all kinds of red flags to me that your body isn't quite happy and is trying to tell you something here and no, it's not about eating a little off plan. Perhaps your plan isn't just isn't right because your body isn't in the right state to maintain. I find it hard to believe that your CLM is 25, unless you are post-menopausal and diabetic. Honest. The problem very well may be that you are sitting at way too low of carbs. (side note, you may gain as you add more carbs if you've been undereating for a long time, but eventually your body will heal and adjust and lose again)

Until you heal your body, it's going to keep doing this, just an fyi.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Images

Hey Daynalyn! Bummer about that gain! 6lbs is a LOT for such a measly kind of off plan weekend! I've had 'refeeds' before (300+ carbs, low fat day), while eating very LC.. LC meaning 35 net, and I only had a 3lb gain the next day. I am suspecting that you might have some metabolic issues from eating in a deficit for far too long to low of carbs and calories. How many cal do you have in a day? You're calories should also be at maintenance levels, such as, your body weight x 15 for maint calorie level, would be a start. That kind of a rebound is really big for those types of foods that you ate. (sorry hon, just trying to help)

Bizzy is right now. I would try to heal your body, eat more, add more carbs in.. from veggies, increase by the power of 5. I dont think that eating 5-10 more carbs a day from broccoli etc, would really cause you to gain. Just giving this a thought here.
    Jami

Images

Hey guys. First of all, thank you so much for your thoughtful and informative responses.

Bizzlekitty, I typed the wrong thing. It's my CCLL that is between 20-30. I have not had an accurate body fat % done and that's something I really should do. Also, I probably should have disclosed that it wasn't really "some" low carb beer. More like "a lot."

As far as how I feel physically, I feel fantastic! Seriously, better than when I was 18, so I'm not too sure what would be wrong with my body unless, like you said, it just doesn't like being at that weight. I've been to doctor after doctor after doctor and had all kinds of tests done and they are all completely normal and I am told that my diet is exceptionally healthy. I even had one doctor tell me that it would be ok if I weighed as little as 105. That was shocking and I haven't been back to see her!

I ate at induction level on Monday and was up another lb on Tuesday, making it a gain of SEVEN lbs in 4 days!! Continued induction eating on Tuesday and was down 3.2 lbs on Wednesday. Yesterday I ate tons and tons of veggies (not induction level) but didn't weigh myself. Weighed this morning and was back up 1.6 lbs.

Basically, I'm going in to this weekend about 5.5 lbs heavier than last Friday. Unbelievable bummer. It's getting to the point where I feel like I should take the "goal" banner out of my signature.

We are also having BBQs tomorrow AND Sunday and the bar will be open all weekend (starting in about 20 minutes). I will not be having any more low carb beer though, that's for sure.

Oh, and Jami, I've never heard that about 15x your body weight for calories. Thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure I do eat about that much, if not more, but I'll check with the tracker.

Thank you again and I Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast