Thread: Active D'lites ice cream bars

• Display

Default Active D'lites ice cream bars

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with Active D'lites ice cream bars?

The box claims 5 Net Carbs per bar which, according to the nutrition facts, is based on the following:

Total Carbs: 14g
    Dietary Fiber: 5g
    Sugar Alcohol: 4g

Someone brought me a box (vanilla ice cream with a chocolate almond coating—on a stick) and I was astonished at how delicious they are. However, after being bamboozled by Julian Bakery (and their "1 Net Carb-per-slice bread"), I want to make sure the same thing does not happen here.

By the way, the manufacturer is Casper's Ice Cream and more information can be found here:

Casper's Ice Cream - Since 1925

Thanks

Images

Default Re: Active D'lites ice cream bars

Quote Originally Posted by WeThotUWasAToad View Post
    Hello,

Is anyone familiar with Active D'lites ice cream bars?

The box claims 5 Net Carbs per bar which, according to the nutrition facts, is based on the following:

Total Carbs: 14g
    Dietary Fiber: 5g
    Sugar Alcohol: 4g

Someone brought me a box (vanilla ice cream with a chocolate almond coating—on a stick) and I was astonished at how delicious they are. However, after being bamboozled by Julian Bakery (and their "1 Net Carb-per-slice bread"), I want to make sure the same thing does not happen here.

By the way, the manufacturer is Casper's Ice Cream and more information can be found here:

Thanks
    Hi,

Welcome to the board. I see this is your first post here. Please stop by and introduce yourself and tell us a little about your Atkins journey here:

THE SPOTLIGHT INTRODUCE YOURSELF

So about the ice cream...
    I never heard of them, but I never have not looked at ice cream in the stores for many years now. There are a lot of ice cream type dessert recipes made from ingredients allowed on the Atkins plan.

Are you on Atkins Induction? If so, then you must be familiar with the Acceptable Food List for Induction.
    Check and see if the ingredients in the bars are on the list.

If they are all there, you are OK, if not, or if the ingredients sound like a science experiment, then they are probably highly processed and not acceptable.

The sugar alcohols in the bars are problematic. For many people they are non-digestible and thus the manufacturers deduct them from the carb count. However they probably will cause stomach cramps and diarrhea if you consume too much. If you don't have the digestive issues, your body is absorbing the sugar alcohols and you have to count the carbs. Many people here count half the sugar alcohol carbs just to be safe. There is also some research that shows that consuming sugar alcohols can cause an insulin response, the same as if you had eaten sugar.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful responses.

Quote Originally Posted by mission to lose View Post
    Please stop by and introduce yourself
    Thank you for your hospitality. However, there are lots of low-carb diet forums and I'm sort of playing the field until I decide whom to move in with.

Quote Originally Posted by mission to lose View Post
    Are you on Atkins Induction? If so, then you must be familiar with the Acceptable Food List for Induction.
    Check and see if the ingredients in the bars are on the list.
    Yes to the 1st & to the 2nd: Can you explain the rationale behind the "Acceptable Foods" or point me to a site that does? Isn't the main idea to simply stay under 20 Net Carbs per day? By the way, I'm particularly interested in rationale directly related to weight loss and not so much about what's best for one's general health.

Quote Originally Posted by brandywine1241 View Post
    If you don't have the digestive issues, your body is absorbing the sugar alcohols and you have to count the carbs.
    I have to tell you that the above statement gave me a chuckle. Does it correctly mean that—at least from a Atkins-dieter-sugar-alcohol eater's viewpoint—pain & pooping are positives? It doesn't sound very fun to me.

Also, could you comment regarding the following excerpt from the Atkins site (which does not qualify the deduction of sugar alcohols as requiring P&P)?

…since a portion of sugar alcohols aren’t fully absorbed in the gut, there is the potential that consuming too much may produce a laxative effect or cause some gastrointestinal problems. Most people can usually handle 20 to 30 grams a day. To calculate Net Carb count with sugar alcohols, simply subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as fiber, from total grams of carbs. (from: What is the Atkins Diet and Does the Atkins Diet Work? | Atkins)

Originally Posted by brandywine1241

If you don't have the digestive issues, your body is absorbing the sugar alcohols and you have to count the carbs.

I have to tell you that the above statement gave me a chuckle. Does it correctly mean that—at least from a Atkins-dieter-sugar-alcohol eater's viewpoint—pain & pooping are positives? It doesn't sound very fun to me.
    Sorry I wasn't clear about this. There are some people who have no problems no matter how much sugar alcohols they eat. If you are one of these folks, you are digesting them. If you do have digestive issues when you overindulge, you can deduct at least some of the sugar alcohol carbs.

Also, could you comment regarding the following excerpt from the Atkins site (which does not qualify the deduction of sugar alcohols as requiring P&P)?

…since a portion of sugar alcohols aren’t fully absorbed in the gut, there is the potential that consuming too much may produce a laxative effect or cause some gastrointestinal problems. Most people can usually handle 20 to 30 grams a day. To calculate Net Carb count with sugar alcohols, simply subtract grams of sugar alcohols (including glycerin), as well as fiber, from total grams of carbs. (from: What is the Atkins Diet and Does the Atkins Diet Work? | Atkins)

This is what I was trying to say, but phrased in a more delicate, positive manner.

The choice to consume sugar alcohols is yours, but if your weight loss is not satisfactory, you might try eliminating them to see if it helps.