Thread: Atkins avoids Alzheimers

• Display

Default Atkins avoids Alzheimers

Atkins didn't say 'Calories don't count',
    he said, 'Don't count calories.'

Images

Default Re: Atkins avoids Alzheimers

Glad to see someone's writing about this; and thanks for posting Labarum The website asked me for a 1 though and I confess to being too much of a skinflint to pay it. On the internet we get asked for small amounts right left and centre...they mount up.
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

I love that signature! So easy to confuse yourself if you don't read it properly.
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

Blog Entries
    Images

David Perlmutter wrote the book called "Grain Brain" and it has gotten a lot of press. He was on Dr Oz

I think you can listen to the interview here
    Interview: Dr. David Perlmutter | The Dr. Oz Show

Very interesting. My ears/eyes perk up every time I hear I might be doing something remotely near to fighting off the early-onset genes from my dad's fight with Alzheimer's. THANK you for sharing this!

I watched it on YouTube, and I've ordered Grain Brain. Yet, I can't help but fear it's just another new bout of research. I know, somewhat pessimistic but it's such a fear I have. Do any of you know of any other research outside of Perlmutter, re: sugars/dementia, that you've run across? How widely accepted is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    F/35/5'10"
    SW:201 CW:181.0 GW: (a fit) 160-165

"SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD. SO SHE DID."
    X3x9x6

I see the whole text from The Times has been posted here

Why carbs are destroying your brain : LC Research/Media Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

Secondchancer, did your family have genetic testing done with your Dad's early onset? My bil has early onset and they chose not to have the testing done because he has 2 of his sons still only in their early teens and not complete High School yet so they thought if it turned out to be a genetic form of Alzheimer's that it might affect the decisions the boys will make about their education and their futures. It's a dreadfully frightening thing.

My father's sister and my maternal Grandmother both died from Alzheimer's and it sits over you like a cloud. I remember not using deodorant with aluminum in it because at one time they felt that would be a cause.......they've cancelled that thought now and moved on to other things that they are not at all sure about. I try to eat healthy, exercise always and leave the rest to God. I would like to take a long walk off a short pier if I do face that diagnoses. I'd like to make the decision before it gets bad enough that I forget what my decision should be. (One thing is I'm too old to have early onset.........too old to die young too!!)
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

Quote Originally Posted by SecondChancer View Post
    Very interesting. My ears/eyes perk up every time I hear I might be doing something remotely near to fighting off the early-onset genes from my dad's fight with Alzheimer's. THANK you for sharing this!

I watched it on YouTube, and I've ordered Grain Brain. Yet, I can't help but fear it's just another new bout of research. I know, somewhat pessimistic but it's such a fear I have. Do any of you know of any other research outside of Perlmutter, re: sugars/dementia, that you've run across? How widely accepted is this?

I have not read Grain Brain and I have not ever been a big consumer of sugar, so can't answer about sugar and dementia, but I have read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, specifically the chapter about wheat and the brain and recognized signs of cerebellar ataxia from wheat consumption, for which I have had years of treatment at top neurological departments as symptoms of the disorder I have called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

I have always been sidelined when I get to the top rungs and try to add wheat or grains back into my diet. When I couldn't add store bought "healthy" breads back without consequences, I started traditionally preparing my grains by sprouting and grinding my own organic grains, then soaking/fermenting. I had just spent DAYS making crackers that were supposed to be consumed even by gluten sensitive people when I read Dr. Davis's description of cerebellar ataxia and it described exactly the weird feelings I had right after eating a few of those crackers after several weeks of being grain free. It also described some symptoms that I have described to top neurologist which got me prescriptions for so many drugs that I had my driver's license pulled. When I removed all grain from my diet, most of those symptoms were gone and have not returned.

Made a believer out of me. Besides Grain Brain, you need to read Wheat Belly. You can read a short blurb about cerebellar ataxia here: Got that warm feeling? | Wheat Belly Blog

Thanks so much to all! Will read with enthusiasm. Always looking for ways to assuage my genetic angst.

My dad had testing, before he passed. Carried both APo-E 3 and 4, alleles, not a good combo. Some TBIs also, which may have knocked him over into getting it. And there's some thought (since he was 48 when diagnosed), that he may have ef-AD which is early-onset familial type (highly genetic in Germans from the Russian Volga River area, which he was from. Conceived there, but born in US.) This type is not dependent in lifestyle factors, new research tells us, its a new genetic marker (outside of apo E) that says if you have the marker, you get AD. No ifs ands or buts, or lifestyle factors will change that. Scary stuff for me indeed, and I agree with the cloud over my head, Timlin.

I'm choosing not to be tested. How could I? Just to sit and wait for 15 more years? This disease has encompassed my life in every way since I was 12, and I refuse to let it run the second part of it, now that my dad is at peace and I'm just beginning to be able to really live without those responsibilities the past 6 months. I agree with your nephew's/families choice!

I remember we talked about your BIL awhile back. So very sad for your nephews and sister. It's indescribable at such a young age. Thankfully, there are far more resources out there for children/teens with parents of dementia now than there were back in 1990s. Such a lonely place. My prayers go out to your family and if you ever want to pick my brain about being a kid and dealing with it/finding resources for your nephews, I'd be glad to help. I've become sort of obsessed with the new wave of children with parents w Dementia.

Thanks again all! Is there an AD forum here?

F/35/5'10"
    SW:201 CW:181.0 GW: (a fit) 160-165

"SHE THOUGHT SHE COULD. SO SHE DID."
    X3x9x6