Thread: Anyone there??

• Display

Default Anyone there??

Hello,

I noticed that there hasn't been many posts on this board for quite some time, so not even sure if anyone reads this. Either way, I think it is important for my own sanity to share my story. I have been very successful with Atkins in the past, but I was always on BC. Last summer I came off the BC in hopes of becoming pregnant, I unexpectedly gained 30+ lbs and stopped getting my periods, started to experience insane insulin resistance (constant shakes resulting in overcompenating by overeating), exercise was not helping, my husband left me, Atkins went out the window, and the frustration was unbearable. So, I found a fertility GYN and he finally diagnosed me with PCOS. He directly put me on Metformin, and I have been slowly getting back to normal...I lost about 10 lbs just by simply going on Metformin. I am hoping this time around on Atkins + Metformin will get me to where I need to be. I am currently not TTC, but when I am at a place in my life when motherhood becomes my calling...at least I will be ready!

175/172.5/130

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Anyone there??

Welcome back to our ADBB family!

I am glad that you finally got a diagnosis so can plan your next steps with knowledge instead of groping in the dark.

I wish you well on your renewed Atkins journey towards better health

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

hi jollisop!
    how is everything going?
    i have too pcos, diagnosed since i was 17. however i was not overweight back then, it sneaked up on me after i turned 25...as most people told me :"you will gain weight after 25 and will be hard to lose! ". i hate them

i was never on metformin, however i do have a metabolic resistance. do you find losing weight more satisfying now that you are on it?

i have been on atkins in 2009 and i lost about 10kg, it went very quick and easy. i also managed to keep the goal weight for a long time.
    this time around (post pregnancy) i am having the worst time of my life!! i have been on for 3 weeks on induction, excercising everyday and i still have not lost a pound, not even a gram. still weight pre christmas.
    i am considering to go to my GP as i cannot believe nothing is moving even when i am in ketosis.

did u also have no weight loss prior to metformin?

Hi
    I have PCOS also, but I am not taking any medications just yet. I have been on BC for years with no plans to come off any time soon, so that's enough chemicals for me for right now. I have noticed a huge difference in my body since adopting this lifestyle. I have noticed that my hair is much fuller and falls out far less than it did. (I didn't have tremendous hair loss, but I was starting to notice it more than ever). Also, I have some facial hair growth that has slowed since I started Atkins back in October 2013. It was frustrating and difficult to adopt for me, and I didn't lose any weight at first, but I kept going and it's been coming off steadily which makes me hopeful. I actually haven't started exercising yet because I'm just lazy to be honest but I will soon.
    It's nice to have someone in this forum again, it seems all of the posts about PCOS are very old, but they're actually how I found this site and the people on here are for the most part very helpful and encouraging. You'll find some that can be a little negative and nitpicky, but do what works for you and try to find your balance. Good Luck!

Hello,

My experience seems to be a little different, but I am noticing that is the trend with all women with PCOS. Everyone has different side effects. I was diagnosed less than a year ago, I am 30! I was on birth control for many many years, within those years my weight fluctuated, but I was always able to get back on track. I didn't experience any true weight gain or PCOS side effects until I came off the birth control. When I stopped the BC, I started to track my fertility through the Billings method for natural family planning. I learned that I wasn't ovulating, I was experiencing painful cramps, my weight just ballooned and it wouldn't budge! I did know this at the time, but was the Birth control that was keeping my side effects at bay for so long, and when I went off it hit me like a ton of bricks!

Once I was properly diagnosed with PCOS and high insulin resistance, I was put on metformin. My insulin resistance and my hunger decreased, I saw some change in my weight, and I seem to be finally ovulating more regularly because my hormones are more balanced. However, it is not enough. I need to be strict with my diet and be as active as possible. Without that, I am doomed to be overweight.

From the research I have read, I learned that it is very difficult for people with PCOS to lose weight. I honestly don't know how much I have officially lost on induction, I did lose 6.5lbs my first week...but haven't weighed myself since. I know it's going to be slow going but I am in it for the long haul. This is a great path for us. A low carb diet was advocated by my physician when he diagnosed me, to help keep the IR regulated. Hopefully I will be able to lose weight to go off the metformin one day, but for now it is helping me. Anything is better than a blood sugar crash and the "shakes".

I hope you stick with it! You are surrounded by friends here that are able and willing to help get you though the struggles and celebrate the successes.

I'm here! Recently diagnosed with PCOS but not on any meds. I am on BC though. My endo was thinking of putting me on something but when I told her I was losing weight, she said that would probably be good enough.

Hi, I'm Jen!
    HW 285 CW 239.1 GW 150

Female 5'7
    Start date October 1, 2013

Goals:
    ​230
    220 (New low!)

If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as **** don't deserve me at my best.
    ― Marilyn Monroe

HA! Thanks, Jenn!

You know, this was my very first post on this forum since my re-start of Atkins. Maybe, it will be the start to more questions and concerns for people with PCOS that are following this WOE and kick up the activity on this board a little bit!

I hope so! And, of course, welcome back! I recently restarted myself. Christmas kicked my butt.

Hi, I'm Jen!
    HW 285 CW 239.1 GW 150

Female 5'7
    Start date October 1, 2013

Goals:
    ​230
    220 (New low!)

If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as **** don't deserve me at my best.
    ― Marilyn Monroe