Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipping a Rung?

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Skipping a Rung?

I have been in Induction for five weeks and would like to move into OWL tomorrow (the beginning of my Atkins 'week'). I added almonds and pecans a couple of weeks ago with no problems to extend my Induction. I would like to flip rungs 4 and 5 so I have yogurt and cottage cheese first. Is it okay to do this? I would prefer not to have berries or melon quite yet. I'd like to wait and be able to add berries to my yogurt and cottage cheese instead, once I know whether or not I'll have a problem with those. TIA!
    ~sapphyre~

A plan goes nowhere until it is implemented.

Default Re: Skipping a Rung?

Quote Originally Posted by sapphyre View Post
    I have been in Induction for five weeks and would like to move into OWL tomorrow (the beginning of my Atkins 'week'). I added almonds and pecans a couple of weeks ago with no problems to extend my Induction. I would like to flip rungs 4 and 5 so I have yogurt and cottage cheese first. Is it okay to do this? I would prefer not to have berries or melon quite yet. I'd like to wait and be able to add berries to my yogurt and cottage cheese instead, once I know whether or not I'll have a problem with those. TIA!
    I would advise against skipping Rung 1 (which is an additional 5 net carbs of the Induction vegetables). Those are the safest foods (read: least likely OWL foods to mess up your weight loss). The further you go up the OWL Carb Rung, the smaller the portions (5 net carbs of yogurt is roughly between a 1/4 to 1/2 cup, 5 net carbs of oatmeal is about 1 tablespoon) become and with the dairy products the more likely added sugars sneak into the menu.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

I am confused ... you've already added nuts? Did you do Rung 1 & 2?

You want to switch Rung 4 (Berries & Melon) with Rung 5 (low-carb beer, wine etc.)?

Have you read through the Stickys in this section?

I think everyone here will advise you to follow OWL as the book outlines the Rungs and Rules of OWL.
    EW78

Goal: To master the Rungs and make Atkins a WOL for my health.

If you do not want to ever eat from a certain Rung, then it is OK to skip that specific Rung, but skipping Rung 1 is not an option. I think some people do skip rungs based on allergies or food intolerance, or those who do not have alcohol, but veggies are non-negotiable with this WOE.
    EW78

I think you might be following another book/rungs. I have only ever read the 2002 book and that is the one this forum follows. I just did a quick Google search for "Atkins Rungs" and I see that Wikipedia lists the differently than the 2002 book does. I highly recommend reading the entire book and in the meantime if you go to the beginning of this section (OWL) - there is a Sticky at the top with a bunch of page links to understand how OWL works. I DO recommend moving on to OWL, you just want to make sure you are doing it right Good-luck!
    EW78

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice, y'all!
    ~sapphyre~

Blog Entries
    Images

So in the original Atkins OWL
    veggies follows induction, then dairy then nuts.

So Dr, Atkins thought it was fine to eat yogurt and cottage cheese before berries. And it makes so much sense since they are so much less carby. I do not understand the newer version at all.

The most important is to make vegetables your go to carb and the rest is just in smaller portions
    And when you try something new - you work metodically and evaluate your response ot it.

Since no one else brought this up, I will. Extended induction means following the rules of induction past the original 14 days exactly the same for however long you choose to continue. When you added nuts a couple of weeks ago you were no longer in induction or extended induction. You jumped rungs and proceeded to OWL without the benefit of gauging how the added carbs affected your weight loss or cravings.

It sounds like you would prefer Dr. Atkins original Carbohydrate Ladder:
    1. More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable food list
    2 Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3. Seeds and nuts
    4. Berries
    5 Wine and other low carb spirits
    6. Legumes
    7. Fruits other than berries and melons
    8. Starchy veggies
    9. Whole grains
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Blog Entries

The only book I have is the 2010 New Atkins, not DANDR, though I have been meaning to purchase it. I forgot that this forum followed DANDR when I posed my question. So basically, I should not have asked that question in this forum, and I do apologize. Thanks again for the advice.
    ~sapphyre~

Images

I think the reason why people really discourage it is because it'll affect your weightloss. It'll probably really slow you down and for some of us that's where we fall off the wagon. The 2002 edition also says that as you move higher up the rungs the more carbs they have so you'll be eating less of whatever foods.
    A lot of people have been adding nuts before getting to that rung is that something the 2010 edition allows? I'm personally skipping that rung, but I find it interesting. You're definitely not the only person to have added nuts during induction.
    I think you should give the 2002 edition a chance and see if you like the results. We seem like rule followers and sticklers but, honestly, we see results---and fast! Don't be discouraged from posting.
    F

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w7c0zEG/weight.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast