Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: oil pulling, anyone?

• Display

Images

Default Re: oil pulling, anyone?

Have to say I'm a little sceptical about some of the miracle healing powers claimed by some...diabetes...leukemia??? If only!
    But...my teeth definitely a bit whiter, four days in (or is it five?)
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

2. Default Re: oil pulling, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bslim View Post
    I also started doing this. I had a bottle of cold pressed sesame oil lying around (we like toasted sesame oil and this was a mistake , but i had already opened and used some before i realized that it was not the right stuff), so it wasn't getting used and i figured i had nothing to lose.

i googled it several times and read comments; i use less than a tablespoon, some days i can only do 1-2 minutes but other days 10-15 min. My teeth seem whiter and feel smoother, on some sites i read that some people bring up a lot of phlegm and this is one of the body's natural ways to get rid of toxins. IDK if it was the power of suggestion but i definitely notice the phlegm, one day was especially significant, mostly it's just there but i normally don't have this issue. Also i had a sore inside my mouth from biting my inner lip and it healed very quickly.

I have suggested this to someone who is usually very congested, has allergies, and a tendency for asthmatic reactions. He has yet to try it but i will post if he does.

When i googled it one thing that came up was 'oil pulling hoax' but all it said was that there was no clinically proven data (eg. controlled, double blind studies) but it doesn't seem to interfere with conventional practice nor have adverse side effects, although there was a warning about possible aspiration of the oil, and the summary was to try it if it speaks to you.

One last thing, i saw info on the web claiming that it cures (??????) diabetes, anemia, leukemia, asthma, scleroderma,even AIDS (!!!!!!!) so just be aware that some of the support is a grandiose with no absolutely proven medical studies to even begin to back it up. I'm going to keep at it for a while, at least until i finish with some major dental work - hopefully done in 2 or 3 weeks plus two of my kids have braces on their teeth right now, so i think this may be beneficial for them, but alas they are both teenagers and who knows what they'll agree to!
    pretty bold claims.

i continue to work on my time. i'm up to 10 minutes now.
    i've seen "the power of suggestion" phrase used a couple times in this thread and i'm wondering if it's true for me because i really do think my teeth are a bit whiter after i use the coconut oil. i keep thinking that i need to take a selfie of my teeth and another a week later just to see if there is any difference. even if they aren't, i feel my mouth, my gums and my teeth are getting some benefit from this.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

I've been trying this out, hit and miss... and I find that I like it.

When I've tried tray-style teeth whitener in the past, it left my teeth extremely sensitive and even hurt a little.

I first heard about oil pulling (with coconut oil) as an alternative teeth whitener.

I'm also aware that oral health can be tied very closely, and can even be quite indicative of, one's heart/cardiovascular health and general health overall.

So I gave it a go.

As a teeth whitener, I'd say it's almost as effective as the overnight peroxide type tray whitener...With NO sensitivity after treatment. Even more, my teeth have that slick, after-dentist-cleaning feeling for up to 24 to 48 hours after.

As for actual improved oral health, or general health, I can't support or deny any claims.

I have found one particularly interesting side effect though. ... it seems, for me, to work as a bit of an appetite suppressant. ...truth be told, a pretty effective one.

I usually (about once a week I guess) do it while I'm in the shower. It gives it plenty of time, and since I'm distracted washing my hair and such, it doesn't bother me swishing around my mouth. When I'm done in the shower I spit it out.

Over the last nine months I've become EXTREMELY consistent eating breakfast every day. ... on the mornings I do the oil pulling, if I do it before breakfast, I find that I'm only interested in about half the amount I usually eat.

Has anyone else noticed this?

4. Default Re: oil pulling, anyone?

amy, i don't know if it's an appetite thing or suppressant but with me, if i spend so much time on my teeth and they feel so good afterwards i just don't like eating anything to get them all dirty again. i HATE eating after i get a cleaning! however, i do the oil pulling in the evenings so it really doesn't interfere with meals, just a bedtime snack or the final cup of decaf.

i have also found that swishing during a shower works best for me.

my hygienist has told me for a long time not to use the commercial whiteners, the toothpastes that claim to whiten, freshen breath and 100 other things. flouride is what she wants me using, the more the better in any given toothpaste. the most i think you can get in an OTC paste is something like .15% she says all the other ingredients in toothpastes actually harm teeth by breaking down the enamel.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

I do my oil pulling in the morning shower too and then have coffee afterwards (after that I brush my teeth the regular way). Breakfast happens later on, after the dog walk. Can't say I'd noticed the appetite suppressant thing as related to the oil pulling, but now that you mention this, I guess I have been eating a little less lately. I rather put it down to the heat though. I'll try to notice if this stays the same after the summer heat...
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Blog Entries

I love oil pulling, I use and organic coconut oil and it really does leave me with whiter teeth, better breath, and healthier gums. There are a lot of naysayers out there but I love it.

Check Out My Journal at:
    Diary Of A New Me... Starting Four Days Ago!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123