Thread: Transition without gaining weight due to pregnancy

• Display

Default Transition without gaining weight due to pregnancy

Hello,

I've been doing well on Atkins and would love to continue but just found out that I'm pregnant. I've done my homework and know that it's unhealthy to remain on Atkins during pregnancy but I don't want to undo all of my hard work. Does anyone have any advice on how to transition off of Atkins with minimal weight gain? I intend to restart the program after having the baby but would like to avoid starting back at square one.

Thanks for your help,

Melissa

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Transition without gaining weight due to pregnancy

Not sure that it is unhealthy to stay low carb during pregnancy. There are many low carb babies born these days.
    What Atkins did warn about was staying in ketosis as there were not studies done for what happens to the baby during ketosis. But you can still eat low carb
    One of the low carb people I follow - dr eenfeldt had a baby last september and his wife avoided high carb foods during the pregnancy. Klara was born healthy and is a happy one year old (according to the updates)
    He wrote about the experience in his blog
    You searched for pregnancy | DietDoctor.com

So you can work the OWL ladder and add some foods - starting with the lower rungs and move higher step after step and it should work out fine.

Congratulations so much - on expecting. Wonderful news

I did the same thing....got pregnant on OWL. While pregnant, you can follow lifetime maintenance by adding whole grains. Make sure to eat at least 100-150 carbs a day while pregnant (to stay out of ketosis) Get these from things like oatmeal, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, etc. Food that will give your baby good nutrition.

Good luck and have a happy and healthy nine months.

congratulations!

Images

This is what the book says:

The advice offered in this book, although based on the author's experience with many thousands of patients, is not intended to be a substitute for the advice and counsel of your personal physician. If you are currently taking diuretics, insulin or oral diabetes medications, consult your physician before starting Atkins. You will need to reduce and then closely monitor your dosage as you lower your blood-sugar level. People with severe kidney disease should not do Atkins. The weight loss phases of the Atkins Nutritional Approach are not appropriate for pregnant women and nursing mothers.

You are probably raring to start Atkins and begin losing weight. But there are two medically important steps and several practical preparations that will lay the groundwork for your success. First, a crucial warning: People with severe kidney disease (creatinine over 2.4) should not do any phase of Atkins unless ordered to do so by their physician. Also, pregnant women and nursing mothers may do the Lifetime Maintenance phase but should not do any of the weight loss phases of Atkins.
    Best regards
    -Lori

Started at 24th June 2013: 158kg (348 lbs)
    My goal weight is: 70kg (155 lbs)