Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice on clothing...

• Display

Images

Default need some advice on clothing...

this style of eating since march has me down 17 inches overall and 27-28 lbs. from size 14 to size 8 which is getting loose. I feel GREAT.
    BUT
    uh-oh, I also need advice on what to do with clothes now. I have all these other sizes. do I keep them all or donate to charity or what? what's everyone else done? I'm kind of hoarding stacks of clothes now and it's becoming an issue.
    I'm also starting to take in the waist of my newest pants, any tips on alterations? i always end up breaking the needle on my machine. any sewists out there ?
    I wish there was a way to share/trade clothes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    s171/c139/g130

57 female 5' 3"

Images

Default Re: need some advice on clothing...

Hi Jenny,

I've washed and ironed my clothes that are not fitting anymore and have given them to a charity shop. They were happy to get bigger sizes. I think it would feel like a contingency plan when I hold on to them, just in case I can't stick to it again. I don't want any excuses, so I gave them away.
    No idea how to alter the clothes though
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny T View Post
    this style of eating since march has me down 17 inches overall and 27-28 lbs. from size 14 to size 8 which is getting loose. I feel GREAT.
    BUT
    uh-oh, I also need advice on what to do with clothes now. I have all these other sizes. do I keep them all or donate to charity or what? what's everyone else done? I'm kind of hoarding stacks of clothes now and it's becoming an issue.
    I'm also starting to take in the waist of my newest pants, any tips on alterations? i always end up breaking the needle on my machine. any sewists out there ?
    I wish there was a way to share/trade clothes...

Breaking your needles...are you trying to sew through too thick of a fabric?
    Are you opening seams and resewing them properly or just trying to cinch seams by doubling the fabric up?

Needles shouldn't break unless you are forcing them or your machine may have become misaligned.

If you still having trouble, you may consider taking them to a seamstress at a dry cleaners if the clothing is worth taking in. Some of them charge more to alter a garment than they cost to replace it!

Images

I am just folding at the waist in the back and making a kind of dart on both sides to mostly keep from sagging. I do not take the entire waist apart, it seems too complicated!

s171/c139/g130

57 female 5' 3"

As someone who went through alot of clothes on the way...

I highly recommend getting too big clothes out of the house as soon as possible. That way, there is no going back or regaining weight, as you won't have any clothes to wear

I typically took nicer clothes to consignment shops to re-sale. Got a little money out of this. Some I gave to friends that wear those sizes. The rest, I donated to charities.

As for alterations, you may do better hand -stitching rather than machine stitching. Not sure why you're breaking needles unless they are the wrong type for your fabric, or you're trying to switch through too many layers. I'd Google some instructions on how to alter clothes, there's some great videos and tips how to alter things.

If you are pretty close to goal and want to adjust some of your nicer clothes, it may be worth taking them to a place that does alterations and get a quote on how much it will cost and see if it's worth it to have them do it or not.

Either that, or go buy some nice new clothes, the best part of the process for losing weight. Nothing feels as good as new clothes that fit right and flatter your new figure
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

give them away and while your at it try to buy some of your new clothes from a consignment shop so as you grow out of them it's not so expensive. glad your problem is going down sizes and not up!!!
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

Start a clothing swap for other Atkineers lol Glad your melting away

Give your too big clothes away or donate them!!
    By doing this you are telling yourself that you don't have a need for them
    and that your body is ready for your new size.

I gave away ALL my old clothes and just love to go shopping now!

Images

I gave away ALL of my clothes too and now I'm kicking myself. I gained 18 lbs after an injury and literally have NOTHING to wear except sweatpants and t-shirts. Ugh!

You can search on youtube for a video on how to take in the waist of pants, there are quite a few. Here's a link for instructions without a machine and a video clip for starters:

COLORFUL CANARY - Organic And Natural Living: Make it Monday - Easy way to take in the waist of pants (No cutting, no machine)

Congratulations for losing all those clothing sizes!!! If you think you're going to end up at an even smaller size than you are consider buying some inexpensive basics or some second hand clothes for the transition and the shop for nicer things to invest in your skinny wardrobe. Think about holding on to one or two large sized pieces just to remind yourself where you were/ how far you've come and feel really thin when they fall off as you try them on.
    ~Slim~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast