Thread: Co-enzyme Q10: What is it?

• Display

Images

Default Co-enzyme Q10: What is it?

What is Co-enzyme Q10 and why do we need it?

Co-enzyme Q10 has gotten a lot of attention in the past two decades. CoQ10 is an enzyme that naturally occurs in the human body, and is associated with cellular-level energy exchange and antioxidant behavior. CoQ10 is said to be involved in heart and related circulatory functions, energy production at the cell level (ATP) and even in controlling blood glucose levels. The enzyme was discovered in 1957 in beef heart muscle.

Who might be at risk for a CoQ10 deficiency?

According to Dr. Andrew Weil:

"Studies in both animals and humans have associated significantly decreased levels of CoQ10 with a wide variety of diseases. Since this enzyme is found in high concentration in heart muscle cells, deficiency has been associated with cardiovascular problems including angina, arrhythmia, heart failure and high blood pressure. Problems with blood sugar regulation, gingival (gum) health, and stomach ulcers have also been associated with CoQ10 deficiency."

Dr. Weil also asserts CoQ10 can lessen the severity of migraine headaches and improve LDL cholesterol.

Read the article here: Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) - Dr. Weil's Vitamin Library

Levels of CoQ10 decrease with age, apparently declining fairly rapidly after our 20s. By our 40s we can be 25% deficient. The chart below is from a 1989 study that illustrates this decrease over time.

Other sources for info on Co-Q10:

Coenzyme Q10 | University of Maryland Medical Center
    CoQ10: A Supplement Whose Time May Have Come :: Diabetes Self-Management
    Coenzyme Q-10 Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY SUPPLEMENTATION. There are still not enough long-term studies to support claims of improvement in many of the aforementioned conditions, but certainly ask your doctor if supplementation is right for you. The recommended dose for CoQ10 supplementation is 30 - 200 mg daily taken with a meal that has a fat component, as the enzyme is fat soluable. CoQ10 can be obtained through the diet by eating fatty fish like salmon, mackeral, or sardines.
    Pat aka Lakeside Trish F/48/5'2"
    S/C/G - 168/155/140
    Journal / Stats / Fat Secret

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Pledging Flights - Virtual Buildings I:
    Clifton Suspension Bridge
    Route 66 - Illinois
    President's Challenge - week 2 PALA
    6WEC Challenge (start 7/21)

Are you taking your vitamins? Visit the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to discuss supplementation on Atkins.

Images

Default Re: Co-enzyme Q10: What is it?

Dr. Atkins was particularly enamored of CoQ10. In his book Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution, the good doctor wrote:

"When I coined the word 'vita-nutrient', I was thinking of coenzyme Q10. It is neither vitamin (the body can make it from other nutrients) nor mineral nor amino acid, yet it is absolutely vital to our health and vital that we get enough of it. CoQ10 is essential to energy production in our every cell, allowing the cells to live longer. It is universally present in the body, so much so that science formally named it ubiquinone."

CoQ10 kicks off Chapter 10, Vita-Nutrients with Unique Roles. Dr. Atkins listed heart health, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, cancer, and fatigue as reasons for taking supplemental doses of this vita-nutrient.

On page 250 of DAVNS, he wrote: "I take CoQ10 every day and I prescribe it readily to anyone who has a health problem related to the heart, blood pressure, metabolism, energy level or cancer...In most instances 90 mg a day is the bare minimum required to get a theraputic response."

Excerpts copyright 1998, Dr. Robert C. Atkins, Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution: Nature's Answer to Drugs.

ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY SUPPLEMENTATION.
    Pat aka Lakeside Trish F/48/5'2"
    S/C/G - 168/155/140
    Journal / Stats / Fat Secret

My July Challenges
    20/24 Challenge GOAL!
    July Push Up Challenge
    July DVD/Video Challenge
    July Mileage Challenge
    July Abs Challenge
    July Water Challenge
    July Resistance Band
    Can YOU Take Your Vits?
    Ongoing Challenges
    Pedometer Challenge
    Pledging Flights - Virtual Buildings I:
    Clifton Suspension Bridge
    Route 66 - Illinois
    President's Challenge - week 2 PALA
    6WEC Challenge (start 7/21)

Are you taking your vitamins? Visit the Vita Nutrient Solutions forum to discuss supplementation on Atkins.