Thread: Fire Roasted Tomato Cheddar Chowder

• Display

Default Fire Roasted Tomato Cheddar Chowder

From the new Wheatfree Living Magazine
    Wheat-Free Living Magazine - February 2014 - Wheatbelly

Go to page 26/27 for the (induction-allowed) soup recipe

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Fire Roasted Tomato Cheddar Chowder

Thanks
    That was a cool magazine (I liked the page changing sound)
    I will try that soup.
    But I cannot remember seeing fire roasted tomatoes in the store. I have to look for it. It would give a grill flavour to the recipe I suppose. wonder if I can add a drop of liquid smoke for a similar effect?

Blog Entries
    Images

so I made this soup. But I chickened out when it came time to add the cheddar. My experience with melting cheese into dishes is not good. I tend to end up with a grainy texture I do not like - so I added the cream and decided to sprinkle cheddar on when eating it.
    It was very good soup. I used my canned adobe chilies in it and added a tad of liquid smoke as I did not have fireroasted tomatoes. I also added celery with the onion.

My suggestion for a variation (and to cut the carbs and acidity a bit) would be to add some cauliflower as well.

And if anyone have figured out how to deal with immersion blenders and messes let me know

Blog Entries
    Images

This recipe is not to be found at the link but found a copy out there

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup finely diced onion

2 cups chicken stock

1 28-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes, with juices

Pinch dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, to taste

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)

3/4 cup heavy cream
    Optional Garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, smoked paprika

Directions:

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat; add diced onion and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add chicken stock and tomatoes to saucepan; increase heat and bring to a light simmer, about 5 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and blend, using an immersion blender, until smooth. Return pan to medium-high heat until soup begins to simmer; add thyme, salt, and chipotle powder; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.

Add cheddar cheese to soup and whisk until melted; stir in cream and heat just until hot and soup begins to simmer (do not boil). Taste for seasoning. Serve soup topped with additional shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and dash of smoked paprika, if desired. Serves 4.

Note: This soup is rich and creamy and almost like having a “grilled cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup” in a bowl. Fire roasted tomatoes add a nice smoky flavor to the soup; if you cannot find canned diced fire roasted tomatoes, regular diced tomatoes may be substituted. If you do not have an immersion blender, the soup can be transferred to a regular blender to process until smooth and then returned to the pan; the immersion blender just saves you a step. Chipotle chile powder also adds a smoky, spicy flavor to the soup. You can easily substitute ancho chile powder in place of the chipotle if you prefer a milder pepper flavor.
    It is a good soup

this sounds amazing. I have the fire roasted tomatoes and the chipotle in the pantry now -- will be making it soon! Thanks!
    Jill

Back in ONEderland as of 7/27/2020!

I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way. Last time I went from 300 to 189.
    Current: 253.6/193.0/169 or a size 10 is the GOAL

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Daily Checklist: 88 oz water daily - 90% of carbs from veggies - honoring dairy limits - weight work - cardio