Thread: Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

• Display

Images

Default Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

What is Vitamin D, and why do we need it?

Vitamin D is manufactured by human skin when we are exposed to sun - and it doesn't take a lot of time in the sun for this to happen. It takes as little as 10 minutes daily to replenish your stores. This type of Vitamin D is referred to as D3. The other important type of Vitamin D is D2, which is found in foods such as fish, eggs, fortified milk, and cod liver oil.

In Vitamin D news today, I found the following of interest to anyone concerned about their calcium levels.
    "Vitamin D plays a major role in the absorption of calcium...If vitamin D levels drop too much, the human body replenishes calcium blood levels by removing some from bone. This undermines the mineralization process required for the formation of new bone. Children who are deficient in vitamin D are much more likely to develop rickets.

Adults with vitamin D deficiency are more likely to develop osteomalacia, the adult version of rickets. Osteomalacia refers to the softening of bones, which are much more likely to bow and fracture. Osteomalacia is different from osteoporosis. Osteomalacia is a defect in the bone-building process, while osteoporosis refers to the weakening of already-constructed bone. The main symptoms of osteomalacia are bone pain and muscle weakness."

Continue reading at:
    Vitamin D Deficiency Speeds Up Aging Of Bones

Who might be at risk for a Vitamin D deficiency?

According to the Mayo Clinic, populations who may be at a high risk for vitamin D deficiencies include the elderly, obese individuals, and those who have limited sun exposure. Also, individuals who have fat malabsorption syndromes (e.g., cystic fibrosis) or inflammatory bowel disease (e.g., Crohn's disease) are at risk.

ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY SUPPLEMENTATION. The way doctors measure if you
    Pat aka Lakeside Trish F/48/5'2"
    S/C/G - 168/155/140
    Journal / Stats / Fat Secret

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Pledging Flights - Virtual Buildings I:
    Clifton Suspension Bridge
    Route 66 - Illinois
    President's Challenge - week 2 PALA
    6WEC Challenge (start 7/21)

Are you taking your vitamins? Visit the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to discuss supplementation on Atkins.

2. Default Re: Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

thanks for the posting, pat.

another reason to lose weight since the obese are at risk.

i was at my mom's a few days ago and she was telling me that her doctor wanted to her to add a supplement ... vitamin D. mom is pretty darn healthy for 91 and absolutely hates taking anything. she told the doctor "no" and instead, sits in the morning sun on the deck. while i was there, i coaxed her into taking a short walk around her tiny garden and the flower beds.

doctors orders for me is to not spend too much time in the sun. one oncologist would have liked nothing better than if i never got in the sun again but that isn't going to happen. my other oncologist knows that i will be in the sun but strongly suggest short time frames and lots of sunscreen. sometimes that works out for me and other times not so much. i do have to be careful though.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Default Re: Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

I'm picturing you taking your 91 year old mom around her garden - how wonderful! I lost my mom when she was 63, and that was 29 years ago. She'd be about your mom's age had she lived, but she had a myriad of things wrong - not the least of which was emphysema. Impressive that your mom wants to stay off any kind of med - a little sunshine will be perfect for her.

Good that you keep an eye on your sun exposure, Jo. At five years cancer free, I'm sure you are diligent in all aspects of your life - you are an inspiration for us all in more ways than one.

Regarding my own Vitamin D adventures: I have always been careful in the sun, being of fair Irish-German descent. I never sit or lay in the sun (I hunt out the shade or the umbrella everywhere we go), and I use 30+ sunscreen when out for more than a couple of minutes. To ensure I have enough of what I need I take a D3 supplement as recommended by my endocrinologist. I take levothyroxine (Synthroid) for my hypothyroidism, and Vitamin D is apparently necessary for optimal thyroid function.

Why is Vitamin D So Important to Thyroid Patients?

For our fellow hypothyroid Atkineers, I found once diagnosed and at the right dosage, the Vitamin D helped with any residual sluggishness I may have felt. I don't know if it helped with the weight loss as well, at least in terms of susceptibility to lose, but I will keep it going. I have to check when I get home, but I believe I take 2000 iu.
    S/C/G - 168/155/140

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Route 66 - Illinois

Are you taking your vitamins? Visit the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to discuss supplementation on Atkins.

Images

Default Re: Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

More Vitamin D info, today from CBS News: Deficiency may lead to problems in older age.

Vitamin D deficiency may lead to physical problems in older age - CBS News

"The authors pointed out that as much a 90 percent of older individuals are vitamin D deficient."
    S/C/G - 168/155/140

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Route 66 - Illinois

5. Default Re: Vitamin D - the "Sunshine" Vitamin

i thought another interesting thing the study show as it relates to our woe...

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30