Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol/Statin

• Display

Images

Default Cholesterol/Statin

The dr. has prescribed a statin drug for my high cholesterol, but I really don't like taking such a drug so I tend to forget taking it about 3 times a week.

Is there anybody here taking them?

I saw this in the web:

Are There Side Effects of Statin Drugs?

Most people who take statin drugs tolerate them very well. But some people experience side effects.

The most common statin side effects include:

Headache
    Difficulty sleeping
    Flushing of the skin
    Muscle aches, tenderness, or weakness (myalgia)
    Drowsiness
    Dizziness
    Nausea and/or vomiting
    Abdominal cramping and/or pain
    Bloating and/or gas
    Diarrhea
    Constipation
    Rash

Statins also carry warnings that memory loss, mental confusion, high blood sugar, and type 2 diabetes are possible side effects. It's important to remember that statins may also interact with other medications you take.

Statins Side Effects: Pain, Inflammation, and More

Images

Default Re: Cholesterol/Statin

Toto, how long are you on lowcarb?
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)

As with most things, it's something you should talk to your doctor about very openly, especially your concerns, and what you are doing to lose weight and get healthy by eating a lower carb diet that SHOULD help with the cholesterol if you keep to it for life and if he's willing to wait and see if your diet helps improve your numbers. If not, it may be worth going on the medication for a short term and get tested again in 6 months or so and see.

I have my own personal opinion about statins and yes, much based on the research out there. I also recommend looking into the book Wheat Belly and blogs of the author Dr. William Davis that goes into the causes of high cholesterol which is mostly diet, though some can be familial.

A low carb diet followed permanently and correctly has been shown to lower cholesterol and improve health. So if you keep at low carb for life, your lipid profile numbers should improve the longer you follow low carb.

Please use this as motivation to truly do Atkins for life. Not just to lose weight, but keep your body healthy.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Images

Hi Lori, I've started over again about 2 wk ago, but I must say that I never was a big bad carb eater (bread, pasta, pastry, ect.) my carbs usually can from fruit and vegies, a lot of fruit and vegies but little fat and moderate protein.

My extra pounds have accumulated with menaupause, which I guess caused my metabolism to change.

Thanks Bizzlkityty, I sure will look for the book you mentioned.

My Mon was as skinny as a stick all her life and had sky high cholesterol, maybe I tale after her.

And yessss I will stay on Atkins for life and I must say I have a certain advantage since my husband has been on Atkins since Dr. Atkins published his 1st book. However, I must be honest he's not on Atkins 100% of the time he does have fall-backs, like for example, last summer when we were in Italy and Greece. He did gain a few pounds but after a few weeks back home they were off again.

Blog Entries
    Images

Exercise can be an effective way to deal with cholestorol. If you do decide to talk to your doctor about statins you could bring up increasing exercise (if that is possible for you) as part of your plan to lower cholesterol.
    Did you get a detailed explanation of what was high (like Hdl and ldl etc)

Images

As Bizzlekitty already said, when you are longer on Atkins, the cholesterol should fall and I can only second that you should speak to your doctor about advantages of statins to the risks.
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)

Images

Here are my numbers:

Total cholesterol: 305 mg/dL
    Triglycerides: 110 mg/dL
    HDL: 83 mg/dL
    LDL: 200 mg/dL

I'll be seeing the doctor next week and we'll have a chat

Images

I would have your numbers checked again in a few months. Mine was 344 total when I started Atkins (with medication that I had to start taking when I was only 28!). After only four months, it dropped by over 100 points and I don't need the meds anymore.

Many drs would think that mine is still too high (at 233), but like you, I suspect that it's hereditary. My mom has weighed between 110-120 her entire life and her cholesterol has never been below 300.

Those numbers aren't THAT bad but still, talk to your doctor, commit to Atkins and eating healthy long term and see if he's willing to wait to see if your diet and exercise change helps.

Your HDL is good, it's just that your trigs and LDL are a bit high. Low carb eating over the long term should help improve these. It did for me (my cholesterol numbers have always been pretty good but Atkins made them better)

Getting more Omega 3's in (fish, olive oil), exercise, leaner meats, lots of veggies, avoiding wheat and sugar and processed foods will all help. And yes, exercise too. Do some weight resistance exercise plus cardio. And by all means, don't cheat or fall off the wagon. This is what I've done, just eating meat and eggs, veggies, a little fruit, etc. all on OWL, and my numbers kept getting better.
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Blog Entries
    Images

That is a nice hdl
    I would be thrilled

Just speaking for me I would not go on statin with numbers like that (I do not think my doctor would even suggest it
    If the ldl is what conserns you and your doctor maybe try some exercise. It does not have to be intense but many (me included) find that exercise and ldl levels are connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast